An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some people won't go to Heaven

Semperviva

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jun 26 2005, 11:50 AM']lol. This has precedence, actually. The treaty of Brest, which reunited the Ruthenians and the Romans, said:
[right][snapback]624417[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually, the Treaty of Brest reunited the Ukrainian Church with Rome. My Church (the Ruthenian Church) came back into communion with Rome with the Treaty of Uzhgorod in 1646.

But I do get your point.

:D

Guest Eremite

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 26 2005, 01:54 PM']Actually, the Treaty of Brest reunited the Ukrainian Church with Rome.  My Church (the Ruthenian Church) came back into communion with Rome with the Treaty of Uzhgorod in 1646.

But I do get your point.

:D
[right][snapback]624420[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, according to Anthony Dragani:

[quote]These are two distinct Churches (and always have been), although they share a great deal in common. At one time the term "Ruthenian" was used to designate both Ruthenian and Ukrainian Catholics. This led to some confusion. It was Ukrainian Catholic Church that reunited with Rome at Brest. The Ruthenian Church followed later at the Union of Uzhorod, which was modeled after the Union of Brest. It would probably be more accurate to call the Ruthenian Church the "Carpatho-Rusyn" Church, as this Church originated in the region today known as Transcarpathia.

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage_print.asp?number=431202&language=en"]http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage_p...202&language=en[/url][/quote]

The term "Ruthenian" was used for both.

But far be it from me to trouble our newfound concord with a new debate over who's Ukranian and who's Ruthenian. :lol:

BTW, three of the four Byzantine (Ruthenian) eparchies have removed the filioque from the creed.

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jun 26 2005, 11:57 AM']Actually, according to Anthony Dragani:
The term "Ruthenian" was used for both.

But far be it from me to trouble our newfound concord with a new debate over who's Ukranian and who's Ruthenian.  :lol:
[right][snapback]624425[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
As my Ukrainian Catholic friend would say, "Never call a Ukrainian a Ruthenian." He was always pointing out how the Ruthenian Church in Weirton didn't do the liturgy correctly.

The Ruthenians and the Ukrainians are related peoples, but they don't identify with each other. I've experienced it firsthand.

:rolleyes: