An Old School Catholic Message Board

jabs at Catholicism

avemaria40

doesn't any one else think its odd that while it's taboo to say anything bad about Jews, Muslims, etc (and nobody should say nething bad, their ppl 2) its ok 2 talk bad about Catholics(i.e. fundamentalists saying we aren't true Christians, Planned Parenthood saying we don't believe in freedom or choice, even ignorant ppl saying we all have 52 kids b/c we don't believe in birth control)? I just thought that was odd that its ok to make fun of a majority religion, simply b/c of things that happened like at least 500 years ago. just my 2 cents :mellow:

No, its not odd. Today, its the norm.

The catholic religion is quickly becoming the most opressed entity in the world, and we can't say squat about it.

Expect things to get worse before they get better.

Stand tall,
Stand strong,
Be faithful.

That's all I can say.

[quote name='Didacus']The catholic religion is quickly becoming the most opressed entity in the world[/quote]

And how are you being oppresssed?

[quote name='avemaria40']doesn't any one else think its odd that while it's taboo to say anything bad about Jews, Muslims, etc (and nobody should say nething bad, their ppl 2) its ok 2 talk bad about Catholics[/quote]

I hope you are not suggesting that people should not be allowed to speak their minds.

okay... fine... people should speak their minds... unless it's about JUDAISM, ISLAM, HINDUISM, et cetera

anyway, it's not even just people speaking their minds... a lot of it would be considered hate speach if used against any other religious group.

but people are not allowed to speak their minds.

We cannot criticize the government if our speech seeks to incite people to uprising. We cannot disclose trade secrets/military info.

We cannot disclose personal information.

We can't even have religious symbols in places (a form of "speech")

I am reminded that Jesus talks about how blessed are the faithful ones. :) Even in the face of whatever opression we must stay strong.

I am not saying that ppl shouldn't be able to speak their minds, im just pointing out from my own experience how we're always being criticized 4 various reasons, whether it's our religious practices, the Crusades, Holocaust, Inquisition, or our beliefs about abortion, death penalty etc. and we're always told we're being 2 Conservative even though clearly other religions are even more conservative but if u critcize another religion, it's prejudice, while if u criticize Catholicism, or even Christianity in general, it's "free speech" b/c we're apparently still stuck in the Dark Ages or something(even though that is clearly not true)

Melchisedec

I read national and local publications on a daily basis, and I have almost never heard nor seen any anti-catholic speech. The only thing that I could think of that could be considered a "jab" was the issues with child molesting preist. I believe the only criticism I heard in regards to that were that the catholic church new of instances of priest that were suspect and merely just reassigned them, and that they were not quick enough to act more harshly towards the matter. I dont wish to debate any of those things, but merely trying to point out what might be considered an attack. Maybe up north you are inundated with anti-catholic bias. But down south, no one cares about catholicism. In fact, until I joined this forum, I thought it was in heavy decline. This anti-catholic conspiracy is unfounded.

Edited by Melchisedec

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Jun 27 2005, 08:35 PM']I read national and local publications on a daily basis, and I have almost never heard nor seen any anti-catholic speech. The only thing that I could think of that could be considered a "jab" was the issues with  child molesting preist.  I believe the only criticism I heard in regards to that were that the catholic church new of instances of priest that were suspect and merely just reassigned them, and that they were not quick enough to act more harshly towards the matter. I dont wish to debate any of those things, but merely trying to point out what might be considered an attack. Maybe up north you are inundated with anti-catholic bias. But down south, no one cares about catholicism.  In fact, until I joined this forum, I thought it was in heavy decline. This anti-catholic conspiracy is unfounded.
[right][snapback]625756[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Where you from, Mel? Many parts of the South have very few Catholics, but this is not because of "steep decline," but because these areas are traditionally very Protestant, and there were never very many Catholics in these areas to begin with. The fact is the Catholic Church is growing more in the South than any other region of America. This is due to largely to immigration from elsewhere, but also to converts. Where I'm at (Northwestern VA) there were originally very few Catholics, but the Catholic population has exploded by leaps and bounds as Catholics from all over come to join the strong Catholic community which has grown up here, and as Catholic families grow here.

Bill Donahue's Catholic League ([url="http://www.catholicleague.org/"]http://www.catholicleague.org/[/url]) documents anti-Catholicism in the media. Insults are regularly made against Catholics that would never be tolerated in our P.C. society against Jews, blacks, Muslims, or any other minority group. Donahue always asks the question about the various offenses, Would this be allowed if it was about Martin Luther King, Anne Franke, etc., rather than Jesus, Mary, the Pope, etc?

If you want examples, go to the archives on their website.

There is indeed a double standard in the media and in society.

Edited by Socrates

Anti-Catholicism is a big problem, but I think Christianity [i]as a whole[/i] is seriously under attack these days in the Western world. Most young liberals today seem to be suffering from acute Christophobia -- everywhere I look I'm seeing a real, geniune hatred of Christians. Of course, the vast majority of these raging atheistic lefties are horribly misinformed about what Christianity actually is...

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jun 27 2005, 04:23 PM']There is actually a book about how anti-catholicism is the last acceptable stereotype/bias in America.
[right][snapback]625431[/snapback][/right]
[/quote][color=purple]
The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice by Philip Jenkins

Anti-Catholicism in America : The Last Acceptable Prejudice by Mark S. Massa [/color]

[quote name='Nathan' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:27 PM']Anti-Catholicism is a big problem, but I think Christianity [i]as a whole[/i] is seriously under attack these days in the Western world. Most young liberals today seem to be suffering from acute Christophobia -- everywhere I look I'm seeing a real, geniune hatred of Christians. Of course, the vast majority of these raging atheistic lefties are horribly misinformed about what Christianity actually is...
[right][snapback]625824[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Very true. Taking a mocking, derisive, contemptuous attitude towards Christians is the easiest way to prove oneself a "tolerant, open-minded" member of our "enlightened" society.

[color=purple]Sometimes that really frustrates me too... I remember one discussion with a peer back in high school when they said that I wasn't Christian, I was Catholic. I know many of you have heard that before too...

It is so hurtful...and truly distrubing at times...but... then again... Through such trials, we can see that God is calling us to live our faith in every time, especially those of heresy and ignorance, deviance and relativity....

Amidst all persecution and ridicule, what a wonderful opportunity to live for the faith in our often secular and hypocritical society. We are blessed indeed to suffer even this little bit for Christ :)[/color]

Anti-catholicism is rampant in the press and in daily lives. Even in my region of the world which is something like 70% catholic, because most 'catholics' don't practice anymore.

When debating a moral subject, I never reveal anymore that I am catholic unless I have no choice or the people with whom I am debating already know. As soon as strangers know that someone is catholic, that simple fact seems to be enough to discredit you entirely.

Quebec (french province of Canada) is one of the worst places in north america when it comes to anti-catholicism. It very sad. Cardial Ouellette was actually one of the last, if not the last cardinal named by JPII. He was considered one of the 20 most propable successors to the throne of Peter, yet, he resides in Quebec, which is the sespool of liberism in Canada. Now there is a cardinal who has his work cut out for him!

Another thing that returns often, is the attitude that no one can be catholic unless they are ignorant and stupid. i got that a heck of alot in my university days - catholic? but aren't you in engineering? how can you be so smart and stupid at the same time? (of course the people saying this thought it was a funny joke, but it didn't take a future engineer to figure it wasn't 100% joke).

Let me end this post by quoting one of the top 5 dumbest things I ever heard a liberal atheist say:

"If ever I get married, I want to get married in a catholic church. It's soo... sooo... traditional. That church has been around for at least 150 years you know?!"

ignorant dumb-****es.