Laudate_Dominum Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 I've occassionally heard of a Catholic leaving the Church to join the Episcopal church because they are more 'progressive'. I always thought someone that made this move obviously had some major misunderstandings regarding the Church they were leaving. Perhaps I am the one who doesn't understand. We really are missing out on a lot in the Catholic Church. Check out what they've got going on in the Episcopal Church: [img]http://www.layman.org/layman/_images/events/clown-eucharist.gif[/img] [i]The Rev. Dr. James Herbert Cooper breaks the bread during communion at Trinity Church in New York City during a 'Clown Eucharist' service[/i]
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 [img]http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2003/01-06-baxter-inside.jpg[/img] [quote]Elvis impersonator, yes. But we're not talking about just any Elvis imitator. We're talking about a 52-year-old, Elvis-crooning Anglican priest who calls himself "Elvis Priestley." [i]USA Today[/i][/quote] [quote]The church [color=red][independent one he started after his superiors told him to knock it off][/color] doesn't have official status, so contributions are not tax-deductible — at least not yet. But how many other services include Elvis gospel tunes or a rendition of Blue Suede Shoes with the lyrics "Well, it's one for the Father, two for the Son, three for the Holy Spirit, and your life has just begun. You can do anything but don't turn Jesus away"? [i]USA Today[/i][/quote]
reelguy227 Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 22 2005, 07:19 AM'] + = [right][snapback]654054[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Thats clever of you hsmom ,very clever . How can they do such a thing in the house of God ,ugh !!!!
thessalonian Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 Likely the clown is gay as well. The Episcopals are out to lunch.
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 [img]http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/photo/images/g42d.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/photo/images/g42g.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/photo/images/g42i.jpg[/img] If you get to their website, you can download the video of the "service."
reelguy227 Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 (edited) What are they celebrating ,thats a horrible abomination of God ,gosh !!!!! Whats the website ,could I have a link? Edited July 22, 2005 by reelguy227
ForHimAlone Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 Absolutey horrifying! What a mockery! Let's make sure to pray for these poor misguided souls. How sad!
Brother Adam Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 What is most unfortunate is it is not their idea. Catholics were the first in the 70's to have "clown masses".
Didacus Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 I don't find this all that horrifying. OK, I disagree with thier practice and I wouldn't want to take part in it, but I'm not ready to send them to hell and tell them they are spawns of Satan. They're not performing abortions here people! I am certain they feel very sincerely that they are praising God in their own way, and that God is pleased with their church. I am not saying that they are right, just trying to look at it from their perspective. How do you expect any other church to listen to whatever the Catholic church has to say when the faithfuls of the Catholic church are so quick to judge others in the manner already obvious in this short thread? Methnks some amongst you did more than judge but also condemn... and quite harshly I might add... In my church, children from the age of 5-10 are taken aside and brougt in a seperate room for their own little 'mass', is this wrong? (They leave before the scriptures are read and return after the priest's 'homilie' - english? They receive the body of Christ as every one does (if they have had their first communion of course). This is just an attempt to give the children an opportunity to learn the gospel at their level instead of sitting in benches with their parents bored out of their minds becasue they don't understand what is being said. It also allows the children to come closer to each other and exchange amongst themselves in the context of their own young faith. Now for say, if on one Sunday, the children where to be visisted by a clown? Big deal.. as long is everything remains in the context of teaching the gospel... However, I wouldn't invinte the clown to formally partake in the ceremony inside the church itself. And on a final note, who cares how anyone dresses in church? Really? If they have holes in their jeans or anything else? To critisize one's appearance in church is prideful and vanity. So if someone wanted to attend church in a clown suit... so what? However, I do agree their is a line of respect that should be maintained, especially by those offering the service and in this light there is quite a difference between one's appearance and making a theme-park ot of the church ceremony.
homeschoolmom Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 [quote name='Didacus' date='Jul 22 2005, 10:31 AM']In my church, children from the age of 5-10 are taken aside and brougt in a seperate room for their own little 'mass', is this wrong? (They leave before the scriptures are read and return after the priest's 'homilie' - english? They receive the body of Christ as every one does (if they have had their first communion of course).[right][snapback]654200[/snapback][/right] [/quote] We have this too, and from what I understand, it is acceptable... as long as it is not done every week year round. As for what people wear to church... There are many threads here on that. But I think it is safe to say that no matter what people think of how congregants dress for Mass, we would pretty much agree that the celebrant is to be wearing proper vestments-- not a clown suit.
Didacus Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 22 2005, 10:43 AM'][snip] As for what people wear to church... There are many threads here on that. But I think it is safe to say that no matter what people think of how congregants dress for Mass, we would pretty much agree that the celebrant is to be wearing proper vestments-- not a clown suit. [right][snapback]654216[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I agree...
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 I actually found it to be hilarious. My problem with it is that the service doesn't seem to be centered on God, but on an entertaining atmosphere. [url="http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/"]http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/[/url]
Socrates Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 (edited) This clowning around is indeed blasphemous. It did make me laugh, but the whole idea of a "clown mass" is very, very wrong (and I would think, at its heart, satanic), Edited July 22, 2005 by Socrates
zabbazooey Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 Oh my. This is so disrespectful to God. Have they no dignity?? thedude is right, it's not centered on God, but on the entertainment of the people.
Apotheoun Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 It may be sad, but the Episcopalians don't have a valid Eucharist anyway.
zabbazooey Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 I know, but they could at least have a respectful service.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now