Didacus Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 [quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 22 2005, 12:55 PM']Oh my. This is so disrespectful to God. Have they no dignity?? thedude is right, it's not centered on God, but on the entertainment of the people. [right][snapback]654436[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I think the idea is to use entertainment to bring people towards God, and to preserver their interest in God... however such techniques do not belong within a ceremony...
Fidei Defensor Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 I honestly dont think it matters, in this case. Their service is disrespectful to God anyways because it is basically, if i may use this word, stolen parts of the mass put together. The Mass is the only church service that is fully acceptable to the Lord as perfect worship, and when you take parts of it and throw it together, its a mockery of the true worship God deserves.
StColette Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 As for the entertainment thing. Since when did a service for God include having to be entertained by someone. You're not there for entertainment you're there for worship. Seriously we're not supposed to bend Christianity to the way we want it but we're supposed to bend to the way God wants it.
Socrates Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 [quote name='Didacus' date='Jul 22 2005, 01:37 PM']I think the idea is to use entertainment to bring people towards God, and to preserver their interest in God... however such techniques do not belong within a ceremony... [right][snapback]654475[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I don't think I'd want to buy a car from someone prancing around in a clown oufit! So why would I want to buy the religious teaching of some clown? How on earth would this attract anyone to God? Yeah, nothing compells me more than a clown!
Didacus Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 [quote name='StColette' date='Jul 22 2005, 01:50 PM']As for the entertainment thing. Since when did a service for God include having to be entertained by someone. You're not there for entertainment you're there for worship. Seriously we're not supposed to bend Christianity to the way we want it but we're supposed to bend to the way God wants it. [right][snapback]654493[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I agree... have clowns at the corner of the streets invinting people to mass - good thing. Have clowns attending mass and cracking jokes - not good thing.
Didacus Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 [quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 22 2005, 01:56 PM']I don't think I'd want to buy a car from someone prancing around in a clown oufit! So why would I want to buy the religious teaching of some clown? How on earth would this attract anyone to God? Yeah, nothing compells me more than a clown! [right][snapback]654504[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I never said their approach would be successful... Maybe if they handed out free condoms as the people left the service they would draw better attendance?
MissScripture Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 I don't get why they'd use clowns. I have yet to find a child who actually likes clowns! I know I was scared of them.
Didacus Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 (edited) [quote name='MissScripture' date='Jul 22 2005, 02:02 PM']I don't get why they'd use clowns. I have yet to find a child who actually likes clowns! I know I was scared of them. [right][snapback]654516[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Probably becasue the horses they tried the week before would leave little hills behind then. The monkeys the week before left their banana peals all over the benches... ___________________ oops, sorry, correction, those horses where ponies Edited July 22, 2005 by Didacus
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 22, 2005 Author Posted July 22, 2005 it's a profane mockery. Having a clown preside over the eucharist (even if it's just a mock-eucharstist, as in this case) it is implying that Christ was a clown. This is blasphemous. It's saying that the Liturgy is a joke too. Honestly, approaching the Liturgy as a show, and pulling stunts to get people to show up is idiodic because you are drawing people in for the wrong reasons. I would not want to attract hoards of people who would be interested in condom hand-outs. Then what, you have a mob of faithless fornicators desecrating the Eucharist every Sunday. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Why not make the Liturgy true to its meaning and purpose. The respresentation of Christ's Sacrifice on Calvary, hardly a laughing matter.
Apotheoun Posted July 22, 2005 Posted July 22, 2005 I don't let the actions of Episcopalians bother me.
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 22, 2005 Author Posted July 22, 2005 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 22 2005, 06:26 PM']I don't let the actions of Episcopalians bother me. [right][snapback]655006[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Smart man. I agree, it's not worth getting worked up over. But it is interesting to see where the trends are leading. Craziness.
JimFurst Posted July 23, 2005 Posted July 23, 2005 [quote name='Didacus' date='Jul 22 2005, 01:57 PM']I agree... have clowns at the corner of the streets invinting people to mass - good thing. Have clowns attending mass and cracking jokes - not good thing. [right][snapback]654506[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
Lounge Daddy Posted July 23, 2005 Posted July 23, 2005 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 22 2005, 01:57 PM']It may be sad, but the Episcopalians don't have a valid Eucharist anyway. [right][snapback]654438[/snapback][/right] [/quote] exactly what i was thinking now - if they were juggling baptismal candles - and eating fire - and cutting themselves, and each other - all while breaking and distributing the Consecrated Blessed Sacrament ...ok, then i would use the term "horrifying" …and very strongly, and repeatedly In the view of an evangelical Christian however, I could see this as a huge catastrophe from their perspective. Although Clowning as a ministry seems to be “big” among the Bible belt-type Christians and in many areas of the U.S. - I am sure many evangelicals are taking offence at this as an abomination of sorts. A carnival in a house of Christian worship. Nice.
JimFurst Posted July 23, 2005 Posted July 23, 2005 I think using these pictures to represent the Anglecan church is small minded and something we'd expect to see from all the " Catholic Bashers" we complain so bitterly about. I've seen these exact pictures used against Catholics. (by trads) Who knows where they come from or why? They get us no where --- other than making us feel superior. Well--- How do we feel? They have stuff on us too. So lets face it, these do nothing for us. I don't feel like a better Christian and thats what we are. RIght???? JIm
curtins Posted July 23, 2005 Posted July 23, 2005 I found it hillarious. Remeber all that is is plain bread- its not the Body of Christ. Now had that been Catholics- I'd be seriously ticked. but u guys are right its not respectful to God and it does mock the Eucharist- but i do think the clown suits are funny
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted July 23, 2005 Posted July 23, 2005 It's worse if you watch the video. I don't let it bother me, I'm pretty sure most people - even Anglicans - would agree that this is ridiculous. BTW: The pastor got this idea from some guy who runs a "Clown Ministry."
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 31, 2005 Author Posted July 31, 2005 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 22 2005, 09:34 AM']What is most unfortunate is it is not their idea. Catholics were the first in the 70's to have "clown masses". [right][snapback]654149[/snapback][/right] [/quote] If you can call those people Catholics. Some of the wild Liturgists I've read about back then were a bit outside the bounds of orthodoxy, if you know what I mean. Plus, you should shoot those people an email because they are claiming they are the first to do the clown thing. grrrr.....
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 31, 2005 Author Posted July 31, 2005 [quote name='thedude' date='Jul 22 2005, 10:48 PM']It's worse if you watch the video. I don't let it bother me, I'm pretty sure most people - even Anglicans - would agree that this is ridiculous. BTW: The pastor got this idea from some guy who runs a "Clown Ministry." [right][snapback]655288[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I read that they actually have a "parish clown" who hangs around. Also, a friend of mine was at that cathedral lately, and while it looks beautiful from what I've seen, he said that some of the statues and things are really bizzare. For example, he mentioned seeing a representation of a man copulating a deer. I don't see how that fits in with Christianity.
phatcatholic Posted July 31, 2005 Posted July 31, 2005 (edited) [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 31 2005, 03:27 AM']For example, he mentioned seeing a representation of a man copulating a deer. I don't see how that fits in with Christianity.[right][snapback]666007[/snapback][/right][/quote] [b]Num 22:30 [/b]But the donkey said, "Am I not the donkey you've ridden all your life until today? Have I ever treated you this way before?" hehe : Edited July 31, 2005 by phatcatholic
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 31, 2005 Author Posted July 31, 2005 sometimes I can't handle phatmass... Ta me tinn and it's all my fault.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now