An Old School Catholic Message Board

dUSt's In-depth Review of "The Da Vinci Code"

dUSt

Kilroy the Ninja

Don John says it was carp when the Rosecrucians made it up in the 16th century - at least Mr. Brown could have come up with original carp.

Okay, to elaborate just a tad...

Here's what was good about the book:
- suspenseful action sequences
- intriguing mystery
- fast paced
- overall entertaining

Here's what was bad:
- obviously, the falsities regarding Mary Magdelene and Jesus
- unbelievable action sequences (Langdon and Sophie somehow always escape the police, most of the time in totally unrealistic ways)
- no character building (I didn't really care about what happened to any of the characters--in fact, I was most sympathetic to Silas, who was suppose to be the bad guy in the book)
- obviously, the negative portrayal of Opus Dei and the Church, even though in the end we find out that neither Opus Dei or the Church end up being "the bad guy". (even though the author goes out of his way to portray them in a very negative light anyway)

Overall, the book was actually less critical of Opus Dei than everyone makes it out to be. The only thing that it really emphasised consistently is the Opus Dei practice of corporal mortification, portraying it in a very biased, one-side way--failing to explain the theology behind it.

Also, the book never explains why the "big secret" being suppressed is such a big secret in the first place. I mean, who really cares if it all went public? It seems like it was public knowledge already anyway.

My final rating. I give it two thumbs down and a fish slap.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :fishslap:

In the end, I think this book will actually help increase Opus Dei's membership.

sweetpea316

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jul 29 2005, 02:40 PM']My final rating. I give it  two thumbs down and a fish slap.

:thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :fishslap:
[right][snapback]664124[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That sounds about fair.

Maybe a wedgie too...just for kicks.

:wedgie:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jul 29 2005, 03:40 PM']My final rating. I give it  two thumbs down and a fish slap.

:thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :fishslap:
[right][snapback]664124[/snapback][/right]
[/quote] :lol_roll: :lol_roll: :lol_roll:

[quote name='curtins' date='Jul 29 2005, 02:43 PM']excuse my lack of latin but whats Opus Dei?
[right][snapback]664130[/snapback][/right][/quote]
This does nothing for your "Church Faithful" cause.

BURN HIM!!!

homeschoolmom

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jul 29 2005, 02:45 PM']This does nothing for your "Church Faithful" cause.

BURN HIM!!!
[right][snapback]664137[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol:

My mom's reading another Dan Brown book. I think it's Angels and Demons. I wish she'd stop reading that carp. She already read The DaVinci Code as though it were a history text.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jul 29 2005, 03:45 PM']This does nothing for your "Church Faithful" cause.

BURN HIM!!!
[right][snapback]664137[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol:

It means "Work of God," Curtins.

*grabs m4 w/ 40 mm m203 launcher* COME AND GET ME YOU LATIN SPEAKING LOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!