An Old School Catholic Message Board

dUSt's In-depth Review of "The Da Vinci Code"

dUSt

dUst: If you approach it from a fiction side not as a religious controversy what do you think?
I should add...I haven't read it. I was considering reading it. I do not have as big an interest in reading unless it is my physiology textbook :): but if I do pick up a book I should make it worth my time I guess....

I do need to read P&P because the new movie is coming out and I told Jacob that I would read it.

Meg

From a purely fictional perspective it was enjoyable, but not all that great. I've read much better fiction. The characters weren't developed at all, so you find yourself not really caring what happens to them, and most of the action was not believable.

If any of the main characters would have died I would have been like "oh well". I think good fiction would at least ignite some type of emotion if that happened.

I also think it's impossible to seperate the fiction from the religious falsities. You just can't do it, as it's part of the mystery and intertwined throughout the whole book. You can seperate them in an intellectual sense but not in a sense where you judge the book purely on it's literary qualities. It would be similar to going to worship at a pagan ceremony and come back and judge it on how good the refreshments were. haha

i agree with dUst.

for example, [[color=red]edited: holy poo, i'm so sorry, i didn't mean to give away an ending!! :ohno: [/color][/COLOR] when someone very beloved in a popular childrens book died, i cried, put the book down, walked out of the room and stood in front of my husband speechless.

if that doesn't happen, its not a good enough book :P:

Edited by kateri05

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='kateri05' date='Jul 29 2005, 08:51 PM']i agree with dUst.

for example, when aformentioned character died i cried, put the book down, walked out of the room and stood in front of my husband speechless.

if that doesn't happen, its not a good enough book :P:
[right][snapback]664686[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
wait, did someone ruin the ending to a book that I haven't read?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='kateri05' date='Jul 29 2005, 09:36 PM']ok i edited my post, quick mod, edit her quote of me!

i am SO sorry!
[right][snapback]664740[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's okay... I fixed it... and I wasn't probably going to read it anyways...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' date='Jul 29 2005, 09:53 PM']oh okay yeah its fixed...awesome lol
[right][snapback]664770[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
lol, yes crisis averted... :lol:

littleflower+JMJ

my sister is weird she always has to know the ending of any book or movie she watches before she watches it

futurenun i advise you to go get your money back right now! (just kidding!! and just messing with kateri!! hahaha)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I wasn't planning on reading it... I have far too many other books I want to read before I read any of that...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='kateri05' date='Jul 29 2005, 09:54 PM']i hope so :(  i just don't want futurenun to hate me :sadder:  although i wouldnt' blame her :idontknow:
[right][snapback]664772[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No, I won't hate you, ever...

Maybe we should meet up somewhere along our WYD tracks...