An Old School Catholic Message Board

Length & Time of Conversion

White Knight

White Knight

I honestly dont know what the Lord is going to do with me, right now, but as I know now in present. I'm in a pathway of a straight street and a left or right turn. type of path right now. sorry for the poor discribition. I have no idea how to make it any clearer. :(

I'm honestly considering the Catholic Faith, for very personal reasons right now.. but I rather study more before deciding anything.

Besides from what Ive heard, joining the Catholic Faith is a Journey, not an over night thing. It takes Time, and I have the fortunate wisdom and knowalege to know this, by God of course.

I come from a family of Methodists, Baptists, Atheists, New Agers, Angnostics, and Others, I'm 20 years of age, fixing to reach 21 next month. I officially came to my own faith in Christ around the ages of 17-18 years. it was a very progressive process and very moving. The void was filled, but the full Knowolege and Wisdom is still missing to me.

There is also a desire of mine to have Abosolute Truth which very much is a very attractive thing to me.

From what Ive noticed, about Protestantism is it Does have the Truth, only problem is it only has Peices of it. and not the whole thing, they often reject doctrines and teachings of the full faith. and I'm beginning to see that, I want more and more of the fullness of Truth. Though I have been reading, listening, and watching Catholic material. From the peices I have embraced, it seems so clear and so full of life, Love, Grace, and Mercy. and I haven't even begun to experience anything really big with the Catholic Faith this dawned on me with the fact that the Catholic Teachings, rather display and have this Full Truth.

I'm reading the catechism and its very much a learning process for me. The Communion with Saints. Mary Queen of Heaven, The Holy Father, The Sacarments, etc. All this I see no conflict or condriction of anything to the abosolutes of the Faith, matter of fact I've reached the conclusion that it is apart of the Faith. Matter of fact I agree with all Ive read so far, and it actually cleared up alot of issues that were blurred to me. With the Catechism and Sacred Scripture things God has used in my life and others, this has cleared so many issues, and topics up.

Through what Ive experienced, I am person who wants to know more of the fullness of Truth. and the Demoniations of the Protestant points of view have well fell short some how, I'm not bashing Protestants, or anything. but theres something I feel that is being neglected among them.

If I could describe where I am right now with anymore detail I would, but thats as best as I can put it into words.

I'm just going to humble myself before God, and ask for His Will and embrace it. I wanna know Him, More than I do Now. I want Him to lead me to a final conclusion. I believe He will, in His time.

I Accept the fact this will take Time.

Thank You for hearing me.

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 3 2005, 03:54 AM']I'm honestly considering the Catholic Faith, for very personal reasons right now.. but I rather study more before deciding anything.
[right][snapback]669614[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sounds to me like you are doing everything right.

You might want to consider joining an RCIA class. It doesn't commit you to anything other than studying Catholicism, but if you decided to convert you would be able to join the Church next Easter. From what I'm seeing in bulletins, RCIA classes are beginning to form around now.

The reason I suggest this is twofold. First, the formal study may bring up topics you haven't considered, or help answer questions you still haven't resolved. Second, once (okay [i]if[/i] :P:) you decide you want to join the Church, the normal way is via RCIA classes and the Easter Vigil, which happens only once a year. Trust me, going to mass and not being able to receive the Eucharist is very frustrating once you are committed to becoming Catholic!

I delayed my inquiries a few months too long and made myself miserable for a whole extra year. Be smarter than me! ;)

sweetpea316

[quote name='philothea' date='Aug 3 2005, 07:18 AM']Trust me, going to mass and not being able to receive the Eucharist is very frustrating once you are committed to becoming Catholic!
[right][snapback]669653[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Tis true... I am so anxious... but I have no idea how much longer it will be for me either. Don't rush into things if you're not sure yet. For me, I know that I have A LOT more to learn before I take the next step. And also personally, I want to know and be sure of everything it entails, mostly because I know I'll get questioned to death by my family and I want to be able to back it up and defend it. Anyways, just take your time on this journey to the Truth...God hasn't set any time limit on ya. ^_^

God bless and Mary protect.

*Rebecca*

[quote name='sweetpea316' date='Aug 3 2005, 08:30 AM']Don't rush into things if you're not sure yet. For me, I know that I have A LOT more to learn before I take the next step. And also personally, I want to know and be sure of everything it entails, mostly because I know I'll get questioned to death by my family and I want to be able to back it up and defend it. Anyways, just take your time on this journey to the Truth...God hasn't set any time limit on ya.  ^_^
[right][snapback]669697[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I feel awkward saying this, and I seriously don't mean to sound negative or critical, but actually God [i]has[/i] set a time limit on everyone. While we hope it won't be anytime soon, there is no guarantee. Prudence is good, but being needlessly pokey approaches presumption, I fear.

I am not saying either of you are being too slow, I just wanted to clarify that one point.

sweetpea316

[quote name='philothea' date='Aug 3 2005, 08:47 AM']I feel awkward saying this, and I seriously don't mean to sound negative or critical, but actually God [i]has[/i] set a time limit on everyone.  While we hope it won't be anytime soon, there is no guarantee.  Prudence is good, but being needlessly pokey approaches presumption, I fear.

I am not saying either of you are being too slow, I just wanted to clarify that one point.
[right][snapback]669702[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No offense taken. ^_^
I totally understand your point, and I agree. We don't know how much time we have, and shouldn't put it off forever...I just know that I'm still a newbie at this and definitely need more time before entering the Church.
Thanks for clarifying that though! ^_^

God bless.

Guest Eremite

[quote]Which of you wishing to construct a tower does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if there is enough for its completion?

Otherwise, after laying the foundation and finding himself unable to finish the work the onlookers should laugh at him

and say, 'This one began to build but did not have the resources to finish.'

Or what king marching into battle would not first sit down and decide whether with ten thousand troops he can successfully oppose another king advancing upon him with twenty thousand troops?

But if not, while he is still far away, he will send a delegation to ask for peace terms.

In the same way, everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple.

--Luke 14[/quote]

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 3 2005, 04:20 PM']So you can only join the Catholic Church around Easter time?
[right][snapback]670513[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The normal way to join the church nowadays is through the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) program, and the various sacraments are celebrated at the Easter Vigil. This is actually the ancient way, recently returned to.

If it is not possible for someone to be part of RCIA, they can, I believe, get personal instruction and receive sacraments when you are ready. I do not know how common this is anymore, or if it would be difficult to have done.

White Knight, as a convert, I know exactly what you mean. You are in limbo. No longer a protestant, not yet a catholic. It is a pretty uncomfortable position because you no longer have a religious "comfort zone" or home. I was raised Methodist but had many questions which all were answered with the Catholic faith. But in the discernment period, I just felt displaced and I just didn't like it. Keep praying and God will finally pull you home. I don't know if you have ever been to adoration but to me it was a beacon of comfort and love, and still is.

If you wish to join the church other than going through RCIA, you have to find a priest who is willing to work with you one on one. I have a cousin that just entered the church that way. I joined at the Easter Vigil and it was a wonderful experience. It is by far the most moving and beautiful Mass of the whole year and its an honor to be a part of it.

White Knight

[b]marielapin:[/b] How long were you contemplating and thinking of joining the Catholic Faith before you finally did?

• 2 weeks later...
White Knight

I just recently told my unsaved parents that I'm interested in becoming Catholic. This has its good effects and bad. I couldn't lie to them nor Jesus for that matter, Because announcing that would be wrong. so I confessed and said I am interested in becoming Catholic. :D:

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 15 2005, 05:03 AM']I just recently told my unsaved parents that I'm interested in becoming Catholic. This has its good effects and bad. I couldn't lie to them nor Jesus for that matter, Because announcing that would be wrong. so I confessed and said I am interested in becoming Catholic. :D:
[right][snapback]685403[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Wow, that is awesome! And yea...what did they say?

Sometimes I think that it would be easier telling parents who aren't religious rather than those who are very strong Protestants...

I'm not looking forward to it at all. But I'm very glad to hear that your talk had rather positive results! ^_^

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 15 2005, 06:03 AM']I just recently told my unsaved parents that I'm interested in becoming Catholic. This has its good effects and bad. I couldn't lie to them nor Jesus for that matter, Because announcing that would be wrong. so I confessed and said I am interested in becoming Catholic. :D:
[right][snapback]685403[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Congrats on taking the 1st step in the right direction! I am a recent convert- I was accepted into the church in the Easter Vigil Mass of this yr., glory be to God. A website that really helped me during the discernment period is Dave Armstong's site:

[url="http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZHOME.HTM"]http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZHOME.HTM[/url]

He's a convert from a Calvinist background and he really explains the biblical basis for Catholic doctrines. As others have suggested, I think trying to get into an RCIA class is a very good idea. So combined with personal study and guidance from the RCIA teacher, you will be well equipped to make your decision. Also, and I'm sure you already know this, prayer is absolutely essential. God bless you! :)