An Old School Catholic Message Board

Length & Time of Conversion

White Knight

White Knight

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 15 2005, 06:39 AM']and what did they say...?
[right][snapback]685416[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well with my dad's deep anti-catholic roots, he was a lutheran when he was younger. He said that he was worried about me especially if you want to become a Catholic. Funny because hes very misguided about the Catholic Faith, and did not believe me when I told him what Martin Luthur did wrong.

My dad's quote.[b] "Now I'm worried about you, especially if you want to become a Catholic." - My dad.[/b]

Edited by White Knight

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 18 2005, 02:45 AM']Well with my dad's deep anti-catholic roots, he was a lutheran when he was younger. He said that he was worried about me especially if you want to become a Catholic. Funny because hes very misguided about the Catholic Faith, and did not believe me when I told him what Martin Luthur did wrong.
My dad's quote.[b] "Now I'm worried about you, especially if you want to become a Catholic." - My dad.[/b]
[right][snapback]688739[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:ohno:

There are some people here who converted, and later their families did too. Maybe if he sees you as a happy, normal, knowledgable Catholic he will be a little more open-minded.

I guess this is going to be hard. Prayers for you and your family.

White Knight

Thanks, my mom wasn't Lutheran though she was methodist or baptist, from as of now my parents have completely walked away from the Faith.

White Knight

In the mean time, Is there a name for the type of group I'm in? I'm not a Protestant anymore, yet I'm not a Catholic, but I agree alot of with the Catholic Church and hope to become a Convert one day. In the mean time I dunno if theres a name to the postition I'm in now or what.

I'm not a Protestant, because Protestant "Protest" against the Catholic Faith, and I support the Catholic Faith now so I dont Protest anymore, yet I'm not officially a Catholic. lol I'm in a pickle here.

that works for me . . . and has a long history to support its use

student or candidate might work

although a formalist might think baptism is the first sacrament for the catechumen . . . that the term originated when there were only Christians and pagans
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catechumen"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catechumen[/url]

candidate for reception into full communion is a little awkward
Candidate?

PC game? . . .
Your mentor and brethren have been captured by the demon possessed Roman soldiers. It is your job to work your way through the catacombs of Rome to free them. Satan has a powerful hand in the Roman Empire and has powerful foes to block your every effort. From the prison, in which your mentor is kept, he sends a plea for help to you. According to Acts 26:18kj. Our Catechumen is sent to open their eyes (the Roman Soldiers), and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins. Prepare to save your mentor and battle the forces of evil in this epic journey, Catechumen.
from N.Lightning Software
[url="http://www.catechumen.com/"]http://www.catechumen.com/[/url]

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 7 2005, 12:27 AM'][b]marielapin:[/b] How long were you contemplating and thinking of joining the Catholic Faith before you finally did?
[right][snapback]675719[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, I was interested in the Catholic faith when I was really young. But it was out of the question for my interest to be anything more than just curiosity.

Once I left for college (age 18) I started attending Mass. I joined at the Easter Vigil 2001, when I was 21.

I had to fight my family in order to become Catholic. They said some very harsh things and really could care less about what I was trying to share with them. But some pathways have been made, and they have softened a bit. My mother and sister both have the image of Divine Mercy hanging in their bedrooms.

The limbo period between protestant and Catholic is a tough one. You really don't "fit" into any group and it is very uncomfortable. Once you start attending RCIA you will either be a catechuman or a candidate (depending on whether or not you have had proper Christian baptism) and then later you will be one of the elect, before you finally become a full Catholic.

It probably depends on the parents, b/c some of no religion could really be anti-Catholic, b/c they could look at the history of the Church and say, they're violent, anti-science, hate all other religions, and that our beliefs about abortion and contraceptives and an allmale priesthood, etc, is outdated. but it was easy for me since my parents were not religious and said, oh u can be whatever religion u want, and my mom ended up converting:) She also had my brother baptized and both my siblings put in CCD. However it is hard,b/c my dad and i debate alot and he doesn't understand why i believe some of the things i believe

White Knight

[quote name='marielapin' date='Aug 23 2005, 02:02 PM']Well, I was interested in the Catholic faith when I was really young.  But it was out of the question for my interest to be anything more than just curiosity.

Once I left for college (age 18) I started attending Mass.  I joined at the Easter Vigil 2001, when I was 21.

I had to fight my family in order to become Catholic.  They said some very harsh things and really could care less about what I was trying to share with them.  But some pathways have been made, and they have softened a bit.  My mother and sister both have the image of Divine Mercy hanging in their bedrooms. 

The limbo period between protestant and Catholic is a tough one.  You really don't "fit" into any group and it is very uncomfortable.  Once you start attending RCIA you will either be a catechuman or a candidate (depending on whether or not you have had proper Christian baptism)  and then later you will be one of the elect, before you finally become a full Catholic.
[right][snapback]695828[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sounds like it was a rough path at times, I think I will under go some family myself when I start progressing. I understand the feeling, now that I'm at a stage in my life where I dont agree with Protestants or I dont declare myself a Protestant, yet I cannot call myself a Catholic. its a rough ground, because I dunno what to address myself as. My best guess right now is a [b]Believer in God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.[/b]

[b]How long did you attend the RCIA?[/b]

In my case, it was about 7 months - meeting once a week - coming out of the Episcopal Church, I was already baptized - and thus was, I think, a candidate.
(having attended Mass for 15 + years, watched kids grow up, helped a little bit with their Religious Ed (very little - I was the family pagan) having read their books when they weren't looking), i had perhaps acquired more background knowledge than I give myself credit for.

classes are starting up now at our parish - if completed within a single cycle Easter would be the target date for baptism, confirmation and first communion.

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 29 2005, 05:33 PM'][b]How long did you attend the RCIA?[/b]
[right][snapback]704188[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I started RCIA in August of 2000, joined the Church Easter, 2001. By the time I started RCIA, I had done a lot of studying and had learned and accepted all the major teachings of the Church.