An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is anyone else scared

prose

I'm no economics guru, but I think it's troubled times ahead for sure.

While the increase in gas prices is a headache or worse to be sure, I think the silver lining will be that it finally pushes the issue of our dependency on gasoline and petroleum for transportation to the front of the table. There's just no excuse for it, just as there was no excuse for a V8 in so many cars of the 70's, just as there's no excuse for cars running on gasoline today. I hope this forces a real transition.

I'm actually most worried about the amount of debt people carry. That is staggering. These increased gas prices are only going to make it worse.

On a brighter note, the reconstruction efforts for Katrina are expected to bring about an economic boom by all accounts I've heard.

Ash Wednesday

I recently wrote in my journal wondering if this whole world was going to hell in a handbasket or if every generation says that.

I'm glad that I won't be driving a car this year, though it was a tin can from Japan that didn't need much gas anyway.

Prose, I know what it feels like to worry -- I worry, worry, worry so much. I love Thessalonian's quote from Luke. One of the best in the bible.

I guess the key is to budget, budget, budget. Simplify our lives. And yes, alternative fuel for sure as a goal. I'm tired of our country being involved in the middle east and oil having a hold on us like it does.

I will probably have a tight belt for the rest of my life... loans from school. :(

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Sep 1 2005, 02:48 PM'][snip]

I guess the key is to budget, budget, budget. Simplify our lives. And yes, alternative fuel for sure as a goal. I'm tired of our country being involved in the middle east and oil having a hold on us like it does.

I will probably have a tight belt for the rest of my life... loans from school. :(
[right][snapback]707607[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You are very wise for someone of your age Ash. To simplify our lives, to adjust to less, to cut off the excess we have made for ourselves that serve to distract us from God, this is the ultimate solution to the problems we have.

If we are in such a big mess today, its because we have subjected ourselves to a society of consumerism (I remember then Cardinal Ratzinger saying a thing or two about that around Pope JPII's funeral!). We are not dependant on oil - we [i]think[/i] we are. Our lifestyles are dependant on oil... not us! This we need to realize and quick!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
:) Smiles all around Ash! :)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by Didacus

I am dependent on gas. I need to get to work and home, and so does my husband.

We chose a home outside of the city we work in order to try to save money... We have no choice. There are no inter-city buses, I can't carpool b/c I don't know anyone who works in the city (except my hubby, but he needs his vehicle as he works all over, not only in the city.

Sure, I can reduce consumption by walking during the day, but gas is essential to us. We can't afford to buy a new hybrid, let alone 2 new hybrids.

I am not sure how we are going to afford these increases....

Be careful of gouging! I saw at one station today $3.45 and then $3.19 at the next, that's a major diffrence. BP seems to be having pretty good pricing right now compared to everywhere else.

Hmm, thats the bad part of our modern economy. Everything is tied to oil and petroleum. Once you attack that source, everything else takes a beating. Truck owner/operators will go out of business, not being able to afford the gas. Airlines will be forced to make fewer flights. At this point, we haven't exactly found a way to make trucks and planes that run from ethanol or other renewable resources.

Another thing to ponder. Though hybrids are initially more expensive than regular cars, imagine how much gas one has to buy to make up for that price. Also, whats to keep gas stations from raising the prices of alternative fuels, even if there is no oil/petroleum component?

Man, I'm a pessimist. :sadder:

[quote name='Tony' date='Sep 1 2005, 01:14 PM']1 word... Hybrid
[right][snapback]707474[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

there was an article in the consumer reports i got yesterday showing that not all hybrids are all they are cracked up to be. tests show a lot of them don't get the mileage that the epa claims they do. it is still a little better than gas, but it is not anything major

I'm scared that Al-Qaeda will try to exploit this situation and will launch an attack. With the 4th anniversary of 9/11 coming up its a strong possibility.

[quote name='Tony' date='Sep 1 2005, 12:14 PM']1 word... Hybrid
[right][snapback]707474[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

1 word . . . moped

[img]http://www.alibaba.com/photo/50130191/MOPED_.jpg[/img]