An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is anyone else scared

prose

Surprisingly I'm not really worried, it will take some time to get things back to normal. Of course right now things are crazy because well it's only been what 4 or 5 days since this all took place. The best thing to do is to stay calm and don't panic. If you panic and run out and fill up a number of gas tanks etc yeah there's goin to be a shortage. Louisiana govt has already said trucks are being sent out with their deliveries of gas. The best thing to do is stay calm. Don't drive if you don't have to, carpool if you can. etc. Cut down on the little trips to town that really aren't needed. Right now just watch your driving and stuff, pray like you've never prayed before. Trust in the Will of God.

[quote name='White Knight' date='Sep 1 2005, 04:49 PM']People have been worried about the Economy since the 80's, and we still manage to get by some how.
[right][snapback]707746[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Since the '80s? I guess that's just as far back as you can remeber -LOL.
Since the '80s, people have been doing pretty well in historical terms. Things were worse in the '70s.
And try complaining about the economy and how tough things are to someone who's lived through the Great Depression!!

[quote name='Old_Joe' date='Sep 1 2005, 06:31 PM']Three words people:

"Be Not Afraid!"
[right][snapback]707919[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

AMEN!

I spent the last year in Honduras, and if there was one thing it taught me, there are 1 million things it taught me.

but they get by with very little, and I agree with the statement that our lifestyles are dependant on oil, not our lives.

i wish we could create a society (like in Honduras and most 2nd, 3rd world countries) that was more condusive to public transportation and walking. I am in the process of buying a house in town so I can walk everywhere (especially to church . . . the place I NEED to go).

Anyway, I don't think it is going to be another depression, and as Jewel says, not to worry because worry is wasteful and useless in times like these. . . not sure where that came from.

thanks for the Luke quote, well said.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Didacus' date='Sep 1 2005, 03:02 PM']You are very wise for someone of your age Ash.  To simplify our lives, to adjust to less, to cut off the excess we have made for ourselves that serve to distract us from God, this is the ultimate solution to the problems we have.

If we are in such a big mess today, its because we have subjected ourselves to a society of consumerism (I remember then Cardinal Ratzinger saying a thing or two about that around Pope JPII's funeral!).  We are not dependant on oil - we [i]think[/i] we are.  Our lifestyles are dependant on oil... not us!  This we need to realize and quick!
      :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
:) Smiles all around Ash! :)
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
[right][snapback]707619[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more... and that smiles around is one of the cutest things I've ever seen on phatmass! ^_^

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Sep 1 2005, 07:13 PM']Where's phazzan to chime in, freak out and say "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!" when we need him? :teehee:
[right][snapback]707983[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Allow me....

OH MY GOD! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! WE DON'T HAVE A PRAYER!

How was that?

Edited by Old_Joe

homeschoolmom

[quote name='White Knight' date='Sep 1 2005, 04:49 PM']People have been worried about the Economy since the 80's, and we still manage to get by some how.
[right][snapback]707746[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No they haven't. There have been some very good economic times since then.

Luke 12

[25] And which of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his span of life?
[26] If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?
[27] Consider the lilies, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
[28] But if God so clothes the grass which is alive in the field today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O men of little faith!
[29] And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be of anxious mind.
[30] For all the nations of the world seek these things; and your Father knows that you need them.
[31] Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things shall be yours as well.
[32] "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

1 Pet 5
[6] Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time he may exalt you.
[b][7] Cast all your anxieties on him, for he cares about you. [/b]
[8] Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour.
[9] Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your brotherhood throughout the world.
[10] And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, and strengthen you.
[11] To him be the dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Sep 1 2005, 07:13 PM']Where's phazzan to chime in, freak out and say "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!" when we need him? :teehee:
[right][snapback]707983[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'll bet he comes back every couple of weeks or so and types "Phazzan" into the search bar to see where people are talking about him. Maybe he'll stop by. :hehe: