An Old School Catholic Message Board

NFP for Newlyweds

argent_paladin

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Sep 8 2005, 04:48 PM']PS assming you wait that long.
[right][snapback]716039[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So THAT'S why guests usually have to wait so long in between the wedding and the reception.

homeschoolmom

and as for the idea that the couple needs couple time... Well... gestation (in my experiece) is nine months. You got nine months of couple time. That's more than I've had in the last ten years...

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 8 2005, 05:55 PM']So THAT'S why guests usually have to wait so long in between the wedding and the reception.
[right][snapback]716058[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I thought it was pictures.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 8 2005, 04:49 PM']It would depend on what "newly wed" means. Usually I have heard it refer to the first full year of marriage.
[right][snapback]716042[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

well He said the honeymoon which is even in archic terms only the first month of marriage ( by the way I still want my month of mead provided by my father in law!)

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Sep 8 2005, 04:54 PM']It's interesting how we all agree so quickly, yet many faithful Catholics (or else they'd be using contraception) do exactly what we say is immoral. And I have never heard this mentioned, in all of my moral theology classes. Why not?  Is it because it is too hard, that enough people are ignoring the contraception rules and this is one battle that is not worth fighting? I really don't know.
[right][snapback]716055[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I've said it a couple of times to friends. It hasn't been received well.

It all goes back to the "why questions along these lines make people's blood boil" -- it's about sex.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 8 2005, 04:56 PM']I thought it was pictures.
[right][snapback]716062[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, that's what they always tell you, but now I'm not so sure ...

argent_paladin

I'm not familiar with the details of ovarian cancer. Why would NFP be necessary? I would think that radiation treatments or surgery to remove an ovary would cause infertility in any case. Or would one want to avoid conception to avoid subjecting the fetus to chemicals/radiation? And if the woman has a terminal disease and in treatment, is it really wise to engage in sexual intercourse? I heard that chemo usually dampens desire and weakens one considerably. It would be strange to practice NFP then (not to mention that I would think that the cycle would be erratic and the temperature would vary not based on cycle but other things). Here is a case where I would think the best course would be abstinence.
But I do think that that is a possibility.

it is immoral for a newlywed couple to use NFP. I mean that's just not even giving it a chance.* edit of course, legitimate medical issues trump whatever I said. I agree, argent, that if two people aren't ready for kids they need to cool it with the marriage deal and go pray or something. and I don't mean emotionally ready, I mean that and economically ready. irresponsible otherwise.

I'm not getting married until I've got a job, a place, a diploma, and a car, in that order. Then, I'll think it over. fuhgeddaboudit. :detective:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 8 2005, 04:56 PM']and as for the idea that the couple needs couple time... Well... gestation (in my experiece) is nine months. You got nine months of couple time. That's more than I've had in the last ten years...
[right][snapback]716060[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree. I think the longer you wait, the more comfortable you get as a couple, and the harder it becomes to introduce a third party to the equation. That's at least my conclusion after having observed several friends in this situation.

argent_paladin

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 8 2005, 04:54 PM']Although I would be careful and let the Church make decisions on what qualifies a grave enough reason to use NFP, lest we condemn those we have no right to judge.
[right][snapback]716056[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, that's the thing. There are extremely few things that are grave enough to neccessitate the use of NFP but not grave enough to cause a delay in marriage.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 8 2005, 04:59 PM']It was in our case. :mellow:

I feel dumb now. We actually used that time to have pictures taken :P:
[right][snapback]716072[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Silly you! That's why you take pictures beforehand.

Don John of Austria

I think anyone who thinks they need to " wait " to have kids should be forced to chase a 2 year old around for a few days and then be asked to really think about if they want to do that when they are 40--- I am looking forard to having a 10 year old to go chase down his siblings when I'm 40.

Well...has the church given us any practical list on acceptable reasons for the use of NFP? Pastorally, obviously, I'd be careful discussing this in a manner that comes to conclusions about two peoples use of NFP as we are not in a position to ultimately make a pastoral decision.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 8 2005, 05:00 PM']Silly you! That's why you take pictures beforehand.
[right][snapback]716075[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

YUP!