An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theology of the Body

srmarymichael

Dear Fellow Phatmassers,

I would like to begin this thread because it is a very important topic to me. As I study and hear about the Theology of the Body, I realize that most people think about what it means for married people, or for those dating, etc.

As a Sister, I'd like to study the topic and learn more about what this means for Sisters, priests, brothers, single people, etc.

I am an amateur myself on this topic. I have listened to the tapes by Christopher West (2 or 3 times!). I have read his book about marriage and so forth. I need to read and study more. So, as this thread begins, I will try to share with you what I learn. I welcome others to give their input to help enlighten us all!

For me, so far anyway, it has made a big difference in my prayer life. To realize that we truly are Brides of Christ and what that means for me as a Sister -- Wow! I tell people that I truly am married. So, let the discussion begin! :saint:

daugher-of-Mary

One of the blogger-priests at ragemonkey.blogspot.com gave a whole retreat about TOB and religious life to the consecrated women of his diocese. Perhaps you could talk him into writing a few articles for phatmass?

Fides_et_Ratio

TOTB underscores the higher calling that a vow of celibacy entails... namely, giving up sexual relations with another for the sake of the Kingdom of God. It is a high calling.

Some of you may be wondering what the "Theology of the Body" is all about. I'll try to begin to explain it.

Pope John Paul II spent about 5 years of his Wednesday morning talks on this topic. He tried to explain to us about God's plan for human sexuality. Why God made us the way He did -- male and female -- what that means in our deepest selves, and what that means for different vocations. It answers a lot of questions! I found it to be a huge revelation and I think most people do! It's really an awesome theology to study..... [url="http://www.nakedwithoutshame.com"] The Gift Foundation[/url] is one source if you want to find out more. There are lots of books and tapes that try to help us understand it better.

Until I find a quote from the Theology of the Body text itself, I'll use other resources that reveal the same type of message:

[u][b]Jesus is My Completion:[/b][/u]
"My vow of chastity, then, bears witness to the fact that the Redeemer who offers Himself to me as Spouse, is risen and alive. He is the fullness of my life, and just as marriage completes two people, so is Jesus Christ my completion."
(from an article called "An Undivided Heart: Consecrated Chastity" in [i]Religious Life Magazine[/i] (Nov./Dec. 2001), by Sr. Ann Schumacher)

[u][b]Christ as Spouse:[/b][/u]
"The Evangelical counsel of chastity is . . . a charismatic choice of Christ as one's exclusive Spouse."
(Pope John Paul II in [i]Redemptionis Donum[/i], 11)

[u][b]Spiritual Fruitfulness:[/b][/u]
"In a word, the counsel of chastity is a gift of grace that liberates the human heart in a special manner so that it may be free to know and love God and thus become a source of spiritual fruitfulness for others." (Schumacher article, p. 20)

Fides_et_Ratio

If you have John Paul II's [u]Theology of the Body[/u], pg. 262 and foreward is where he begins his treatment of "Virginity for the Sake of the Kingdom"

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Sep 21 2005, 11:00 PM']If you have John Paul II's [u]Theology of the Body[/u], pg. 262 and foreward is where he begins his treatment of  "Virginity for the Sake of the Kingdom"
[right][snapback]733420[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I do have the book, and I'm reading it!

What I realized though, is that we cannot start there (in the discussion). In order to understand chastity for the sake of the Kingdom, we first have to somewhat understand the rest of the book.

For example, to understand that God created us [i][b]in His own image, male and female[/b][/i], and that we are not supposed to be alone! God is not alone! God is Trinity. God is Love! God is Family! (there's many different ways for us to "not be alone" -- for some people, this is their parish family....)

Then transfer this reality to the Consecrated Life.

Another point: God made us sexual beings. Okay, so what does this have to do with being a Sister? That's exactly it! There's a mystery here that is so awesome! My love and intimacy must be channeled toward God! Married people can channel their love toward God too, but they do this together as one. With those in the Consecrated Life, God and the Consecrated one, are the "one"!

AlterDominicus

Theology, well said Sister.

Good point to, you see I always try to find things in relation, but with the added view of Spirituality, for example the formation process a Sister goes through

Postulant: Oh, I am getting in love with you (boyfriend)

Novice: AH! I do love you! (Betrothed)

Professed: Here comes the bride! (Married, consencrated!)

interesting topic here Sister. You mentioed that in the first post that Sisters are truly brides of christ, i in my whole life never doubted that fact but when iw as little, crazy as it may sound, I thought preists were married to christ as well!!!!! But they arent!!!!!

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Sep 22 2005, 12:23 PM']interesting topic here Sister. You mentioed that in the first post that Sisters are truly brides of christ, i in my whole life never doubted that fact but when iw as little, crazy as it may sound, I thought preists were married to christ as well!!!!!  But they arent!!!!!
[right][snapback]733837[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Priests are "married to Christ" in virtue of their membership in the Church as the Body (and Bride) of Christ.

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Sep 21 2005, 03:25 PM']One of the blogger-priests at ragemonkey.blogspot.com gave a whole retreat about TOB and religious life to the consecrated women of his diocese. Perhaps you could talk him into writing a few articles for phatmass?
[right][snapback]732889[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion! Would you ask him if he wants to get involved???

I really would like to encourage or challenge some of you Vocation Station people to study this with me!!! :topsy:

AlterDominicus

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Sep 22 2005, 05:57 PM']I really would like to encourage or challenge some of you Vocation Station people to study this with me!!!  :topsy:
[right][snapback]734497[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

AHHH!!!! Sister Mary Michael YOU KNOW I would LOVE TO study this with you! But inquiry asked: "How?" :idontknow: :lol:

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Sep 22 2005, 04:27 PM']Priests are "married to Christ" in virtue of their membership in the Church as the Body (and Bride) of Christ.
[right][snapback]734203[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is part of the mystery!!! I would have to ask a priest about this....

Have any of you ever read the "Song of Songs"? This is a love relationship with God!!! ;) He loves us SO much!

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Sep 22 2005, 07:10 PM']AHHH!!!! Sister Mary Michael YOU KNOW I would LOVE TO study this with you! But inquiry asked: "How?"  :idontknow:  :lol:
[right][snapback]734544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How? Begin praying and asking the Holy Spirit to help you understand this topic.

Secondly, look for books or tapes or people that can help you! I think there's a book about the Theology of the Body for Teens for the younger crowd. For the older crowd, there's lots of books and tapes about it.

Thirdly, think about what is posted here on this thread. See how God works in your life!

:saint: :wacko: :topsy: :) :cool:
(we need more smiley options)

AlterDominicus

When you think as someone being married woman/man man/woman and how it ties into a most replica of a Bride of Christ with its virtues, determination, actions, health physical; social; mental; spiritual, it is really interesting.

Lets go back to the past for a moment

What was the rule after marriage? To obey your husband, now with the added spiritual point of view:

The example set here is Christ as the husband who chose the spouse to be His bride and like all, the spouse had the CHOICE, the free will to choose to marry or not, but it was Christ' calling to you and you obeyed with an yes to the husband as you do know by seeking His will for the next step or next little thing, obeying Him everyday as a wife does to a husband in married life.

(I have no idea what I just said)
:getaclue: :wacko: :wall: