An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could God make a rock...

Brother Adam

Could God make a rock so big that He could not lift it?  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would saying "God is omnipitently good" be the right thing to say? I mean...he can't do things contrary to his nature, that being goodness...therefore, is He not omnipitent?

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Nov 9 2005, 05:13 PM']if He COULD make something that He COULDN't do, then He wouldn't be omnipotent.Thus, the only wway to affirm His omnipotence is to say He cannot do this.  It would be doing something contrary to His own nature.

Do you think that God's omnipotence means that He has the power to not be God?
[right][snapback]784184[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

OK, let me put it this way then.

It is within His power to do such a thing.

His nature is perfect, and thus he would not. By this nature, which is perfect, it is impossible that God would eventually do such a thing.

Thus in the first sense, it is possible, since He is all powerful. In the second, though the first circumstance exsits, it is pushed aside by the second (His perfect nature) which pushes the possibility infinately asidce - hence making it impossible.

I think my post has been ignored again possibly because it is a bit too complicated. So, I shall state it again, hopefully more simply.

God is not material; He has no demensions to constrain Him.
A rock is material; it has demensions to constrain it.

Something lacking demension, by it's nature, cannot have anything that is matter compared to it. That is, God has no material body, so his ability to do something does not truely have any limits. Therefore, a rock shall always be infinetly smaller than God, and therefore God cannot make a rock large enough that He cannot carry it, because matter and form are different and cannot be compared. Much like apples and oranges.

God bless,
Mikey

I agree with that as well. My answer is more trying to explain to those who would say this limits his omnipotence. quite the contrary, to say He can do this would be to say He is not omnipotent-- to say He cannot do this would be to say He is omnipotent.

though I like your answer, it leaves open one thing. could God make a spirit so large He couldn't move it? hehehe :P:

This "paradox" is fallacious - God not being able to move the rock would be a limitation of power.

It seems I read a thread some time back where some atheist was trying to actually use this as an argument against God! - LOL

Hey guys......

The reason that the answer is no, is because the first premise is a fallacy.

The question is nonsensical.

One of the things about our language is that we can say things that don't make sense. This doesn't call into question the omnipotence or omniscience of God, but rather the limitations of our knowledge of God.

It is on the same plane as saying, "Can God make a 4 sided triangle?" or "Can God make a square circle?"

The premise is flawed. The conclusion cannot follow, it is a logical impossiblity.

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Nov 9 2005, 05:06 PM']Well there you have it. Brother Adam has proved that there is no God.
*runs away*
[right][snapback]784173[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:rolling:

Naughty little atheist! :lol:

The fallacy? We are thinking of God in finite terms. God is not finite. He is infinite. Again, this speaks to our understanding or better yet, lack of understanding of God.

Wow. There are two new interesting answers to the question that I have never heard before, and more correct as well. Cool. :cool:

[quote name='Cam42' date='Nov 9 2005, 10:48 PM']The fallacy?  We are thinking of God in finite terms.  God is not finite.  He is infinite.  Again, this speaks to our understanding or better yet, lack of understanding of God.
[right][snapback]784419[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]Indeed, we can only know God through way of negation. Apophatic knowledge. What God is not, rather than what God is.