An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could God make a rock...

Brother Adam

Could God make a rock so big that He could not lift it?  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

StatingTheObvious

it's just a stupid question.
it's like asking can God kill himself completely dead and then perform a heart transplant and bring himself back to life. or, if God can make himself batman and spiderman at the same time, who would win if they fought each other.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Nov 11 2005, 12:56 PM']Nope.  Wrong answer.  See above, as to why.
[right][snapback]785773[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I like Cam's reasoning on this, the answer lies in there. Like he is said, it is wrong to say "He can but he won't". This premise assumes there is something bigger\better than God, something 'heavier' in this instance, or more perfect or more good, which denies God His virtues of being the definition of perfection.

Take the rock example (I've heard other versions of this "Could God Sin, Could God square the cirlce, 4 sided triangle, ect but they're all the same at heart). The idea of a rock bigger than God (in the spatial sense) denies God's very nature. It's not about could He or would He, it's is this rock even possible (is God Sinning possible, is a squared circle possible, is the 4 sided triangle possible?)

For the people saying 'He could but He wouldn't', could God also sin but doesn't? It's the same argument, I think it's just easier to see in this context. Sin by definition is something that goes against God's Will, but how could God go against His own, divine, all perfect, will? I think you can see through this that its not about him not 'wanting' to, but in all reality impossible for Him to do so. (If sin is against God's Will, then anything He wills by definition cannot be sin)

JMJ
11/14 - Thirty-third Monday

Even if this were an argument worthy of consideration, it's not even a challenge to His omnipotence. Stating that God cannot perform logical impossibilities is no challenge to His omnipotence. Likewise, it's no challenge to His omniscience to say that He does not know what it's like when I move my index finger. He may know what it's like when Pio Nono moves his index finger, but He doesn't know what it's like when [i]I[/i] move my finger - if He did, then my person would be tantamount to a divine person and then I'd be God. And I'd want no part of any club that would put me at the head. :P:

Actually the examples of sqaured circles cannot be done because they are non-things. They cannot exist in actuality for they are contradictory in terms. God can do all things possible, such things as 4 sided triangles do not limit God's omnipotence because they are non-things.