An Old School Catholic Message Board

leave parents and cleave to...

Aloysius

photosynthesis

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 9 2005, 10:08 PM']You don't need luck to get a college education -you need good grades and some serious time put into applying for scholarships, grants and financial aid. I have 3 kids in college right now. so I know it can be done.
[right][snapback]784377[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
still, there are a lot of people out there who could only dream of getting to go to college. While it is possible to defy your circumstances, I know there are neighborhoods right here in Baltimore where less than half of children graduate from high school. People lose hope.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 9 2005, 11:12 PM']still, there are a lot of people out there who could only dream of getting to go to college.  While it is possible to defy your circumstances, I know there are neighborhoods right here in Baltimore where less than half of children graduate from high school.  People lose hope.
[right][snapback]784382[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I live in one of those neighborhoods. You don't need a high school diploma, all you need is your GED and determination to be better than where you started out.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Nov 9 2005, 10:10 PM']Ash Wednesday, I understand the problems at how it's not feasible, but I do think in an ideal Christianized society there wouldn't be a real leaving-of-home thing until marriage (or entering seminary or monastery or convent)
[right][snapback]784380[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, Papa B. (or was it Peter Seewald or both) did mention something in one of his books -- the possibility of Christian style Kibbutzes. That would be fine with me. :D:

Ash Wednesday

I think most U.S. citizens can go to college if they really have the determination. My parents couldn't help me with college, which was why I stayed at home for the first years.

As cmom pointed out, all you need is the diploma.

And well, if need be some loans from Uncle Sam. :sweat: But that's life. He's helped me out but I have to pay him back. :rolleyes:

yeah that's true for the most part, but I think it really harms college to consider it something necessary for success in life. it's deteriorated academia into a slave to the job market, rather than a true place of HIGHER learning.

what's a kabutz? :huh:

photosynthesis

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 9 2005, 10:15 PM']I live in one of those neighborhoods. You don't need a high school diploma, all you need is your GED and determination to be better than where you started out.
[right][snapback]784387[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
These kids aren't just quitting school, getting their GED and going to college. the low academic success rates are because of drugs. Baltimore (especially East Baltimore) has a HUGE problem with drugs.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Nov 9 2005, 10:26 PM']I think most U.S. citizens can go to college if they really have the determination. My parents couldn't help me with college, which was why I stayed at home for the first years.

As cmom pointed out, all you need is the diploma.

And well, if need be some loans from Uncle Sam. :sweat:  But that's life. He's helped me out but I have to pay him back.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]784401[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Not everyone is lucky enough to have access to opportunities associated with being a U.S. Citizen.

cmotherofpirl

Every place has a problem with drugs. I have abandoned houses on one side of me and drug dealers on the other.
If you want to succeed in life you get up every day and work at it.
Success is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration. If you want something bad enough you go out and try to get it. It doesn't always happen, but you never get anywhere without effort. Excuses get you nowhere in life.

amen.

wow, I thought you were one of those pro-life democrats? :ninja:

lol sorry, couldn't resist... I mean the stereotypical democrat doesn't usually talk like that... but I kid, I kid...

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Nov 9 2005, 10:29 PM']yeah that's true for the most part, but I think it really harms college to consider it something necessary for success in life.  It's deteriorated academia into a slave to the job market, rather than a true place of HIGHER learning.

what's a kabutz? :huh:
[right][snapback]784404[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Indeed, I worked for a university for many years and many public schools view themselves as being a business. All the way down to the clever advertising campaigns driven by "marketing research" and engineered by the public relations crew that works for the university. You could have a diploma in your hand and not have learned much of anything. Just a piece of paper to get a job. That's how sad of a state many schools are. I think what and how much someone wants to learn at college is pretty much up to them. I suppose there are still some very excellent schools out there -- most likely private ones.

What one defines as "success" varies, of course. But monetarily speaking, one pretty much needs a college diploma if they want a job well enough to have the family and the house, etc. Especially if your wife wanted to stay at home, unless you are born of a rich family, win the lottery, or get into a trade where a college diploma isn't required, the main purpose of the diploma is the ticket to jobhood now. Of course I'm not saying it's right -- I think it's unfortunate that often both parents are pressured into the workforce while they are raising kids instead of one being able to stay at home and be a full-time parent.

Anyway a Kibbutz is an Israeli/Jewish commune where people live in clusters, have a farm or factory and pretty much go by the Jewish law. I suppose it's a bit like the Amish. Oy vey!

cmotherofpirl

Cmom's cheeky daughter reporting for duty. I have a handle on PM ("Ender") but I can't be bothered to sign in. Just a brief note:

Photosynthesis: Drugs don't equal academic failure any more than being poor does. Being poor, intimately acquainted with a considerable number of drug users, and a dropout, I can tell you: I dropped out because I didn't like school, and didn't intend to go to college. (I'm hopefully headed for the Marine Corps.) Not because I was tempted to sell or use drugs.

I'd say a solid half of my friends are dropouts, too. I know more people on drugs (alcohol, cocaine, marijuana) who have graduated than who have not. People who make foolish choices don't make them because they are poor or on drugs: they make 'em cause they're foolish.

A college education isn't granted by a lottery of good fortune: the only guarantor of success is determination. Sound like a Hallmark enough for you?

Cmom's cheeky daughter, over and out.

cmotherofpirl

Cmom's cheeky daughter reporting for duty. I have a handle on PM ("Ender") but I can't be bothered to sign in. Just a brief note:

Photosynthesis: Drugs don't equal academic failure any more than being poor does. Being poor, intimately acquainted with a considerable number of drug users, and a dropout, I can tell you: I dropped out because I didn't like school, and didn't intend to go to college. (I'm hopefully headed for the Marine Corps.) Not because I was tempted to sell or use drugs.

I'd say a solid half of my friends are dropouts, too. I know more people on drugs (alcohol, cocaine, marijuana) who have graduated than who have not. People who make foolish choices don't make them because they are poor or on drugs: they make 'em cause they're foolish.

A college education isn't granted by a lottery of good fortune: the only guarantor of success is determination. Sound like a Hallmark enough for you?

Cmom's cheeky daughter, over and out.

woah, I'd really like to see what quote you're referring to then, cause I have plans to start something along those lines actually, I'm workin it all out.

basically, theres about 100 acres for $400,000... we'd get about 100 families that would each pay $400 deposit and $100 a month for four years in order for each family to own 1/2 acre of land for a house, and all the rest of the land would go into building cozy roads made for walking (little parking lot for cars on the outside of the little village) and common places for the little community there. the idea's in developement stages right now, but it sounds like that quote would be pertinent to the idea.

but yeah, it really is sad that college is so necessary. and if how much you learn at college depends on how motivated you are, it would seem as if you could save a LOT of money and just learn by motivation on your own. sigh... it's all about the stupid diploma

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Nov 9 2005, 09:19 PM']hmm... if I hadn't picked this college an hour away from home... hmm...
[right][snapback]784346[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You're complaining about one hour? Al, my 'L' ride to high school and college was roughly [i]one hour each way every day[/i]!!!!!

Another suggestion is to get some courses in at a local community college, especially if they are transferable to the college/niversity you really want to attend.