An Old School Catholic Message Board

leave parents and cleave to...

Aloysius

Ash Wednesday

Yes, excellent point Norseman. In some cases students start out their first couple of years doing "basic and breadth" that could be learned at the community college level. I've heard they are much more reasonably priced.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 9 2005, 08:09 PM']For any new Phatmassers:

Aloysius is our resident backwoods survivalist. He goes about in a hair shirt eating locusts.

Don't be frightened.

:rolleyes:  :P:
[right][snapback]784312[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He also is controlled by me :mario:

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Nov 9 2005, 10:10 PM']Ash Wednesday, I understand the problems at how it's not feasible, but I do think in an ideal Christianized society there wouldn't be a real leaving-of-home thing until marriage (or entering seminary or monastery or convent)
[right][snapback]784380[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Al, I think everyone needs to get out of the house and live on his own for a while! It'll make a man of you!

I myself lived at home during college since my dad was a professor, and we lived across the street, but I don't think that was an ideal situation. (Nor did my parents, who decided my younger sister would live in the dorm). I wish I had moved out much sooner than I did. I did leave for OCS shortly after college, though.
Living on one's own builds independence, self-sufficiency, and responsiblity. One learns not to rely on mommy and daddy for everything.
While maybe not everyone need go to college, I think after around age 18 or 19 or so everyone should have some experience away from home.
This does not mean to cut all ties with family, however. But I still think it best if one at leasdt spends some time away to learn independence and self-reliance.

I'm not married, but I would not want to be still living with my parents. (This is nothing against my parents, but merely that a grown man should have some independence).

nah, I think it in an ideal society you live with your parents until you go off to get married, that's the reason to leave father and mother. that'll teach you independence too, there's no need to go off and then have no one living with you. going off to live with your wife is the idealest of situations, I think.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Nov 9 2005, 11:16 PM']You're complaining about one hour?  Al, my 'L' ride to high school and college was roughly [i]one hour each way every day[/i]!!!!!
[right][snapback]784441[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Uphill both ways, I bet.... :whistle:

photosynthesis

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 9 2005, 10:56 PM']Cmom's cheeky daughter reporting for duty. I have a handle on PM ("Ender") but I can't be bothered to sign in. Just a brief note:
Photosynthesis: Drugs don't equal academic failure any more than being poor does. Being poor, intimately acquainted with a considerable number of drug users, and a dropout, I can tell you: I dropped out because I didn't like school,  and didn't intend to go to college.  (I'm hopefully headed for the Marine Corps.) Not because I was tempted to sell or use drugs.

I'd say a solid half of my friends are dropouts, too. I know more people on drugs (alcohol, cocaine, marijuana) who have graduated than who have not. People who make foolish choices don't make them because they are poor or on drugs: they make 'em cause they're foolish.

A college education isn't granted by a lottery of good fortune: the only guarantor of success is determination. Sound like a Hallmark enough for you?

Cmom's cheeky daughter, over and out.
[right][snapback]784426[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
the kids I worked with in Baltimore weren't just "hanging out with the wrong crowd." Many of them became drug addicts not because their friends were doing drugs, but because their PARENTS were addicts. It was more like a generational thing.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Nov 10 2005, 12:15 AM']nah, I think it in an ideal society you live with your parents until you go off to get married, that's the reason to leave father and mother.  that'll teach you independence too, there's no need to go off and then have no one living with you.  going off to live with your wife is the idealest of situations, I think.
[right][snapback]784510[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
usually women tend to look down on adult men who still live with their parents.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Nov 9 2005, 08:04 PM']For this reason shall a man leave father and mother and cleave to his... college it seems. <_<  That has become the accepted concept, that we're supposed to leave our parents when it's time to go to college... to become individuals seperate from our parents and out in the world on our own.  But that's not the way the Bible has it.

The Bible has it that a man should leave his family home when he's ready to cleave to his wife.  Of course, college stresses relationships often and they cannot financially be fruitful and oftentimes it's a struggle uphill to succeed, so we're supposed to leave our parents to go be on our own and find ourselves... it just seems so contrary to the natural order to me.

I know that's the way it is, but is that the way it should be?  In case no one noticed, I like to be a crazy idealist and attempt to bring about the best even if it's not the way things are commonly suggested to be done.
[right][snapback]784310[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Dude.. it's so good to know you exist. I absolutely agree. :cool:

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 10 2005, 12:01 AM']Living on one's own builds independence, self-sufficiency, and responsiblity.  One learns not to rely on mommy and daddy for everything.
While maybe not everyone need go to college, I think after around age 18 or 19 or so everyone should have some experience away from home.
This does not mean to cut all ties with family, however.  But I still think it best if one at leasdt spends some time away to learn independence and self-reliance.

I'm not married, but I would not want to be still living with my parents.  (This is nothing against my parents, but merely that a grown man should have some independence).
[right][snapback]784497[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

After reading this and logging off, I remembered an example that shows that some of this is culture-dependent. For example, I learned from a Salvadoran family that in their society you live at home until you get married - in fact, I found out that I was considered a sinner because I was single and lived on my own!!

photosynthesis

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Nov 10 2005, 01:01 PM']After reading this and logging off, I remembered an example that shows that some of this is culture-dependent.  For example, I learned from a Salvadoran family that in their society you live at home until you get married - in fact, I found out that I was considered a sinner because I was single and lived on my own!!
[right][snapback]784906[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
in the U.S, single adults who live with their parents are called "single parasites."

when my parents divorced (when I was 3) my mom moved back in with my grandma, and that's how I grew up. My dad constantly said bad things about my mom because she chose to move back in with her mom... I'm glad she did it though, because i never had to be a latchkey kid.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Nov 10 2005, 01:01 PM']After reading this and logging off, I remembered an example that shows that some of this is culture-dependent.  For example, I learned from a Salvadoran family that in their society you live at home until you get married - in fact, I found out that I was considered a sinner because I was single and lived on my own!!
[right][snapback]784906[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If my only options were to get married or live with my parents, there's no doubt in my mind that I'd be married today.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 10 2005, 01:25 PM']If my only options were to get married or live with my parents, there's no doubt in my mind that I'd be married today.
[right][snapback]784921[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
me too!

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Nov 10 2005, 12:15 AM']nah, I think it in an ideal society you live with your parents until you go off to get married, that's the reason to leave father and mother.  that'll teach you independence too, there's no need to go off and then have no one living with you.  going off to live with your wife is the idealest of situations, I think.
[right][snapback]784510[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What about those of us who don't get married?

Well, I guess as long as we're talking about an ideal world . . .

" . . . There's a lake of stew, and of whiskey too.
You can paddle all around them in a big canoe,
In the Big Rock Candy Mountain!"

photosynthesis

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 10 2005, 08:23 PM']What about those of us who don't get married?

Well, I guess as long as we're talking about an ideal world . . .

" . . . There's a lake of stew, and of whiskey too.
You can paddle all around them in a big canoe,
In the Big Rock Candy Mountain!"
[right][snapback]785254[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
hahaha!!! :lol: