homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 It seems that Phatmass has infected my sleeping. Last night I dreamed that there was a thread for split infinitives and it was dedicated to Micah. Each post had to [b]actually[/b] contain a sentence with a split infinitive. They're incorrect, btw... just humor me. (If you don't know what a split infinitive is, it's when you want to [b]randomly [/b]shove a word between "to" and the verb you're using. ie "[b]To boldly go [/b]where no man has gone before.")
Jaime Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 I would but I have to rapidly prepare for the possibility of work
homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Author Posted November 29, 2005 So, you want to coldly leave me in this thread alone?
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 I can't do it. I'm trying, and I can't make myself do it.
scardella Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 Did you know that the rule to not split infinitives comes from some old funky guy who complained because it's not possible in Latin?
homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Author Posted November 29, 2005 You have to simply forget everything you learned about grammar...
Cam42 Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 I am not smart enough to effectively be in this conversation. It is too hard for me to honestly speak about the idea of split inifinitives. However, as hot stuff so rightly puts it; to honestly search will bring fruit. Or it could be said to better understand the Catholic's position, one should just go to Holy Mass.
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:39 AM']You have to simply forget everything you learned about grammar... [right][snapback]803761[/snapback][/right] [/quote] If only I could do that ... I find it's become ingrained in the very fabric of my being.
Cam42 Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='scardella' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:39 AM']Did you know that the rule to not split infinitives comes from some old funky guy who complained because it's not possible in Latin? [right][snapback]803759[/snapback][/right] [/quote] That, however, is a false analogy. The thinking is that because the Latin infinitive is a single word, the equivalent English construction should be treated as if it were a single unit. But English is not Latin, and distinguished writers have split infinitives without giving it a thought. Noteworthy splitters include John Donne, Daniel Defoe, George Eliot, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, William Wordsworth, and Willa Cather.
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:52 AM']and William Shatner.... [right][snapback]803779[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Who, incidentally, is quite funny in Boston Legal.
homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Author Posted November 29, 2005 Are you trying to humorously hijack my thread?
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:57 AM']Are you humorously trying to hijack my thread? [right][snapback]803788[/snapback][/right] [/quote] No, no, of course not. I would never do something like that.
homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Author Posted November 29, 2005 I'll have to ask you to please stop it.
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:59 AM'] Please, I'll have to ask you to stop it. [right][snapback]803792[/snapback][/right] [/quote] OK, if you insist. I wouldn't want to antagonize you.
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:59 AM']I've died and gone to hell. [right][snapback]803793[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I know what you mean. Really I do.
homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Author Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 29 2005, 10:01 AM']OK, if you insist. I wouldn't want to constantly antagonize you. [right][snapback]803795[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Thanks.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now