Guest KevinSymonds Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1885036' date='Jun 6 2009, 06:05 PM']If I were to have carelessly split an infinitive on an English paper last year, my teacher would have decided to rudely stamp my paper with "AARGH!".[/quote] I was merciless with my students last Fall. The seniors had a -1 point for every spelling, grammatical or syntax error in a THEOLOGY class for their Theology term papers. One student said rather curtly, "You should have been an English teacher." I took all of Christmas break to think about that remark and I answered it on the first day of the Spring semester. I said, "[i]Yes, I am serious about proper English in a theology course because in Theology, one word can make the difference between orthodoxy and heterodoxy[/i]." For all you Dr. Hildebrandians: "[i]homoiousios[/i]" or "[i]homoousios[/i]" anyone?
Resurrexi Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 (edited) [quote name='KevinSymonds' post='1885524' date='Jun 7 2009, 11:04 AM']I was merciless with my students last Fall. The seniors had a -1 point for every spelling, grammatical or syntax error in a THEOLOGY class for their Theology term papers. One student said rather curtly, "You should have been an English teacher." I took all of Christmas break to think about that remark and I answered it on the first day of the Spring semester. I said, "[i]Yes, I am serious about proper English in a theology course because in Theology, one word can make the difference between orthodoxy and heterodoxy[/i]." For all you Dr. Hildebrandians: "[i]homoiousios[/i]" or "[i]homoousios[/i]" anyone?[/quote] Homoousious is a particularly appropriate word to think about today, as it is the Feast of the Most Holy Trinity. What theology course do you get to usually teach? Edited June 7, 2009 by Resurrexi
Guest KevinSymonds Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1885529' date='Jun 7 2009, 11:09 AM']Homoousious is a particularly appropriate word to think about today, as it is the Feast of the Most Holy Trinity. What theology course do you get to usually teach?[/quote] Well, this past year I had Scripture (Freshmen), Intro to Catholicism (Soph.) and Morality & Ethics (Seniors). I would absolutely, positively LOVE to just teach a college course on Private Revelation.
VeniteAdoremus Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 Ha! A Dutch Catholic comedian (well, actually THE Dutch Catholic comedian) used to humorously say "Eén verkeerde komma of letter maakt van Jezus nog een ketter!" (or "One single wrong comma or letter could turn Jesus into a heretic"). And it's true. The Lord's Sheep: you can start [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Dutch_origin"]here[/url], with words that are probably easy to remember Both "cookie" and "waffle" come from Dutch, apparently. I think this is a very good thing.
Guest KevinSymonds Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 I am tempted to agree that a comma can make a break a theological statement.
Vincent Vega Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 [quote name='MithLuin' post='1884971' date='Jun 6 2009, 01:12 PM']You have to remember that languages grow and that there is not one person who is 'in charge' of what is grammatically correct or not. The consensus and general usage can change certain rules. So, splitting infinitives is viewed as grammatically incorrect by some (but not all) English speakers. The intentional splitting of infinitives in this thread shows how to not use them. But there are cases where splitting the infinitive would be more appropriate/accurate than not doing so. One 'rule' of grammar is that if something you like is not considered to be correct...use it, and see if it catches on![/quote] I done did liked this point of view when I first had readed it.
homeschoolmom Posted June 7, 2009 Author Posted June 7, 2009 You people have managed to effortlessly derail my thread. If you want to hopefully get back on task, please reread the OP and that will help you to possibly get back on track.
the lords sheep Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 (edited) HSM: I hope you will be able to mercifully accept our apologies. To VA: Dank u wel! (that was the only word I managed to perfectly master while in the Netherlands...) Edited June 7, 2009 by the lords sheep
VeniteAdoremus Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 HSM: please allow me to repentfully join in the lord's sheep's sentiments. TLS: Wow! You didn't glue them all together! I am v. impressed (You can say "je" instead of "u", if you want, we're only 10 months apart )
Resurrexi Posted June 27, 2009 Posted June 27, 2009 I hate it when other posters on Phatmass choose to incorrectly use infinitives.
Christie_M Posted June 27, 2009 Posted June 27, 2009 (edited) then i hope you will choose to forgive their ignorance Edited June 27, 2009 by Christie_M
Resurrexi Posted June 27, 2009 Posted June 27, 2009 [quote name='Christie_M' post='1902528' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:04 PM']then i hope you will choose to forgive their ignorance[/quote] There is not split infinitive in your post. Posts in this thread are supposed to always contain split infinitives.
Christie_M Posted June 27, 2009 Posted June 27, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1902530' date='Jun 26 2009, 09:07 PM']There is not split infinitive in your post. Posts in this thread are supposed to always contain split infinitives.[/quote] first i did, now i didn't...nothing pleases you!
Resurrexi Posted June 27, 2009 Posted June 27, 2009 This is the only thread in which it is acceptable to sometimes write grammatical errors.
MissyP89 Posted June 27, 2009 Posted June 27, 2009 Would it also be acceptable to mercilessly beat you over the head for being such a fascist meanie poo poo head?
missionseeker Posted June 27, 2009 Posted June 27, 2009 I had to literally laugh out at Missy's post.
Resurrexi Posted June 27, 2009 Posted June 27, 2009 [quote name='missionseeker' post='1902961' date='Jun 27 2009, 04:58 PM']I had to literally laugh out at Missy's post.[/quote] I actually thought it was rather funny, too!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now