An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Benedictine Orders?

she_who_is_not

she_who_is_not

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good, orthodox benedictine orders out there. Also is anyone discerning with the Benedictines?
Thanks. so much.
God's Peace,
Amanda

Hey Amanda! I haven't visited these orders, but heard good things!

[url="http://http://www.ihmwestfield.com/"]Westfield Benedictines[/url]
-very cool, these sisters chant the Divine Office and have Mass in Latin

[url="http://www.walburga.org/"]Abbey of St. Walburga[/url]
Colorado based and have some new vocations

[url="http://ourladyofthedesert.org/"]Our Lady of the Desert[/url]
new community in the desert of New Mexico, a daughter house of a monastery in Australia

[url="http://www.mountcaritasmonastery.org/information.htm"]Mount Caritas Monastery[/url]
founded in the 70's in CT.

[url="http://www.stemma.org/"]St. Emma Monastery[/url]
founded in Germany, now in PA, has had pretty steady vocations

[url="http://www.petershampriory.org/"]Petersham Priory[/url]
in MA

There is also the Benedictine Sisters of Corpus Christi in Ann Arbor, MI
4485 Earhart Rd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48105-9710
Phone: 734-995-3876

I'm not discerning with the Benedictines, but I have a great respect for them. Good luck w/ discernment!

she_who_is_not

Thanks so much for the links, thyholylove, it's really helpful. I'm just starting to discern and I definitely feel called to the contemplative life and have mostly been drawn to the Poor Clares but I also have this little voice in my head saying Benedictines!?! So, I want to look. I love the Rule of St. Benedict and St. Scholastica is also a favorite. I almost named my cat after her. I'm also in contact with the Domincans in Lockport, mostly because i feel I have been prejudiced against the Dominican order by a friend who was forced to read too much Aquinas. Anyway I really appreciate the info. Thanks again,
Amanda

I know that figuring out where God wants you is very confusing but hang in there. Read up about the communities that intrest you and visit them if you can. Visiting makes all the diference.

I'm not biased or anything (hahaha!) but I'm glad you're checking out the Dominicans. I love them and all their traditions. The Dominicans at Lockport are great and so are the Dominicans in Summit NJ. Here is their blog [url="http://monialesop.blogspot.com/"]Dominican Nuns[/url]

There is also a new community of Benedictine Sisters starting in Florida at Ave Maria Unveristy. They are sort of "limited active". I don't know their url but they do have a website. It's Queen of Peace monastery.

Don't be prejudiced against the Dominicans :) You might like to also look at some different monasteries of Dominican Nuns. The Lockport Sisters are just a small community of 2 (with one postulant) and not fully "nuns' yet. Some on phatmass are attracted to the idea of being part of something "new" or rather, restarting, but I know not everyone is attracted to that and would rather be part of a stable community with longer traditions, etc.

The Summit Dominicans are good: [url="http://www.op.org/nunsopsummit"]Summit Dominicans[/url] and there are monasteries in MA, TX, CA, CT, NY, AL and MI. I think there is a website that lists them all somewhere. Yep, here it is!

[url="http://www.op.org/usaopnuns/"]Dominican Nuns[/url]

God bless you in your discernment!

I am sorry Susan but you are greatly misinformed. I am not sure who you are getting your information from on the Lockport Dominicans but where ever it is the information is faulty. The Lockport Dominicans have 4 members and on December 30th they will have five. That's 3 new memebers in 6 months. They are real nuns they have been canonical established for the last 25 years. They were founded by the foundress of the Dominican nuns in Lufkin Texas. They are refounding , but they are still canonically established and their tradition is long because they are affiliated with the Order of Preachers which gives them an 800 year tradition just like the other Dominican communitys. I would like to ask you to please double check your information before you post things all over the internet. There is nothing wrong with the Lockport Domincans they are a wonderful community and I would know seeiing as I have lived there.

Karin

The Benedictines of Perpetual Adoration (Missouri) are a semicloistered order that came to this country from Switzerland about 125 yrs. ago. They wear black and white dress as a habit, and are not veiled. Postulants and novices wear plain clothing, and do not wear religious dress or take a religious name until first profession. They make altar breads and publish a magazine ([i]Spirit and Life[/i]). They also engage in retreat work and some manual labor for the upkeep of their monastery. They recently developed an almost gluten free host for wheat allergic/intolerant folks approved by the Church. They have a beautiful website, although I can't think of it offhand. Just do a search on Benedictine Perpetual Adoration and you should get there.

Other Benedictine orders you might check out are the Olivetan Benedictine Sisters and the Benedictine Sisters of New Jersey. Both have active ministry and wear modified habits.

Another cloistered order is in Connecticut--the Abbey of Regina Laudis.

I'm glad to see some interest in the Benedictines here. The Rule of St. Benedict is over 1500 years old and still is such a sane and well-balanced way to live, whether you are layfolk or religious.

Benedictines are well known for their tradition of hospitality. Hope you enjoy your discernment with them.

daugher-of-Mary

The Westfield Benedictines are FANTASTIC! Their vocation directress is an amazing person. I don't think I am called to that community, but I can't thank God enough for my correspondance with Sr. Maria Magdalen.

[quote name='karin' date='Dec 21 2005, 04:55 PM']I am sorry Susan but you are greatly misinformed. I am not sure who you are getting your information from on the Lockport Dominicans but where ever it is the information is faulty. The Lockport Dominicans have 4 members and on December 30th they will have five. That's 3 new memebers in 6 months. They are real nuns they have been canonical established for the last 25 years. They were founded by the foundress of the Dominican nuns in Lufkin Texas. They are refounding , but they are still canonically established and their tradition is long because they are affiliated with the Order of Preachers which gives them an 800 year tradition just like the other Dominican communitys. I would like to ask you to please double check your information before you post things all over the internet. There is nothing wrong with the Lockport Domincans they are a wonderful community and I would know seeiing as I have lived there.

Karin
[right][snapback]833086[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Dear Karin,
I did NOT say there was anything wrong with the Lockport Dominicans. I'm sorry you got that impression. There sure isn't! I know you are hoping to enter there and that's GREAT! But I was told by another Dominican monastery that they are not nuns, per se, but still contemplative sisters under the bishop. I was told that once they have enough members they hope to be established as full Nuns of the Order of Preachers as the other monsasteries are. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them! It's just that I know not everyone feels called to be part of community getting refounded. It's simply a matter of where one is being called.

I thought there were only 2 nuns and one postulant! There are 5!!! Are there a few sisters hiding from the camera :)

Please don't be offended and I'm only going by the information I received from another Dominican monastery.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='Dec 21 2005, 03:16 PM']Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good, orthodox benedictine orders out there. Also is anyone discerning with the Benedictines?
Thanks. so much.
God's Peace,
Amanda
[right][snapback]833004[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Amanda, welcome to phatmass. I'm also from nc so that's cool. There's a benedictine cloister in Norway. Their website is: [url="http://www.tautra.no/English/"]http://www.tautra.no/English/[/url]

I know one of the sisters there. The community consists of nuns who came from a Benedictine cloister in America and started this one in Norway. They are in need of vocations so even though it's in Norway, it's def a viable option if you're looking into the Benedictines.

And I would concur with those who have suggested that you look into the Dominicans. Don't be biased against them (although I'm def biased for them). Summit is a very good place to start. ^_^

Edited by msahara

[b]Welcome to PhatMass, Amanda![/b] :welcome:

I actually joined after you today, but have been lurking :ninja: around these boards for such a long time I already feel like a member! ^_^ I think it is awesome that you have overcome your prejudice against the O.P.'s and are in discernment with the Dominican Nuns in Lockport. :clap: They are [b]SO[/b] [b]COOL!!! [/b]I love them :love: I know a [b][u]lot[/u][/b] of girls (including me) who are seriously interested in their Community. I think that three PhatMassers have already been accepted there. Even more are talking about planning visits to their Monastery to be interviewed. [b]WAHOO!!! [/b]Did I mention that [b]I LOVE THEM [/b]:breakdance:

I am praying for you, Amanda. Please continue to update . . .

[b]P.S.[/b] You may want to check out the many [b]awesomeness of Lockport[/b] threads that have already been started.

Say [b]HI[/b] to Mother Mistress for me if you talk to her before I do :blowkiss:

Edited by seignadou

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='Dec 21 2005, 03:16 PM']Hi,
Thanks. so much.
God's Peace,
Amanda
[right][snapback]833004[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oblates of Mary, Queen of Apostles in Pennsylvania.

Their site explains it all and has a page for past and present newsletters...fully habited nuns, faithful to the Pope and The Church... are amazing

she_who_is_not

Everyone,
Thank you so much for your responses and prayers. There are so many amazing communities out there. I am particularly interested in the Westfield Benedcitines and the Oblates of Mary queen of Apostles. I can't type a capital q, weird. However, I am very appreciative in all your help as I discover God's will for my life. I discerned when in I was in high school but it was a very different experience. All I want is to do God's will. I'll keep praying for everyone here. Please have a blessed last few days of Advent. Rejoice!! He is coming soon.
God's Peace,
Amanda

she_who_is_not

Everyone,
Thank you so much for your responses and prayers. There are so many amazing communities out there. I am particularly interested in the Westfield Benedcitines and the Oblates of Mary queen of Apostles. I can't type a capital q, weird. However, I am very appreciative in all your help as I discover God's will for my life. I discerned when in I was in high school but it was a very different experience. All I want is to do God's will. I'll keep praying for everyone here. Please have a blessed last few days of Advent. Rejoice!! He is coming soon.
God's Peace,
Amanda

FutureScholastica

I'm so glad to see that there is someone else out there who is discerning with the Benedictines.

Personally I feel very drawn to the Daughters of Mary in Sweden ( which is where I'm from ), and I'd recomend them, though I guess they might be a little far away. :)

In fact, I'll be going to visit with them for a week on January 1st. I've been there a couple of times before and ever since I left the last time, I've been longing to go back. There is nothing quite like participating in the Divine Office in a community where you simply feel at home. God never feels as close to me as he does when I'm praying with the sisters.
I can't wait to go. Only 10 more days, and then I'm off!!

Sorry, I seem to rambling, but I'm just so excited.

Pax