An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Benedictine Orders?

she_who_is_not

son_of_angels

There is another order, The Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priests. They are a mix between Salesian and Benedictine sisters.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='FutureScholastica' date='Dec 22 2005, 09:04 PM']I'm so glad to see that there is someone else out there who is discerning with the Benedictines.

Personally I feel very drawn to the Daughters of Mary in Sweden ( which is where I'm from ), and I'd recomend them, though I guess they might be a little far away.  :)

In fact, I'll be going to visit with them for a week on January 1st. I've been there a couple of times before and ever since I left the last time, I've been longing to go back. There is nothing quite like participating in the Divine Office in a community where you simply feel at home. God never feels as close to me as he does when I'm praying with the sisters.
I can't wait to go. Only 10 more days, and then I'm off!!

Sorry, I seem to rambling, but I'm just so excited.

Pax
[right][snapback]834230[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Awesome!! I'm so glad you get to go visit with them. I will be praying for you!! I've never been to Sweden but have several college friends from Sweden and Denmark and they are always trying to get me into that corner of the world for a visit. Though, I think most of my Swedish friends now live in either Australia or England. However, good luck and God's blessings in your discernment.
God's Peace,
Amanda

she_who_is_not

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Dec 23 2005, 11:44 PM']There is another order, The Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priests.  They are a mix between Salesian and Benedictine sisters.
[right][snapback]835258[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hi Clayton,
I'll have to think about that. I love St. Francis de Sales. His Introduction to the Devout Life is one of my favorite books but I've never really felt an attraction to the Visitation. As for the Carthusians, no. Not that it isn't a wonderful call but it's not for me. Again thanks for the info and God Bless.
Peace,
Amanda

Amanda:

I would very much recommend the Oblates of Mary Queen of Apostles- www.oblatesofmary.com and the Benedictine Nuns of Regina Laudis- www.abbeyofreginalaudis.com

God bless,
Brendan

If you're looking for a good orthodox Benedictine community, check out the Cistercians Nuns in WI (www.nunocist.org). The Cistercians were a Benedictine reform movement that began in 1098. The nuns are fully habited and follow a strict observance of the Rule of St. Benedict. I've made two visits there if you'd like more information.

I've heard some sketchy things about the Regina Laudis community. That they're not as orthodox as some would expect. But I never looked into the Benedictines so I'm not sure.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='msahara' date='Dec 25 2005, 12:36 PM']I've heard some sketchy things about the Regina Laudis community.  That they're not as orthodox as some would expect.  But I never looked into the Benedictines so I'm not sure.
[right][snapback]835817[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, I've heard some really great gregorian chant from that community and I had gone to their website to find a contact address and I just got weird vibes when I was looking through it. Nothing in paticular really turned me off but I just wasn't sure. And I never did find the contact address. However, I would not let "weird vibes" prevent me from contacting an order and praying over it. This is the Lord's decision and I trust in his ability to do with me what he wishes. Regina Laudis really does produce some wonderful music, though. I'd make a visit just to listen.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='ForHimAlone' date='Dec 25 2005, 10:05 AM']If you're looking for a good orthodox Benedictine community, check out the Cistercians Nuns in WI (www.nunocist.org).  The Cistercians were a Benedictine reform movement that began in 1098.  The nuns are fully habited and follow a strict observance of the Rule of St. Benedict.  I've made two visits there if you'd like more information.
[right][snapback]835763[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hi ForHimAlone,
I have a question. What is the difference between a Cistercian and a Trappist? I'm sure I could go look it up but if you have and can post any information I'm sure it would be educational for all.
Peace,
Amanda

PS And a very blessed and merry Christmas day to all.

Amanda:

Trappists are Cistericans- those of the Strict Observance- OCSO.
The original Cistercians are those of the Regular Observance- O Cist.

So, Trappists are reformed Cistercians, who are are reformed Benedictines.

Both OCSO's, O Cist's and OSB's are Benedictines of various observances, all following the Rule of Saint Benedict, and all claiming the patriarch of Western Monasticism as their spiritual father.

Hope this helps.

God bless,
Brendan

she_who_is_not

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Dec 25 2005, 08:52 PM']Amanda:

Trappists are Cistericans- those of the Strict Observance- OCSO.
The original Cistercians are those of the Regular Observance- O Cist.

So, Trappists are reformed Cistercians, who are are reformed Benedictines.

Both OCSO's, O Cist's and OSB's are Benedictines of various observances, all following the Rule of Saint Benedict, and all claiming the patriarch of Western Monasticism as their spiritual father.

Hope this helps.

God bless,
Brendan
[right][snapback]836066[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks Brendan!! That actually really clears things up. I knew they weren't the same but just wasn't sure of the difference. There is a Trappist monastery near me in SC and I've known some people who have gone on retreat their and really loved it, but I've always been a little bit afraid of that kind of life. But, I sense there is great joy in it. I need to do some research. Again thanks.
God's Peace,
Amanda

I had the same reaction when I first looked at Regina Laudis ... I couldn't quite put my finger on what was making me queasy ... but now I think it must've been because, at least on their website, they emphasize "professionalism," so much.

Not that there's anything wrong with having lots of degrees. But the way they talk about it ... from their website:

[i]"As we develop a contemporary understanding of the dignity of all human labor and the Gospel mandate to be wise stewards of creation, we strive to support new and diverse expressions of that stewardship. We believe contemplative life must build on natural aptitudes and prior professional experience."[/i]

There's nothing really wrong with that, I don't think. But it's so ... cold and sterile. And didn't St. Benedict, St. Francis, etc. have a good understanding of the dignity of all human labour and stewardship of creation? Why does a new "contemporary understanding" have to be developed? And do they mean to suggest that you need prior professional experience to be a Benedictine?

Maybe I'm reading too much into things. But something about it gives me the hibby-jibbies!

P.S. Their Gregorian Chant [u]is[/u] absolutely gorgeous

[quote name='msahara' date='Dec 25 2005, 01:36 PM']I've heard some sketchy things about the Regina Laudis community.  That they're not as orthodox as some would expect.  But I never looked into the Benedictines so I'm not sure.
[right][snapback]835817[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is that the order with the nun who acted with Elvis and who votes for the academy awards? It was in Oprah's magazine a year or two ago.

If it is, one of my priest friends goes on retreat there, and he really likes it (he says that it's peaceful and the coagulated milk is good). Other than that, I don't know enough about that order to have an opinion about it.

I actually contacted them a year ago, To inquire abour a possible vocation. I got a chance to talk with Rev. Mother briefly. I also have a friend whom has gone to visit their community several times.

Interesting note about their community they don't put an hourium on their website also they prefer a girl interested to come and visit. Instead of talking to Rev. Mother or the Novice Mistress. In the words of Rev. Mother, when one has a religious vocation one is called to a particular order, and monastery. Again they REALLY insist on one visiting rather than calling!! Just my experience

Lastly my friend whom visited did get weird vibes from the place as well..

In JMJ

• 1 month later...

I am not sure if this community was suggested, but they are the Benedictine Sisters in Louisiana, they are a contemplative order of benedictine nuns who follow the rule of St. Benedict and they are a smaller community in southeast Louisiana, so perhaps you'd like to view their webpage to learn more!

[url="http://www.ourladyqueenmonastery.org/"]http://www.ourladyqueenmonastery.org/[/url]

God Bless You!