An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Benedictine Orders?

she_who_is_not

After listening to the Regina Laudis sisters on their CD, I decided to contact them a while back. They seemed all right, but after my first letter with them, their response was basically that I should visit and they will be able to decide, based on my aptitudes, if I am right for them. I felt that it was more like a job interview than a conversation/correspondence about religious life. It was a letter all about my talents, etc. There was nothing in the letter that talked about who they were, at all. It didn't attract me. But I am sure, judging by their numbers, that there are those out there who find them attractive. Yes, there is a sister there who used to be a professional Broadway actress. They still do put on secular plays on their stage on the monastery grounds.

[url="http://www.walburga.org"] Abbey of St. Walburga[/url]
They have just admitted 3 more postulants, check out their interesting website.

[url="http://www.stemma.org"] St. Emma's Monastery and Retreat House[/url]
This monastery has a relationship with St. Vincent's Archabbey in Latrobe PA and they have a very interesting history. They are very dedicated to retreat ministry. They have great local support and have recently built a beautiful chapel. They are experiencing a rebirth of vocations over the last 6-7 years. I grew up in western PA and can tell you it is a beautiful part of the country.

Has anyone here ever contacted either of these groups of Benedictines?

Amanda,

Earlier in this post, someone recommended (not sure who) the Benedictines of Perpetual Adoration. I was in contact with them initially as they have a monastery about 2 hours from here. They do not wear a habit at all. Their 'habit' (what they are calling it, which is misleading) is combination of: Black or white skirt, black or white top. Some wear one color, some mix and match. In order to call it their 'habit', they require that all postulants and novices bring their own clothing which cannot be those two colors. In addition, they have another monastery in Oklahoma, STL, and one other place (Wyoming I think). The one in OK has an 'ashram' for a chapel where all the sisters sit on pillows in a circle. Their prayer can include, as they have invited into the chapel for talks and prayer services people of non-Christian faiths, like gurus, yogis, etc. Their Blessed Sacrament Tabernacle is actually hanging from a tree in their ashram. :cry: :pray:

The vocation sister said that with them, you don't just enter one of the monasteries, you enter their motherhouse, and then can be assigned to a monastery, or even transferred, but they 'try to keep in mind your preferences'.

It just sounded. . .phishy. I would not inquire there as I know you are interested in a more orthodox community.

I will keep you in my :pray:

Denise

she_who_is_not

I contacted a couple of Benedictine orders and both were really nice but I am pretty certain my call is not there. There is on order that I really took a liking to though, [url="http://www.tyburnconvent.org.uk"]tyburn convent[/url]. They have perpetual adoration and I was going to try to visit them this summer or fall but my plans to go to the UK fell apart and I honestly don't know if I will ever get back to England. :weep: Mother Simeon is very nice and they replied very promptly and encouragingly. As one of the first communities I contacted I think this contributed to my favorable impression. Anyway, I'm kind of rambiling so,
God's Peace always,
Amanda

she_who_is_not

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 15 2006, 10:15 AM']Amanda,

The one in OK has an 'ashram' for a chapel where all the sisters sit on pillows in a circle.  Their prayer can include, as they have invited into the chapel for talks and prayer services people of non-Christian faiths, like gurus, yogis, etc.  Their Blessed Sacrament Tabernacle is actually hanging from a tree in their ashram.  :cry:  :pray: 

[right][snapback]888162[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Wow, I've heard about monasteries incorporating Eastern style monasticim into their traditions(and never entirely approved) but that is really crazy. I mean what is wrong with traditional western style monasticim? :idontknow: Sorry, I'm really unnerved by this.
Amanda

It is disturbing. You should have seen me, when I was corresponding with the vocation director. She wrote a few times after I told her I wasn't really interested in a community that would use an 'ashram' in a Roman Catholic Monastery. She said something about being 'open' to our brothers and sisters who are not Christian.

Uh, you don't see Muslims putting up crucifixes in order to be 'open' to us? By integrating non Catholic things into our worship says to others that our own worship is not complete, that we need to add other forms of worship to somehow make ours more perfect, more complete. Uh.
No. Wrong! Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Laurentina1975

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='Dec 21 2005, 03:16 PM']Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good, orthodox benedictine orders out there. Also is anyone discerning with the Benedictines?
Thanks. so much.
God's Peace,
Amanda
[right][snapback]833004[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='karin' date='Dec 21 2005, 04:55 PM']I am sorry Susan but you are greatly misinformed. I am not sure who you are getting your information from on the Lockport Dominicans but where ever it is the information is faulty. The Lockport Dominicans have 4 members and on December 30th they will have five. That's 3 new memebers in 6 months. They are real nuns they have been canonical established for the last 25 years. They were founded by the foundress of the Dominican nuns in Lufkin Texas. They are refounding , but they are still canonically established and their tradition is long because they are affiliated with the Order of Preachers which gives them an 800 year tradition just like the other Dominican communitys. I would like to ask you to please double check your information before you post things all over the internet. There is nothing wrong with the Lockport Domincans they are a wonderful community and I would know seeiing as I have lived there.

Karin
[right][snapback]833086[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Susan' date='Dec 21 2005, 05:50 PM']Dear Karin,
I did NOT say there was anything wrong with the Lockport Dominicans. I'm sorry you got that impression. There sure isn't! I know you are hoping to enter there and that's GREAT! But I was told by another Dominican monastery that they are not nuns, per se, but still contemplative sisters under the bishop. I was told that once they have enough members they hope to be established as full Nuns of the Order of Preachers as the other monsasteries are. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them! It's just that I know not everyone feels called to be part of community getting refounded. It's simply a matter of where one is being called.

I thought there were only 2 nuns and one postulant! There are 5!!! Are there a few sisters hiding from the camera  :)

Please don't be offended and I'm only going by the information I received from another Dominican monastery.
[right][snapback]833111[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

First off WELCOME Amanda! So nice to have you here to chat with in phatmass.

Susan, I am in complete agreement with you. I called the Diocese of Houma Thibodaux and was informed that they are NOT and established monastery (Pontifically through Rome). You need 9 members be be established by Rome, that is be a Pontifical community. You are correct Susan, they are under Bishop Sam Jacobs and answer to the Diocese. According to the Chancellor, Sr. Miriam of that Diocese, they are made up of only two members with one postulant. My information came straight from the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux!

Maybe the other 2 are camera shy! :)

Susan, you are right again to say it doesn't make a community good or bad because they have two, three, four...how ever many members.

It's really up to GOD where one is called.

Peace and all good!
Tootles!

Thank you Lauren :D:

and :welcome: Amanda!!! I live fairly close to a Tyburn convent. They are beautiful :D: Gods will, WILL be done! and it is all in His time. I hope you do get to visit the UK, though ;)

You live close to tyburn convent? WOW :drool: I looked into their community at one point. So have you gone and visited? Whats it like there??

I made the original post about the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration way back when.
I'm not a devotee of eastern monasticism myself, but there has been of late an exploration between eastern and western monastic traditions to see where parallel contemplative practices exist. You will probably find that of interest within some Cistercian communities, not so much elsewhere.
The Oklahoma monastery/ashram tabernacle does not hang from a tree. However, if you go to the website, you see it is suspended in front of a large wooden cross. Again, not my style, but not sacrilegious either.

What has been true for ages is the appeal of the Rule of St. Benedict to every stripe of Christian and non-Christian. Hospitality is written into the Rule very clearly and Benedictines take it very seriously. People from other religious traditions who are interested in studying the Rule are welcomed by most Benedictines not just this particular congregation.

These sisters motherhouse is in Clyde, Missouri. While they no longer reside in St. Louis, I had several occasions to meet them and attend the Eucharist in their chapel. I never saw anything but the most reverence for prayer. They were kind gracious and warm to all visitors. I am a subscriber to their magazine [i]Spirit and Life[/i] which has published nothing contrary to Catholic doctrine.

As for their dress, simple black and white clothing does qualify as a habit. The Rule of St. Benedict does state that the habit was not to be given until the member made profession. In that light, these sisters returned to that practice in having the novitiate members wear their own clothing.

Sorry to ramble, I know this congregation will not appeal to most of the discerners here, but this group is not as strange as made out to be.
I did make mention of the Benedictines in Virginia Dale CO and Latrobe PA who are more traditional in dress and practice.

PAX

I made the response that it didn't seem to qualify as a habit because, when one thinks of the words religious habit, they don't think white shirt, black skirt. I haven't gone so far as to put a poll out, but, for instance, there were some OP sisters here, who, back in the mid 90s, wore a modified habit of white mid calf length tunic and scapular and shorter veil. Later, they just wore white shirt of some sort and black skirt. All the people, young and old, when seeing them, would say. .. How come they're not wearing their habit. The sisters themselves said, 'we're now opting for simple dress, and not a religious habit.'

Interestingly enough, there are many communities, Benedictine in spirituality and charism, who invest the novice in habit and white veil, not giving her the black veil until vows, as is common in many monasteries of all charisms and orders.

While I understand your comment that Benedict was adamant in his decree of hospitality, I don't know if he would go so far as to allow those of other religions to give talks on their faith in our own chapels. In addition, I certainly don't believe that he would go so far as to build a Buddhist temple, Muslim mosque or native american ashram in order to make those coming feel that they are receiving better hospitality.

As for the Tabernacle hanging from a tree or a cross, again, I don't know if our Lord would be all that happy to be hanging on one side of the cross, while a potted plant was hanging on the other.

I'm pretty traditional in that, when feeling my call to religious life, one of my foremost thoughts was that I was called to a community completely faithful to the Magesterium of the Church, wore a traditional habit and lived in community with full prayer in common. So my posts here will reflect that.

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 15 2006, 06:14 PM']I made the response that it didn't seem to qualify as a habit because, when one thinks of the words religious habit, they don't think white shirt, black skirt.  I haven't gone so far as to put a poll out, but, for instance, there were some OP sisters here, who, back in the mid 90s, wore a modified habit of white mid calf length tunic and scapular and shorter veil.  Later, they just wore white shirt of some sort and black skirt.  All the people, young and old, when seeing them, would say. .. How come they're not wearing their habit.  The sisters themselves said, 'we're now opting for simple dress, and not a religious habit.'

Interestingly enough, there are many communities, Benedictine in spirituality and charism, who invest the novice in habit and white veil, not giving her the black veil until vows, as is common in many monasteries of all charisms and orders.

While I understand your comment that Benedict was adamant in his decree of hospitality, I don't know if he would go so far as to allow those of other religions to give talks on their faith in our own chapels.  In addition, I certainly don't believe that he would go so far as to build a Buddhist temple, Muslim mosque or native american ashram in order to make those coming feel that they are receiving better hospitality.

As for the Tabernacle hanging from a tree or a cross, again, I don't know if our Lord would be all that happy to be hanging on one side of the cross, while a potted plant was hanging on the other.

I'm pretty traditional in that, when feeling my call to religious life, one of my foremost thoughts was that I was called to a community completely faithful to the Magesterium of the Church, wore a traditional habit and lived in community with full prayer in common.  So my posts here will reflect that.
[right][snapback]888688[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I, for one, am delighted that you are here!

she_who_is_not

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 15 2006, 06:18 PM']I, for one, am delighted that you are here!
[right][snapback]888758[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I second that OLAM Dad!