An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anybody have Catholic book club suggestions?

OLAM Dad

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 10 2006, 08:48 PM']But seriously. . .does anyone know of a good edition/translation of the Imitation of Christ??  What about Challoner?
[right][snapback]942814[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, the one I have is published by The Catholic Book Publishing Company and is edited by Clare L. Fitzpatrick. I don't know who edited the TAN published version, but I would judge it to be a pretty accurate translation/edition. :)

Thank you. If anyone else has any opinions, a PM would be much appreciated as I may not be posting during Holy Week, except the countdown.

DemonSlayer

I don't have it but The Collar (A Year of Striving And Faith Inside a Catholic Seminary) by: Jonathan Englert; might be interesting.

• 13 years later...
Chuck Spinner

Hello,

My name is Chuck Spinner. I would like to suggest that my book, A Book of Prayers: To the Heavens From the Stars, be considered as a recommended read for your book club.

A Book of Prayers: To the Heavens from the Stars is the compilation of the favorite prayers from over 100 well known celebrities. Included among these famous people are Oscar winners; Heisman Trophy recipients; Olympic Gold Medallists; Four-star Generals; a Nobel Peace Prize recipient; and even a Monarch and three former Miss Americas. The book highlights both religion and history and illustrates that athletes, entertainers, and government officials can and do provide positive models for the power and efficacy of prayer.

The book is published and is available through AuthorHouse.com. To order you can call AuthorHouse at 812-339-6000 (ex. 5022). The book can also be purchased through your local bookstore or through Amazon.com.

The book is very appropriate for book club discussion groups. It has proven to be a great springboard to a discussion on prayer in one's life.

The book of prayers can be used with religious education classes and Confirmation classes. It is also a welcomed gift for any occasion (eg. Birthday, Father or Mother's Day, Christmas, etc.). The prayers and reflections from the book are very popular for use in retreats.

The book has proven to be an inspiration for many Catholics and can be found on many family nightstands. It has been circulated among Holy Name Societies as well as the Knights of Columbus organization. A Book of Prayers can be found in hospitals, funeral parlors, religious ed classes, and church libraries. The book has proven to be a popular book to be sent out to overseas military family and friends,

Parents have gifted the book to their children as they go off to college.