An Old School Catholic Message Board

married priests and nuns

Andrea348

Guest JeffCR07

thats a great response Paph!

Truly, everything does fall into place when we remember that whatever calling we have, it is a privelage, not a right.

I'm personally discerning the priesthood, and I feel the weight of that sacrifice as much as any other guy my age who thinks he might have a calling. But I also know in my heart that this is something God is asking me to do, and when God asks, we should give ourselves entirely. Whatever I am asked to give up, I do so gladly because it is my Lord who is asking if of me.

No sacrifice is easy, and, to be honest, I think it would be dangerous to return to a married priesthood simply for the sake of reducing the sacrifice that men are making. If you really have a calling, you will make whatever sacrifice is necessary, and if being married is the only factor keeping a man from the priesthood, then I can say with certainty that man does not have a calling.

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:04 PM']thats a great response Paph!

Truly, everything does fall into place when we remember that whatever calling we have, it is a privelage, not a right.

I'm personally discerning the priesthood, and I feel the weight of that sacrifice as much as any other guy my age who thinks he might have a calling. But I also know in my heart that this is something God is asking me to do, and when God asks, we should give ourselves entirely. Whatever I am asked to give up, I do so gladly because it is my Lord who is asking if of me.

No sacrifice is easy, and, to be honest, I think it would be dangerous to return to a married priesthood simply for the sake of reducing the sacrifice that men are making. If you really have a calling, you will make whatever sacrifice is necessary, and if being married is the only factor keeping a man from the priesthood, then I can say with certainty that man does not have a calling.
[right][snapback]852934[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:applause:

Pahpy and Jeff for Church Militant...oh wait, they already are :P:

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jan 11 2006, 12:04 PM']I'm personally discerning the priesthood[/quote]Are you really?!
:woot: Dude that is awesome. I think that you would make an excellent candidate from what I know of you on phatmass.

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:10 PM']Are you really?!
:woot:  Dude that is awesome. I think that you would make an excellent candidate from what I know of you on phatmass.
[right][snapback]852940[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, Anselmian clergy....things could get interesting :cool:

[quote name='dandy777' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:26 PM']how old are you jeff, if i may ask?
[right][snapback]852957[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'll answer this one for you Jeff. Jeff's my age ;)

[quote name='Myles' date='Jan 11 2006, 08:30 PM']I'll answer this one for you Jeff. Jeff's my age  ;)
[right][snapback]852965[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hehe... ok ... hope you are not a handsome guy ... lol ... so few handsome single ones remain on the market :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

Joking apart, I am really happy that you feel the calling. I feel a great affection for priests and religious. Have quite a few religious people in my family too and I intercede for them a lot especially for seminarians to strengthen their faith and vocation.

However, when one is still at the beginning of the journey the person is very enthusiastic and zealous about it just like two new lovers who meet for the first times. You get those butterflies feeling in the stomach and everytime you think of your beloved, your hearts beats faster and more forcefully. Even though love deepens, this feeling fades away bit by bit. This also happens to priests and then at that point the burden of being alone with no family is carried along. I am just stating what I heard from various priests and they are really great priests who have a strong calling and do a lot of good.

[quote name='dandy777' date='Jan 11 2006, 12:56 PM']hehe... ok ... hope you are not a handsome guy ... lol ... so few handsome single ones remain on the market  :D:D:D:D:D:D:

Joking apart, I am really happy that you feel the calling. I feel a great affection for priests and religious. Have quite a few religious people in my family too and I intercede for them a lot especially for seminarians to strengthen their faith and vocation.

However, when one is still at the beginning of the journey the person is very enthusiastic and zealous about it just like two new lovers who meet for the first times. You get those butterflies feeling in the stomach and everytime you think of your beloved, your hearts beats faster and more forcefully. Even though love deepens, this feeling fades away bit by bit.  This also happens to priests and then at that point the burden of being alone with no family is carried along. I am just stating what I heard from various priests and they are really great priests who have a strong calling and do a lot of good.
[right][snapback]853009[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If God gives the calling he gives the grace to fullfill it. It will be tested along the way just as chastity within marriage will be tested along the way. Your senario proves nothing about the good of celibacy or whether celibacy should be mandatory. To those whom it has been given they need the grace of God to fullfil thier celibate life. If that were not true then men would be doing it on their own and it would not be by the grace of God.

[quote]This also happens to priests and then at that point the burden of being alone with no family is carried along.[/quote]You have an excellent point. The honeymoon phase passes and you are left with reality. It happens. I like to think of it as the cross of the vocation. The married father has the burden or cross of providing for a family of 2-18 people. As thess said, and I said earlier, God calls and supplies the grace. Does it mean that there wont be times of temptation or lonliness? No. As you point out, men have a natural urge for love and family, but what it does mean is that God will make the means possible for the priest to perservere and live a fulfilling and joyful life.

I think that there is an overemphasis on the joys of family life without enough emphasis on the joys of a celibate clerical life. Both callings have their hard times and to expect that putting the two together will eliminate the hardships of the other is unrealistic. I do not believe that you mean exactly that, but it is something to think about.

[quote name='dandy777' date='Jan 11 2006, 10:26 AM'] Man are social beings and they need to companionship and love. [right][snapback]852844[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Which is why "can I handle celibacy?" is one of the major factors in discernment. One of the most memorable homilies I've heard is the one a seminarian gave (I know, technically that is a liturgical abuse) on "Seminary Sunday" in which he stated the hard part of celibacy is not the physical self-control, but getting to your 40s and 50s and seeing people your age with children and grandchildren.

If one knows he can't handle celibacy, the priesthood is not for him. .

On some previous questions, yes Eastern Orthodox and Byzantine Catholics may get married. With Byzantine in the United States, however, this is often much more in theory than in practice due to earlier quabbles with the Latin clergy especially in the beggining of last century. However, even in the east, celibcy is recognized as something to attain to, but few can reach. Paul speaks of this in his letters to the Corinthians I believe. Also, most Eastern Rite Catholic bishops will not allow a jurisdiction transfer due to a desire of such. (BTW, I think St. Photius argued against manditory celibacy, not for it. Perhaps I misread someone's post). While that's said, even in Orthodoxy, although priests are held in the highest regard, this is a vocation that is not often encouraged due to the difficulty and judgement that one will bear upon his soul. Thus,it is just as difficult with a family. However, as Norseman, said so well, if one cannot handle celibcy then the a celibate vocation is not for him. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong, but God is directing him elsewhere and this is one of the beauties of marriage.

[url="http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0212/opinion/davies.html"]Celibacy in Context by Maximos Davies[/url]

A good article that I feel is relevant to this discussion