Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1305394692' post='2241396']
I prefer Quenya to Klingon.

Si man i yulma enquantuva?
[/quote]
Whoa.. Tough call but I'd be happy to have fluency in either one. :dance:

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1305408561' post='2241536']
Why do you object to stock ownership? Aren't those investors exposing themselves to financial risk by their partial ownership?
[/quote]

Not unless they are actually involved with the actual running of the buisness. I do not object to the term stock used as a method of keeping track of shares of ownership of those actually involved in the buisness, be it management or worker. I object to ownership being absracted to the point that ithe owner has no relation to the property owned. this is for a lot of reasons, but 2 simple ones... the "owner" is not responsable for the actions of the corportation, and fundementally I reject the notionthat you can own what you have no part in creating, moving, selling, etc.

That is very simple andpoorly explained, I would have to write you much longer explination totruely explain my position, but that will haveto wait.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1305413079' post='2241549']
Whoa.. Tough call but I'd be happy to have fluency in either one. :dance:
[/quote]

You can achieve greater fluency in Klingon because a more complete dictionary has been published. But Quenya sounds beautiful and expresses more interesting ideas :P

Aiya Earendil elenion ancalima!

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1305326791' post='2241055']
No need to read all that into it. The main idea was this: "I have no tolerance for anti-science activists marketing themselves and their agendas in Catholic terms." You feel differently about it, fine. But I wasn't making a sweeping statement about individuals who have worked with think tanks advocating the free market. I don't give a rat's a[s]ss about that stuff. I hate that most of the conservative Catholics I know seem to think that global warming denial and THE Catholic position, otherwise you're a liberal, and I believe magazines like [i]First Things[/i] contribute to this impression. Is it deliberate? I don't know. I don't care. I was just venting.[/quote]
Seems like you just hate Catholics disagreeing with you.

Most liberal Catholics seem to think that support for the global warming hysteria and for any and all dubious government programs proposed in the name of "fighting global warming" is THE Catholic position. Note how many liberal Catholics tout "the environment" as a "life issue" morally on par with abortion and euthanasia, and state or imply that not supporting the political environmentalist agenda (such as "cap-and-trade," etc.) is morally equivalent to voting pro-abortion. (this is, imo, usually a thinly disguised justification for supporting liberal pro-abortion candidates.)

Since, by your own admission, you don't read magazines like [i]First Things[/i], perhaps it's better that you don't pass judgment on them.

While you may not give a rat's a[s]ss about economic issues and the free market, some of us do, and believe that many environmentalist policies will be economically disastrous.

I have yet to see a convincing case that policies such as the Kyoto protocol, cap-and-trade, or bans on oil drilling, will have any effect on the environment which will justify their considerable economic costs. Even scientists convinced of the reality of man-made global warming say the actual effects of such policies on the climate will be close to nothing. The economic costs, on the other hand, are very real.

[quote]Whatever. I'll rip you a new one some time if you make me pist. Fair?[/quote]
This issue will only be resolved by a no-holds-barred cage fight.

Bring it on, space hippie.

[quote]The main point of that link-heavy post was to provide a collection of resources for people actually interesting in learning about climate science and not just learning talking points for "debunking" global warming. Because of scientific illiteracy many people are preyed upon by peddlers of misinformation. I'm pist about this.

I also added this snide remark:

"If you are unfamiliar with these journals, or unable to follow their contents, you really don't know anything about climate science. Sorry. You're still free to talk about of course, but please, have a little respect for those who have acquired the education and are doing the research."

I stand by this. I'm sick and tired of randos presuming to "critique" and "refute" a scientific consensus with a few canned factoids. This isn't directed at you, so no need to get pist, but this thread is full of it.[/quote]
Your face is full of it.

You don't have to agree with how environmental issues are dealt with to agree that there is a problem, i think that is more of the issue. It seems a lot of people here equate the scientific theory with the political solutions offered, and thus reject both. It's a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1305568409' post='2242366']
Seems like you just hate Catholics disagreeing with you.

Most liberal Catholics seem to think that support for the global warming hysteria and for any and all dubious government programs proposed in the name of "fighting global warming" is THE Catholic position. Note how many liberal Catholics tout "the environment" as a "life issue" morally on par with abortion and euthanasia, and state or imply that not supporting the political environmentalist agenda (such as "cap-and-trade," etc.) is morally equivalent to voting pro-abortion. (this is, imo, usually a thinly disguised justification for supporting liberal pro-abortion candidates.)

Since, by your own admission, you don't read magazines like [i]First Things[/i], perhaps it's better that you don't pass judgment on them.

While you may not give a rat's a[s]ss about economic issues and the free market, some of us do, and believe that many environmentalist policies will be economically disastrous.

I have yet to see a convincing case that policies such as the Kyoto protocol, cap-and-trade, or bans on oil drilling, will have any effect on the environment which will justify their considerable economic costs. Even scientists convinced of the reality of man-made global warming say the actual effects of such policies on the climate will be close to nothing. The economic costs, on the other hand, are very real.

This issue will only be resolved by a no-holds-barred cage fight.

Bring it on, space hippie.

Your face is full of it.
[/quote]
That's too bad. Post something remotely relevant and substantive and I'll grace you with a response.

P.S. This thread is about the assertion that global warming is a hoax; that's what I've been talking about.

edit: for P.S.

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

Winchester

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1305575911' post='2242458']
That's too bad. Post something remotely relevant and substantive and I'll grace you with a response.

P.S. This thread is about the assertion that global warming is a hoax; that's what I've been talking about.

edit: for P.S.
[/quote]
Your face is remotely.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1305575992' post='2242459']
Your face is remotely.
[/quote]
I wish you knew how hurtful your words can be...

Groo the Wanderer

[img]http://www.lolsaints.com/sites/lolsaints.com/files/imagecache/main-saint-image/saint-story-images/santa.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1305576136' post='2242463']
I wish you knew how hurtful your words can be...
[/quote]
They especially sting when coming from as attractive a woman as Winchester.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1305589015' post='2242557']
They especially sting when coming from as attractive a woman as Winchester.
[/quote]
Dude, refresh and checkout my new avatar. You've converted me. :clapping:

Groo the Wanderer

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tpMcww_5qlA/TUiLpp3j_TI/AAAAAAAACEo/rxXShmA3zmA/s1600/4129122989_547ff198b0.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1305591647' post='2242581']
Dude, refresh and checkout my new avatar. You've converted me. :clapping:
[/quote]
amesome!

This oughtta confuse the hell out of everybody.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='ironmonk' timestamp='1138675407' post='870478']
There is no such thing as "global warming" in the sense that it will send us into an ice age or just keep getting hotter.

Why do I say this? Because when we look back in history we see that the earth's temperature cycles vary from 100 to 250 years. Much longer than any of us will live. The earth cools and warms in cycles. We are living in a warming phase and it will start to cool back down within the next ten years, possibly five years.

The world is so many millions of years old, one volcano puts out more pollutants than we do in 10,000 years... more CFC's and more "green house gases" than we could ever do. 30 volcanoes erupt every year. So, for humans to do as much "damage" as one year of "damage" that volcanoes do it will take us 300,000 years... Now, what we do is a drop in the bucket when looking at the big picture.

What happens in our atmosphere to the bad gases? When the sun's UV rays hit oxygen they create ozone which is a bond between 3 oxygen atoms. Ozone is highly reactive and seeks out various gases, reacts with them, and turns them into somthing harmless - it's also a great way to kill germs. That is why if you put a UV light near the litter box it will help destroy foul odors. It is also why many safety glasses cabinets in chemistry classes have uv lights in them.

It's all a cycle.

Just look at the temperatures throughout history... grab a farmers almanac.

The media are a bunch of chicken littles and are very selective in what they show you. The "Sky is falling" gets more ratings than "We have nothing to worry about.".

As Public Enemy said "Don't believe the hype".

God Bless,
ironmonk
[url="http://www.CatholicSwag.com"]http://www.CatholicSwag.com[/url] <- Media zombie free
[/quote]

I like everything that you have said, but in that it can't hurt to be more ecologicaly sound, hoax or not we need to be better stewards of the earth we are starting to awakin to this fact, hoax or not. Aye vatican search blessed john paul the seconds opinion on it, i saw a homily of his on ecological conversion too.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Don't believe the global warming, Hoax or not? Vatican search ecological,ecology,enivironment,stewardship... any of these words, even if global warming is mis-interpreted(hoax is intentional) than listen/read to john paul the seconds homily on ecological conversion, and any how i only need to of read that, you all may have to search the entire collection of the vatican on these matters to believe, no?
God Bless
NAUGHTY NAUGHTY SLOTHFUL GAS GLUTTONS :sad: :amen:
Why you not walk to your local shops? Why you not catch a bus to the city and a taxi home?Why you not car pool? Why you not commit a saving spree for a petrol/eletric car? Why you not have water tanks on your garages/sheds collecting rain to water your gardens? Why you not get solar panels that work in cloud cover too on your roof,and sell it to the grid and give the money to the poor or even better purchase them a swag to sleep in at night and a drizabone coat, a beanie and fingerless gloves.(i only say fingerless because possibly many or some homeless smoke tobacco,can't roll your own with proper gloves)? WHY WHY WHY? Sorry this is not a vicious attack just some food for thought and prayer GOD bless you all.