Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='mariology21' date='Feb 13 2006, 10:40 AM']As the Facilitator of Religious Education at my parish I'm with you on this one. I'm finding that my catechists....through no fault of their own really....don't know the faith well so how can I expect them to bring it to our students? I'm trying so hard to catecize the catechists so they can then take it to the students. It's a slow process though.
~Jen
[right][snapback]885733[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Bring your catechists to Phatmass :)

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:30 PM']Bring your catechists to Phatmass :)
[right][snapback]885919[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey!! This is a good idea!!!

Posted

To their credit they did show us the history of the labyrinth, I just wish they had pushed adoration more. The second night when the NET team put on adoration was so much more effective than the labyrinth in my opinion.

Posted

I agree with just about everyone here.

Lately I've been so moved as a youth minister to share those special gifts that we Catholics have been given like adoration, the rosary, the lives of the saints as inspiriation and a means to Christ, and of course the meaning of mass. In fact, I'm centering our upcoming retreat on adoration of the blessed sacrament.

But, I will say this... In my short time as a youth minister I've noticed the wide spectrum of teens out there. There are some who just come to you with open arms, demanding the truth and willing to give their lives to Christ almost immediately. However, there are also those who don't want to be bothered. You know, the kids who come to the program because there friends are there or because it provides them an opportunity to be out on a school night. And that's okay too.

Do all teens have a desire to know the truth... absolutely.
Do all teens need and deserve the life in Christ that the Catholic Church offers.. you bet.

But... we have to be aware of the various spiritual levels that teens are coming from. We should always be working towards the "realness", but with some kids you truly need to earn the right to be heard. Sometimes you need to pull out the "fluff" before you can teach the truth.

Someone made the comment about when teens leave high school. This is constantly on my mind. And I couldn't agree more that WE DON'T want them graduating with a myriad of half-truths and false new-age experiences.

Let's ask God to provide us with the wisdom, the courage, and the authenticity to present Christ and His Church to all teens no matter where their hearts and minds lie.

Posted

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Feb 13 2006, 10:40 AM']Why can't we be good Catholics and teach them about the Rosary?
[right][snapback]885815[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, and I do. Our youth do the rosary, and the stations of the cross, and other "Catholic" devotionals. Those are all important, but they aren't the only ways there are to pray.

I am certainly not leading them into self-empowerment by showing them other prayer styles. I am certainly not "taking God out" because we aren't always in the tabernacle (which we also visit a lot). I am simply helping the youth come to God in many ways.

Call it "new age" covered up if you want, but for our youth group, God is no. 1 no matter how we are praying.

I can't believe sometime when I come in here how people bash anything that isn't "Catholic enough". I read in a Bible study that I am doing something really interesting that I would like to share (Talking about Romans - 14-15):

[quote]"...no one must ever do anything to hurt the conscience of one who is weaker or to put a stumbling block in the way of someone whose beliefs are different. [Paul]'s whole point of view is that we must never do anything which makes it harder for someone else to be a Christian - and that may well mean giviing up something, which is right and safe [i]for us[/i], for the sake of the weaker brother or sister.[/quote]

Posted

Its harder to not suspect new age stuff in the Maine diocese.

Dang, Im always on my guard because they do things like liturgical dance and guided imagery in this freakin' state.

Posted (edited)

liturgical dance? Wow, my diocese hasn't gone that far!

Stuff like this makes me long for the Mass they have on EWTN every day.....
Or LIFETEEN, their excited when it comes to Mass but I haven't heard of them doing liturgical dance

Edited by avemaria40
Posted

[quote name='prose' date='Feb 13 2006, 02:36 PM']Yes, and I do.  Our youth do the rosary, and the stations of the cross, and other "Catholic" devotionals.  Those are all important, but they aren't the only ways there are to pray. 

I am certainly not leading them into self-empowerment by showing them other prayer styles.  I am certainly not "taking God out" because we aren't always in the tabernacle (which we also visit a lot).  I am simply helping the youth come to God in many ways.

Call it "new age" covered up if you want, but for our youth group, God is no. 1 no matter how we are praying.

I can't believe sometime when I come in here how people bash anything that isn't "Catholic enough".  I read in a Bible study that I am doing something really interesting that I would like to share (Talking about Romans - 14-15):
[right][snapback]885975[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm not trying to say ALL new stuff is bad. It's just that many "old" devotional styles have been lost and Luthein is saying that it does feel like God is being taken out of their devotions. it's the same thing at my church where people water down everything. Sometimes other prayer styles work better for people like Labyrinth and Christ centered meditations but she's saying that they're getting the kids to focus on themselves and that's the bad thing. From my personal experience, I'm one of my only friends who knows how to say the Rosary or what the Rosary is. The thing is, people just don't teach it and that's the problem

Posted

oh gosh! where do i start with this topic??
[quote name='avemaria40' date='Feb 13 2006, 09:43 AM']The same happens in my church, it's too much fluff, the preists are good ,but alot of kids say that CCD, all they do is read and answer questions or play stupid games.  It's really sad, because alot of the parents are nominal Catholics who only go to Mass on holidays, for baptisms, First Penance, First Holy Communion, Confirmation, weddings, and funerals.  The kids' only exposure to the Faith is CCD, but they don't learn anything, and as a result, a lot of my friends want nothing to do with church or they like being Catholic but they don't know a heck of a lot about it and when they hear the Methodist church has a cool youth program, they will go because to them, it's still Christian so who cares?  Catholicism is beautiful, exciting, rewarding, and amazing but it's presented as a chore, as a thing you have to do until you get Confirmed and then you're done.  The one thing a lot of kids know about Mass?  They have to go to it.[right][snapback]885738[/snapback][/right][/quote]
you guys have to realize that ym's can only do so much. and precisely because so many parents are nominal Catholics that we have to work twice as hard with those kids as other kids! i have had many people say that i teach fluff because i make the topic titles for youth group nights sound interesting and fun. do i actually teach fluff? no. but you have to realize that they are not all going to be gung-ho about theology right off the bat. do i make youth group interesting and fun and Catholic? umm, yeah. do i bash it over their head? umm, no.


[quote name='prose' date='Feb 13 2006, 10:24 AM']I like the labyrinth thing. 

I think it is important to demonstrate to youth many different ways to pray.  Some people take to some styles better than others.  I can't stand some forms of prayer, but I still show the kids b/c sometimes it is what they are looking for.[right][snapback]885784[/snapback][/right][/quote]
yes, thank you!

[quote name='mariology21' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:20 AM']Or the Stations of the Cross? Or the significance of the Mass? Or the Liturgy of the Hours? Or Adoration? Way too many of the "old" devotions have been "lost" and I for one thing it's incredibly sad. THOSE are what "makes up" our faith and that's what we need to "bring back" to these youth.

~Jen[right][snapback]885895[/snapback][/right][/quote]
yes but many ym's do much or all of that!

[quote name='YMNolan' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:03 PM']I agree with just about everyone here.

Lately I've been so moved as a youth minister to share those special gifts that we Catholics have been given like adoration, the rosary, the lives of the saints as inspiriation and a means to Christ, and of course the meaning of mass.  In fact, I'm centering our upcoming retreat on adoration of the blessed sacrament. 

But, I will say this...  In my short time as a youth minister I've noticed the wide spectrum of teens out there.  There are some who just come to you with open arms, demanding the truth and willing to give their lives to Christ almost immediately.  However, there are also those who don't want to be bothered.  You know, the kids who come to the program because there friends are there or because it provides them an opportunity to be out on a school night.  And that's okay too.

Do all teens have a desire to know the truth... absolutely.
Do all teens need and deserve the life in Christ that the Catholic Church offers.. you bet.

But... we have to be aware of the various spiritual levels that teens are coming from.  We should always be working towards the "realness", but with some kids you truly need to earn the right to be heard.  Sometimes you need to pull out the "fluff" before you can teach the truth. 

Someone made the comment about when teens leave high school.  This is constantly on my mind.  And I couldn't agree more that WE DON'T want them graduating with a myriad of half-truths and false new-age experiences. 

Let's ask God to provide us with the wisdom, the courage, and the authenticity to present Christ and His Church to all teens no matter where their hearts and minds lie.[right][snapback]885950[/snapback][/right][/quote]
i agree, thank you.

[quote name='prose' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:36 PM']Yes, and I do.  Our youth do the rosary, and the stations of the cross, and other "Catholic" devotionals.  Those are all important, but they aren't the only ways there are to pray. 

I am certainly not leading them into self-empowerment by showing them other prayer styles.  I am certainly not "taking God out" because we aren't always in the tabernacle (which we also visit a lot).  I am simply helping the youth come to God in many ways.

Call it "new age" covered up if you want, but for our youth group, God is no. 1 no matter how we are praying.

I can't believe sometime when I come in here how people bash anything that isn't "Catholic enough".  I read in a Bible study that I am doing something really interesting that I would like to share (Talking about Romans - 14-15):[right][snapback]885975[/snapback][/right][/quote]
yes, thank you again!

Posted (edited)

Nicely summarized Lil Red!

And thank you to all the youth ministers out there who are doing their best to reach the diverse needs of kids in their care. :)

Edited by Thumper
Posted

Prose and Lil Red, thanks for the work you do for teens! I never realized how hard a YM has to work and i think it's awesome that you guys are doing such great work with teens :)

Posted

again, speaking as a youth minister for 6 years.

ym's can only do so much. speaking from my own perspective, i worry all the time about the youth i'm teaching: if they're getting it, if they enjoy it, if they practice it in their own personal or community prayer lives, etc. i want to do so much, i have to help the youth aspire higher in their faith life, but i can't set the bar so high they can't reach it. plus you have to deal with parents too ;) :P:

you guys have no idea how hard (also how rewarding) youth ministry can be. please give your local ym the benefit of the doubt.

God bless everyone! :)

ps - it's youth like you guys (i usually have only 1 per year :( ) that really make ministry rewarding!

Posted

prayers for our youth ministers!

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Feb 13 2006, 03:36 PM']again, speaking as a youth minister for 6 years.

ym's can only do so much. speaking from my own perspective, i worry all the time about the youth i'm teaching: if they're getting it, if they enjoy it, if they practice it in their own personal or community prayer lives, etc. i want to do so much, i have to help the youth aspire higher in their faith life, but i can't set the bar so high they can't reach it. plus you have to deal with parents too ;) :P:

you guys have no idea how hard (also how rewarding) youth ministry can be. please give your local ym the benefit of the doubt. God bless everyone! ps - it's youth like you guys (i usually have only 1 per year :( ) that really make ministry rewarding!
[right][snapback]886070[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've been working with the youth here at this parish for the past 3 years and 2 years at my home parish before this and I agree with you about worrying about all those things. When I find myself getting so tense that I feel it's not "worth it" I stop and realize that that's satan getting his nose in. Then I try to remember that we are only supposed to be planting the seeds. God is the master gardner. HE'LL take care of things. I'm simply His instrument.

He trys very hard to keep me humble like that :)

~Jen

Posted

[quote name='mariology21' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:39 PM']I've been working with the youth here at this parish for the past 3 years and 2 years at my home parish before this and I agree with you about worrying about all those things. When I find myself getting so tense that I feel it's not "worth it" I stop and realize that that's satan getting his nose in. Then I try to remember that we are only supposed to be planting the seeds. God is the master gardner. HE'LL take care of things. I'm simply His instrument.

He trys very hard to keep me humble like that  :)

~Jen
[right][snapback]886081[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
oh i agree, i rarely feel that "it's not worth it" - but i do get stressed out from time to time. (like right now, i'm trying to figure out how to fit a ski trip into next month's calendar and i don't think it's gonna happen)

Posted

okay, i'm finding the ym support thread again!

EcceNovaFacioOmni
Posted

My town's parishes think people want tamberines and clapping. They don't.

Posted

I don't feel like I'm being understood on this matter. At all.

Posted

um What is NET becuase my parish is going to have it and we have it a lot but all High Schoolers who are going to be confirmed have to go and I don't even know what it is. Thanks guys!

Posted

[quote name='mariology21' date='Feb 13 2006, 10:20 AM']Or the Stations of the Cross? Or the significance of the Mass? Or the Liturgy of the Hours? Or Adoration? Way too many of the "old" devotions have been "lost" and I for one thing it's incredibly sad. THOSE are what "makes up" our faith and that's what we need to "bring back" to these youth.

~Jen
[right][snapback]885895[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


Jen,

And that is WHY I was so attracted to the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration. We adore Jesus in the spirit of reparative Thanksgiving, for those who relegate those 'old' devotions such as Adoration, Rosary, Stations of the Cross, to the 'old fashioned' file. For those who don't adore Jesus, for those who don't pray, for those who neglect our Lord. For those who wish to harm the Catholic Church by their teachings which are not compatible to the Holy Magesterium.

People do come from different backgrounds, but Truth is Truth. People, teens, hunger for truth. . .they aren't looking for watered down fun activities (one of the reasons I was so miserable in my CCD class, I didn't learn anything!). They are looking for orthodoxy, for fervent love of Jesus Christ, in a way that opens their eyes. They are looking for their hunger to be filled, and they know, if not at the present moment, then soon thereafter, that hunger can only be satiated by Truth. Other 'foods' are passing and not filling.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...