Lil Red Posted February 13, 2006 Posted February 13, 2006 [quote name='Luthien' date='Feb 13 2006, 03:36 PM']I don't feel like I'm being understood on this matter. At all.[right][snapback]886244[/snapback][/right][/quote] i'm sorry i know that you said your diocese has abuses, mine does have many abuses as well. and good things can be abused (like the labyrinth). we kinda got off on a side issue i think sorry about that.
Lil Red Posted February 13, 2006 Posted February 13, 2006 [quote name='prose' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:36 PM']I can't believe sometime when I come in here how people bash anything that isn't "Catholic enough". [right][snapback]885975[/snapback][/right][/quote] yeah, this goes for so many things on all of phatmass.
HisChild Posted February 13, 2006 Posted February 13, 2006 [quote name='Luthien' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:42 AM']Its harder to not suspect new age stuff in the Maine diocese. Dang, Im always on my guard because they do things like liturgical dance and guided imagery in this freakin' state. [right][snapback]885986[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ohhh Yes, I actually was, in the 4th grade, a liturgical dancer. I thought it was cool and of course, since my parish was teaching us to do it, it was ok, right? Wrong. It detracts from worship of God and puts the focus on the people. Scary. I have also gone to a really 'cool' LifeTeen parish where, when you enter, you feel like you are going to a rock concert instead of a Mass. Thankfully, when our bishop was installed here, some of those practices have ceased. May God be praised. Catholic Rock music, well, ROCKS. But not in a Mass.
YMNolan Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 [quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 13 2006, 05:03 PM'] I have also gone to a really 'cool' LifeTeen parish where, when you enter, you feel like you are going to a rock concert instead of a Mass. Thankfully, when our bishop was installed here, some of those practices have ceased. May God be praised. [right][snapback]886269[/snapback][/right] [/quote] This is one of the toughest things to get passed with Life Teen. I've seen both sides of this. It really has to be clear to the music minister(s) that they are [i]leading[/i] prayer, not [i]performing[/i]. However, I will say that there are plenty of LT parishes out there who are doing the right thing since Cardinal Arinze spoke out on the issue. I can't speak for myself because I was never fully enthralled with LT mass. The importance of going to mass was embedded in my head at baptism, I truly believe, so I never needed to be convinced that mass was something not to be missed. But, for some of my peers, I have seen Life Teen mass serve as a great stepping stone for lax Catholics. If centered on Christ, LT mass really does work in bringing in teens who normally would not be there. [b]They key is that we get across to the teens the beauty of the meaning of [i]why[/i] we are there! [/b] This way any mass, as long as it's Catholic, becomes "cool".
toledo_jesus Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 guys, the labyrinth is in all the medieval cathedrals...countless pilgrims throughout history have done exactly what you did on this retreat. Edit to say Lifeteen suuuuucks and we're getting it at my parish.
Keyser Soze Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 I came here expecting this: [img]http://images.movie-gazette.com/albums/L/labyrinth1.jpg[/img]
Luthien Posted February 14, 2006 Author Posted February 14, 2006 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Feb 14 2006, 12:33 PM']guys, the labyrinth is in all the medieval cathedrals...countless pilgrims throughout history have done exactly what you did on this retreat. Edit to say Lifeteen suuuuucks and we're getting it at my parish. [right][snapback]887204[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Like I said, I was on guard because of how "progressive" my diocese is in some places.
Lil Red Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 which is right because when you know what your diocese is like, you should discern properly.
toledo_jesus Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 [quote name='Keyser Soze' date='Feb 14 2006, 03:10 PM']I came here expecting this: [right][snapback]887246[/snapback][/right] [/quote] you remind me of the babe.
Keyser Soze Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 [quote name='Lil Red' date='Feb 14 2006, 05:03 PM']what babe? [right][snapback]887463[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yeah, I don't know either.
Colleen Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 [quote name='Lil Red' date='Feb 14 2006, 05:33 PM']the babe with the power [right][snapback]887500[/snapback][/right] [/quote] What power?
HisChild Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Feb 14 2006, 11:33 AM']guys, the labyrinth is in all the medieval cathedrals...countless pilgrims throughout history have done exactly what you did on this retreat. Edit to say Lifeteen suuuuucks and we're getting it at my parish. [right][snapback]887204[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Life Teen was founded at the parish I used to attend. So, I've seen it go international over the years. In the end it became more about the numbers of teens attending than about the Mass, IMO. However, when Bishop Olmsted was installed in our diocese and saw the things going on in the LT parishes, many of the 'typical' LT practices were ceased. I don't know what it's like in your parishes, but many things are gone in ours.
prose Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 [quote name='Colleen' date='Feb 14 2006, 05:44 PM']What power? [right][snapback]887540[/snapback][/right] [/quote] The power of voodoo... Who do?
mariology21 Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 [quote name='prose' date='Feb 14 2006, 10:12 PM']The power of voodoo... Who do? [right][snapback]887683[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You do!!
the_rev Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 The labyrinthe is midevil not new age! lol.... Anyways, I don't like it. I walked one once at the Norbertine Abbey. I prayed my daily rosary. I felt that it was pointless. Anyways, all about the adoration! In Christ, Ed
toledo_jesus Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 [quote name='mariology21' date='Feb 14 2006, 10:14 PM']You do!! [right][snapback]887688[/snapback][/right] [/quote] do what?
Tony Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 [quote name='the_rev' date='Feb 14 2006, 09:40 PM']The labyrinthe is midevil not new age! lol.... Anyways, I don't like it. I walked one once at the Norbertine Abbey. I prayed my daily rosary. I felt that it was pointless. Anyways, all about the adoration! In Christ, Ed [right][snapback]887748[/snapback][/right] [/quote] sounds like they just wanted to add a game to prayer then? yeah that does seem pointless.
Mateo el Feo Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 Just another point of view... I would agree with those who are skeptical of the modern Labyrinth. The fact that some old European had labyrinths doesn't mean that the modern practice has anything to do with the ancient labyrinths function. Here's an article that takes this position: [url="http://touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=13-07-046-r"]Maze Craze by Mark Tooley (link)[/url] According to the article, the author even questions whether people bothered to "walk" the labyrinth. Commenting on the statement of Lauren Artress (a labyrinth proponent), the author writes: [quote]Artress admits there are “no known records of anyone walking the labyrinth” at these [medieval] churches, and she acknowledges that she knows of “no Christian writers or artists who directly refer to the labyrinth as a spiritual tool” in early or medieval history.[/quote] Aside from this article's comments, my suspicions about the modern use of labyrinths arose when I noticed that the places (e.g. retreat houses) that offer labyrinth experiences have an abundance of the other New Age activities. For example, retreat schedules with an abundance of Yoga classes, Enneagram workshops, Tai Chi, while there is precious little--if any--classes/retreats with topics that would touch on our Catholic spiritual heritage.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now