An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Three Days of Darkness

Tony

6-7 years ago, this Catholic lady, (A Secular Carmelite at that) was telling me about how there would be "Three days of darkness" where everyone would be in their home, praying 24/7 and not being allowed to look outside or something... because demons and things would be out and about, that God doesn't want us to see... had anyone heard of this? it sounds rather sketchy to me

this took place in an instant messenger online too.

edited to clarify myself a bit more

Edited by Tony

[quote name='Tony' date='Feb 20 2006, 07:29 PM']6-7 years ago, this lady was telling me about how there would be "Three days of darkness" where everyone would be in their home, praying 24/7 and not being allowed to look outside or something... because demons and things would be out and about, that God doesn't want us t osee...  had anyone heard of this? it sounds  rather sketchy to me.
[right][snapback]893138[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well parts of how she described it are wrong, but yes, beati and saints have talked about it, as well as other credible visionaries and mystics.

KnightofChrist

Three days of darkness and the great chastisement.

Three days the sun shall rise upwards on the heads of the combatants without being seen through the clouds of smokeProphecy of Mayence

He foretold "the destruction of impenitent persecutors of the Church during the three days darkness. He who outlives the darkness and fear of the three days _ it will seem to him as if he were alone on earth because of the fact that the world will be covered everywhere with carcasses." Blessed Caspar del Bufalo (d. 1847)

There shall come over all the earth an intense darkness lasting three days and three nights. Nothing will be visible and the earth will be laden with pestilence, which will claim principally but not exclusively the enemies of religion. During this darkness artificial light will be impossible. Only blessed candles can be lighted and will afford illumination. He who out of curiosity opens his window to look out or leaves his house will fall dead on the spot. During these three days the people should remain in their homes, pray the Rosary and beg God for mercy.

On this terrible occasion so many of these wicked men, enemies of His Church, and of God, shall be killed by this divine scourge, that their corpses round Rome will be as numerous as the fish, which a recent inundation of the Tiber had carries into the city. All the enemies of the Church, secret as well as known, will perish over the earth during that universal darkness, with the exception of a few, whom God will soon convert. The air shall be infected by demons, who will appear under all sorts of visible forms. St. Anna Maria Taigi (d. 1837, recently canonized by Pope John Paul II)

The comet by its tremendous pressure, will force much out of the ocean and flood many countries, causing much want and many plagues. All the seacoast cities will be fearful and many of them will be destroyed by tidal waves, and most living creatures will be killed and even those who escape will die from a horrible disease. For in none of those cities does a person live according to thelaws of God. St. Hildegard (d. 1179)

KnightofChrist

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 20 2006, 10:52 PM']where do I get one of these "blessed candles?"  Sounds like something I should carry around in my purse.
[right][snapback]893496[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Take a candle to a preist and have him bless it, silly.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 21 2006, 12:52 AM']where do I get one of these "blessed candles?"  Sounds like something I should carry around in my purse.
[right][snapback]893496[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've heard that everyone outside during the 3 days will be killed instantly...
they're just normal blessed candles likes those that were distributed a few weeks ago.

I know a company produces candles that burn for 72 hours called "Three Days of Darkness Candles".

KnightofChrist

[quote name='jezic' date='Feb 21 2006, 11:44 AM']that doesn't quite sound like the God of the New Testament, but somethign that is from the OT.

has the Church said anything about it?
[right][snapback]893782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The God of the old testament is the God of the new. You need to read your new testament fully, try The Apocalypse of St. John the Apostle. It is Jesus Christ HImself that WILL open the seven seals that allow the seven angels to pour on the earth the seven bowls (also called seven vials) of the wrath of God.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='jezic' date='Feb 21 2006, 12:15 PM']ahh i see....

doesn't something like this happen in the infamous "Left Behind" series?
[right][snapback]893806[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I would pray we all give Saints of Holy Mother Church alot more respect than comparing them to the people who wrote the anti-catholic Left Behind books.

I had heard that this was revealed through the supposed visions of the Blessed Mother in Garabandal. I personally don't get the feeling that Garabandal is legit, and I don't think the church has approved it (if anyone knows any other info, feel free to share.)

I was told that there would be 3 days of darkness in which the Lord would reveal the state of our souls to us internally, and we would be horrified at our sinfulness. People would die and others would convert. I don't know about all this...sounds strange. I'm not sold...

Did someone say the saints talked about it? Who? When? I'm curious.

[quote name='jezic' date='Feb 21 2006, 01:44 PM']that doesn't quite sound like the God of the New Testament, but somethign that is from the OT.

has the Church said anything about it?
[right][snapback]893782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

God is Just... OT vs NT God? Is there more than one God?! No. This is nonsense brought about by liberal Catholics who do not know God at all. It is a pet peeve of mine when I hear people refer to God in this manner. This sounds perfectly in line with everything in the NT.

Just because it's private revelation does not mean it's not true. Fatima was private revelation.

It could happen. Blowing it off would be a mistake. Taking it with a grain of salt would be wise. Beleiving it totally without doubt would be a mistake. Thinking it possible would be wise.

Read Revelations a few times. Take notes. Meditate on it.

God Bless,
ironmonk