An Old School Catholic Message Board

telling little kids

bx_racer

I would first deffinatlty pray about it--> then if you end up being the one talking to him (you should try and get ur dad or parents to talk to him) make sure you tell him how it leads to a perverted view of women and of sex, and even a rapist aditude- that God's law against it is to protect him- and give him freedom rather that take away his freedom. Use the gaurd rail on the side of the road analogy. I'll be praying.

Church Punk

Ultimately what it comes down to is that although masturbation is not sex and actually does not come close to what sex has to offer. During intercourse there is the giving between a man and a woman mutually.

With masturbation it is self gratification and satisfaction. That it is a selfish and wasteful act. For the sole purpose of bringing temporal pleasure ones self. Under this light perhaps masturbation could be viewed as a greater sin than pre-marital sex. By this I mean that through pre marital sex we remove God from the equation (which is the gravest of sins) but still maintain the bond between man and woman, a life giving act, and mutual giving and recieving (i am in no way condoning pre-marital sex, just speculating under one circumstance). With masturbation we remove God and our created counter parts (either male or female) and focus entirely on ones self, thus it is purly selfish.

The human body has natural ways to control it self with out external force and stimulation. God made us that way. However for most people its easier said than done.

Edited by Church Punk

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 13 2006, 07:44 PM']Well, if he's around ten, he'll be in sex ed, and they tell them it's a normal thing.

The public school system is corrupt... but that's another story.

Pray and just sit down and talk to him... and continue to pray for him. Know that you are planting seeds... pray that the Lord waters them. If someone uses the excuse that everyone does it, so it can't be that bad, point out that a lot of people lie, and that does not make it right.

It is actually bad for prostate and testicles also. The latest study states that it can lead to prostate cancer later in life. The natural release through nocturnal emissions is the only healthy outlet outside of a sacramental marriage.

You could take the angle that God teaches us everything for a reason... i.e. if there was no premarital sex, there would be no std's or hiv.

Bad things can happen to us when we break God's laws. The laws are here to protect us from the harm we can cause ourselves.

You don't have to tell him that you caught him, just talk to him about it. He might be more comfortable talking to you rather than your parents.

Good luck and God Bless,
ironmonk
[right][snapback]910865[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hey, thanks guys for replying. and yeah, i used to do it to but then i started finding out it was wrong like at this church sex ed and stuff. if my dad had told me back then id be pretty embarrased. but hey it would have been for the best. however, my bro is more of a shyer person so i dunno ive been thinking of telling him myself, but yeah, its kinda tough. oh hes ten by the way but he goes to a Catholic school, so they dont condone it there, if theyve even mentioned it.

thessalonian

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:25 PM']Your body can't tell the difference between masturbation and sex. They are the same except in sex you'll be in contact with foreign substances and possible STDs.
[right][snapback]911761[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Your soul knows the difference. We are not rabbits. The spiritual disease is worse than the physical ones. And yes I know premaritial sex has effects on the soul also. They would be different though. Pre maritial sex disorders the social abilities of a person, making them look toward another as somethone to use. Masturbation disorders toward solitude and loneliness. It is use of self in a distordered manner.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Mar 15 2006, 02:32 PM']hey, thanks guys for replying. and yeah, i used to do it to but then i started finding out it was wrong like at this church sex ed and stuff. if my dad had told me back then id be pretty embarrased. but hey it would have been for the best. however, my bro is more of a shyer person so i dunno ive been thinking of telling him myself, but yeah, its kinda tough. oh hes ten by the way but he goes to a Catholic school, so they dont condone it there, if theyve even mentioned it.
[right][snapback]912688[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

10 :shock:

:idontknow:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Mar 15 2006, 04:32 PM']oh hes ten by the way but he goes to a Catholic school, so they dont condone it there, if theyve even mentioned it.
[right][snapback]912688[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually, a lot of Catholic schools teach that it's okay and a lot of priests teach likewise, mostly either because they reject the Church's teaching themselves (more common with lay teachers) or because they're afraid of offending someone and want to be "nice" (more common with the priests).

Anastasia13

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Mar 15 2006, 01:42 PM']Your soul knows the difference.  We are not rabbits.  The spiritual disease is worse than the physical ones.  And yes I know premaritial sex has effects on the soul also.  They would be different though.  Pre maritial sex disorders the social abilities of a person, making them look toward another as somethone to use.  Masturbation disorders toward solitude and loneliness.  It is use of self in a distordered manner.
[right][snapback]912695[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well said.

Charms717RM1

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 15 2006, 06:31 PM']Actually, a lot of Catholic schools teach that it's okay and a lot of priests teach likewise, mostly either because they reject the Church's teaching themselves (more common with lay teachers) or because they're afraid of offending someone and want to be "nice" (more common with the priests).
[right][snapback]912861[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hehehe, my priest was ordained 47 years ago and doesn't give a rat's-who-know-what about offending people. He gave a 6th Commandment homily once that went so far as to break down the word masturbation into its Latin roots. Afterwards i was talking to some younger guys (probably around age 12 or 13) who were saying that they learned more during that 15-minute homily than they ever did in sex-ed or from their parents. :banana:

Brother Adam

[quote name='Charms717RM1' date='Mar 15 2006, 10:21 PM']Hehehe, my priest was ordained 47 years ago and doesn't give a rat's-who-know-what about offending people.  He gave a 6th Commandment homily once that went so far as to break down the word masturbation into its Latin roots.  Afterwards i was talking to some younger guys (probably around age 12 or 13) who were saying that they learned more during that 15-minute homily than they ever did in sex-ed or from their parents.  :banana:
[right][snapback]913024[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sha, cool! Intervention is the key. Catch them before they end up experimenting and addicted.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Charms717RM1' date='Mar 15 2006, 11:21 PM']Hehehe, my priest was ordained 47 years ago and doesn't give a rat's-who-know-what about offending people.  He gave a 6th Commandment homily once that went so far as to break down the word masturbation into its Latin roots.  Afterwards i was talking to some younger guys (probably around age 12 or 13) who were saying that they learned more during that 15-minute homily than they ever did in sex-ed or from their parents.  :banana:
[right][snapback]913024[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol: That's great...St. John Vianney was known to be extremely explicit from the pulpit, too, so that there could be no doubt about what he meant.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]Just to add my 2 cents.....

One of my pet hates is the problem with alot of people today the "If it feels good - do it" mentality.

Using that kind of logic, I can say "I feel like taking your money".... etc...
It may feel good to someone if theres alot of cash in it! ..... 

Not everything that feels good can be right......

Rob[/quote]

You (not you you, but a general you) use the analogy that promoters of masturbation must be if it feels good do it. That's enough of a generalization and stereotyple that if I were to reply in kind, I would say demoters of masturbation are those that say if it feels good, it's bad. Typical rhetoric that the CC doesn't deserve I admit, but yes. Let me explain more.

Goofing off instead of studying is bad. You don't prove your case by pointing out the extreme in someone else and saying the person who wants to take a break once in awhile (all of us) issomeone who says if it feels good do it.

Moreover, some people, if God made us to be able know ourselves, are spiritual enough to know, to use an argument that is different than what you'd characterize promasturbationists with, that some excess is also bad in masturbation. Excess in anything is bad. Addiction to anything is bad. You have points in saying those spiritual dimensions. To neglect spiritual elements and unity with others in sex is bad.

Think about how you can take pleasure smoking tobacco legitimately in the CC, which offers absolutely no nutritional affects. Maybe tobacco isn't really taught as infallible okay but ordinarily magistrierish okay I really don't know. I might say candy. You might incidentally say that these aren't spiritual, but I sure think of eating as spiritual. It's spiritual and it's selfish. But those you might argue weren't designed to be unitive. hhmm..
I guess I'll argue that there's gotta be something that you can take spiritual pleasure from from someone else that doesn't appear natural. Maybe not and I'm just arguing from abstraction.

Even if I found an analogy that I thought fit though, I'd have to know God to know truth to know the spirituality to know if the analogy fits. That almost takes faith to know or perhaps we're too fallible and we can't really know ourselves completely or by the time we figured it all out, we'd be dead wondering why we didn't know sooner. Maybe the CC is God's solution.

I honestly am not sure on that spiritual element. But definitely to characterize someone who is promasterbation as if it feels good do it, well again with my rant.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote]once that went so far as to break down the word masturbation into its Latin roots[/quote]I prefer the old way of referring to it to make a point "self-abuse."

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:25 PM']Your body can't tell the difference between masturbation and sex. They are the same except in sex you'll be in contact with foreign substances and possible STDs.
[right][snapback]911761[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, I read somewhere that your body can tell the difference... it was something to the effect of releasing about 1/5th the number of endorphins after masturbation than sex.

Anyway, even if your body didn't know the difference, your mind sure as heck does.