An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant "fathers"

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

I like to always keep a couple of Protestant texts on my shelves to help in ecumenical dialogue. What texts do you consider the most important on the Protestant side of the fence, such as Calvin's Institutes of a Christian Religion?

The preacher at the Baptist church I went to for a while had a bunch of sermons written by a famous theologian whose name I cannot recall right now ... it started with an "S" ...

Jonathan Edwards is another good one.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:40 PM']The preacher at the Baptist church I went to for a while had a bunch of sermons written by a famous theologian whose name I cannot recall right now ... it started with an "S" ...
[right][snapback]923771[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Guessing...Spurgeon?

Edited by Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:40 PM']The preacher at the Baptist church I went to for a while had a bunch of sermons written by a famous theologian whose name I cannot recall right now ... it started with an "S" ...
[right][snapback]923771[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Spurgeon. Charles Spurgeon.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:42 PM']Didnt Luther write his own "catechism?"
[right][snapback]923772[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah. I have his large and small catechisms. I remember reading them and ripping right through how much of it was unbiblical when I was a Lutheran. It sent my pastor into a panic .Of course then I became a Baptist. lol.

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:43 PM']Guessing...Spurgeon?
[right][snapback]923773[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, that's the one. I totally had a brain fluffy air extraction.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:47 PM']You could always go with bishop Sponge. :hehe:
[right][snapback]923782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
My hero. The Episcopal Church is so lucky. They can keep him, though. :lol_roll: :lol_roll:

Neal4Christ

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:47 AM']You could always go with bishop Sponge. :hehe:
[/quote]

:shock:

I hear Moody's work was pretty influential in America. Also some European fellow... Can't remember his name... Scandanavian guy, I believe... :idontknow:
[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:47 PM']You could always go with bishop Sponge. :hehe:
[/quote]
Ick. :thumbdown: Why does that guy even bother being the bishop for a Savior he clearly doesn't even believe in?

Brother Adam

I'm thinking more foundational than influential. primary texts like luther's catechism and Calvin's institutes.

NONE!!!! you shouldn't need them, when you have the fullness of Truth in the Catechism... and other books that are in line in Church teaching

Brother Adam

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Mar 27 2006, 02:21 PM']NONE!!!! you shouldn't need them, when you have the fullness of Truth in the Catechism... and other books that are in line in Church teaching
[right][snapback]923901[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm sorry you don't understand ecumenism.