An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are you supported in your vocation...

Laurentina1975

lauren,
i cant so relate right now. My dad is supportive...for once in his life. My mom keeps asking me questions thinking its going to change my mind. My Sister Amanda doesnt even want to go to my enterence, my sister faith wants every single thing i have, and my little 5 yr old Sister is supportive but i know it will be the hardest for her since we are close!!!!

But the shocking thing was....my mom told me today that she would help me pay for my doctor visits!!!!! that so surprised me!!!! WOW!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Mar 27 2006, 08:20 PM']lauren,
i cant so relate right now. My dad is supportive...for once in his life. My mom keeps asking me questions thinking its going to change my mind. My Sister Amanda doesnt even want to go to my enterence, my sister faith wants every single thing i have, and my little 5 yr old Sister is supportive but i know it will be the hardest for her since we are close!!!!

But the shocking thing was....my mom told me today that she would help me pay for my doctor visits!!!!! that so surprised me!!!! WOW!!!!
[right][snapback]924396[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yea, my family was all over me like white on rice. . .asking for everything I owned. LOL It's all good, it was either going to them or charity. . .

Laurentina1975

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 27 2006, 08:28 PM']There are people in life that will be unsupportive no matter what you do,
and people who will support you in [color=red]whatever[/color] you do.
Take you pick who you want in your life.
[right][snapback]924315[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's not like I am going to disregard [color=red]my family [/color]or remove them in my life for not supporting me in the way I need to be supported. Family will always be my family, whether or not they support me or not. What I am asking is if there are others who can share their stories with me that have had similar struggles. My family is very important to me,and when it comes to "picking who I want in my life", I will always want my family in my life.

Thanks for all your support and stories. I really appreciate it.

My family don't understand that I am so serious about religious life. Dad thinks its funny that I want to be a nun, and Mum thinks I can be a nun in like 20-40 years time. (when I want to up and leave NOW! hehe) So, in a way I have their support, but not yet. *shrugs* but they're in Gods Hands.

One of my brothers thinks I'm loony for wanting to "lock myself up for the rest of my life." The other two don't know. My youngest brother is four, so he probably wouldn't understand anyway.

Edited by memtherose

Laurentina1975

Yeah, I guess you don't get everyones 100% support.
Perhaps I should not worry about my brother. Perhaps he will see the light. I will continue to pray for him. :disguise:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Mar 27 2006, 09:59 PM']It's not like I am going to disregard [color=red]my family [/color]or remove them in my life for not supporting me in the way I need to be supported.  Family will always be my family, whether or not they support me or not.  What I am asking is if there are others who can share their stories with me that have had similar struggles.  My family is very important to me,and when it comes to "picking who I want in my life", I will always want my family in my life.

Thanks for all your support and stories.  I really appreciate it.
[right][snapback]924468[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes they are your family and you want them in your life. But my point is some of them will support you no matter what you do, and some will not and you cannot base your decisions on their opinion. A happy religious is like an neverending spring of fresh water, directly connected to the Source, everyone is drawn to it. :) If you are happy in the life you choose, whatever it is, then they will all eventually support you because love and happiness are contagious.
This is not just an issue for religious, but for all young adults as they mature and seperate from their family of origin to whatever family they create or join themselves.

I think, for the most part, family, parents especially, have in their minds what they believe is the 'best road' for their child. And if a child deviates, in any way, that creates grief in the parent's eyes. There have been many things in my life. . .many things I've done that weren't sinful or wrong, but just not what my parents would have chosen for me. . .and I saw that in their behavior. I think it's natural. . .not necessarily right, but it happens.

Laurentina1975

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 27 2006, 08:28 PM']There are people in life that will be unsupportive no matter what you do,
and people who will support you in [color=red]whatever[/color] you do.
Take you pick who you want in your life.
[right][snapback]924315[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:58 PM']Yes they are your family and you want them in your life. But my point is some of them will support you no matter what you do, and some will not and you cannot base your decisions on their opinion.  A happy religious is like an neverending spring of fresh water, directly connected to the Source, everyone is drawn to it.  :) If you are happy in the life you choose, whatever it is, then they will all eventually support you because love and happiness are contagious.
This is not just an issue for religious, but for all young adults as they mature and seperate from their family of origin to whatever family they create or join themselves.
[right][snapback]924605[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Your previous remark stated otherwise, or at least I took it that way. :sadder:

Again, I am asking for people to share their stories, I understand that things change as people mature and leave the nest, but family is family. My family is pretty tight-knit. My family is VERY important to me. I come from a very Italian family. They are always in my business.

Hi Lauren,

As I think I've said elsewhere, my family is definately not supportive of me. My brother is a little more than my parents in that he isn't openly opposed to it. But it's particularly hard because while I was discerning before I told them, I realized how much more I loved them and apreciated them that I had before. And now to see them in a lot of pain over it--well it just really takes the cake, so to speak.

Despite the hurt and pain, I know that there really is no way for me not to be a religious. I think that I really already gave my heart to Jesus in the moment when I knew for sure that he was calling me. Also, there is a deeper inner peace to the decision to be a religious that even my parents can't shake off and it's that peace that constantly assures me that it is indeed God's will that I'm following. It's the peace that didn't exist, for example, when one vd urged me to look at entering NOW, because I think the time isn't right for me to enter now.

I would just pray for your family and know that, in the end, if you're doing God's will, He will provide and take care of your family. For me, I've developed a strong devotion to Mamma Mary and St. Joseph as my spiritual parents since my parents on earth are not supportive and that devotion has been of great comfort.

Let's pray for each other, ok?

That was a beautful story, that, in spite of lack of support, you know that you are called to be His bride, and you won't back away from that. God bless you as you continue your journey.

To be totally honest....no.

My mother's side of the family (including my mother) is ferociously Protestant and violently anti-catholic. When I converted to the Church they totally lost it...my mother seems to have calmed down, however I haven’t heard from the rest in quite a while.

My fathers side doesn't speak to one another and I haven’t seen them in 10 years, my father is a agnostic/atheist and hates the Catholic Church...and he vocalises it whether I'm there or not.

Now to make things even more difficult…I told them I was going to apply for the seminary when I finish my degree…lets just say they were less than enthusiastic.

God bless you! I am sorry to hear of your family troubles. You wil be in my prayers. I am gathering a book of PMers on here who are discerning religious life. If you'd like, PM me your name and when you say seminary, if you mean diocesan priest, when you hope to enter, etc. and I will enter that in my book. Then, when I have entered the PCPA next month, I will be praying for you in front of the Blessed Sacrament each day.

Pax Christi,
Denise

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Mar 27 2006, 04:56 PM']So I was wondering what everyones story is as far as support in your religious vocation (thoughts of, whatever) from parents, siblings and relatives?

Half my family is supportive and there are a few that are very unsupportive and have strayed from the faith.  This gravely bothers me and causes me much worry. 

I am starting to think that if I am called to religious life, it's going to be a very hard road because of this.  Sometimes I wonder if I should just nix the whole though of religious life based on this issue.  BUT, for some reason the thoughts won't go away, no matter how much I sometimes pray that they will.

I just wish that everyone would be on board and supportive.  However, who said life was a bowl of cherries right?

*sigh*

:(
[right][snapback]924160[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Lauren,

For what it's worth, I and your fellow PM'rs support you 100%. I am sorry your family, especially your parents are not as supportive as you need them to be. I know you know that that has no bearing on your vocation because that is between you and Jesus. But I know it still hurts. I can only imagine the suffering you expierence with this, as if discerning a vocation wasn't hard enough. However, be patient with them. It is hard for us parents to give up our children (as we see it) especially if we don't understand what it really is. (and it takes a pot full of grace to understand this whole idea of a vocation) Prayer is the only answer for them and for you. God bless you, future bride of Christ.

Mr. Ray

Laurentina1975

[quote name='magnificat' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:19 AM']Hi Lauren,

As I think I've said elsewhere, my family is definately not supportive of me.  My brother is a little more than my parents in that he isn't openly opposed to it.  But it's particularly hard because while I was discerning before I told them, I realized how much more I loved them and apreciated them that I had before.  And now to see them in a lot of pain over it--well it just really takes the cake, so to speak.

Despite the hurt and pain, I know that there really is no way for me not to be a religious.  I think that I really already gave my heart to Jesus in the moment when I knew for sure that he was calling me.  Also, there is a deeper inner peace to the decision to be a religious that even my parents can't shake off and it's that peace that constantly assures me that it is indeed God's will that I'm following.  It's the peace that didn't exist, for example, when one vd urged me to look at entering NOW, because I think the time isn't right for me to enter now.

I would just pray for your family and know that, in the end, if you're doing God's will, He will provide and take care of your family.  For me, I've developed a strong devotion to Mamma Mary and St. Joseph as my spiritual parents since my parents on earth are not supportive and that devotion has been of great comfort.

Let's pray for each other, ok?
[right][snapback]924840[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Magnificant, you've always been the greatest, HUGS!

:flowers: