An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling the Carmelites

be_thou_my_vision

be_thou_my_vision

VERY balanced. I think I am going back to see them later this summer, for an overnight visit.
I have absolutely no idea what God is calling me to. I don't think I have ever been confused.
My options that I see right now are:
Carmel of Terre Haute
Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration
Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist (I can't stop thinking about them.)
Marriage
Pray for me, things are so confusing!

passionheart

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='998877' date='Jun 6 2006, 07:58 PM']
VERY balanced. I think I am going back to see them later this summer, for an overnight visit.
I have absolutely no idea what God is calling me to. I don't think I have ever been confused.
My options that I see right now are:
Carmel of Terre Haute
Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration
Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist (I can't stop thinking about them.)
Marriage
Pray for me, things are so confusing!
[/quote]

O.... the joy of Discernment!!!!!! :saint:

Take slow,listen and be at peace!!!

be_thou_my_vision

No... random order because I have no idea what God wants... I will be happy with whatever he wants.
(I would rather be married or an active sister... the cloister is a stretch, but with God anything is possible!!!)

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='999637' date='Jun 7 2006, 12:29 PM']
No... random order because I have no idea what God wants... I will be happy with whatever he wants.
(I would rather be married or an active sister... the cloister is a stretch, but with God anything is possible!!!)
[/quote]
You probably don't want to hear this, but you are VERY young yet! You seem to indicate a very strong preference for the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. Why don't you just go ahead and try? What have you got to lose? At least then you will know for sure.

be_thou_my_vision

You know what Deborah, I have definitely thought about it! I have talked to my parents about it, but THEY are the ones that are making me wait until I graduate from college! It's the only thing that they ask of me, that I get my nursing degree before I pursue the religious life or get married. They are extremely supportive, so don't think they are holding me back. This is a chance for me to grow in holy obedience for sure!
Also, I have a boyfriend of two years who I love very much. Some would say "If you love him, what's your problem then?" But I also LOVE everything I know about the religious life.
God is asking me to wait, and he will tell me in due time.
Sometimes I do want to go to Ann Arbor this fall as a postulant, to find out if I am called... Sister Joseph Andrew asked me if I would like to attend the pre-postulant week this year, but the fact that I have to finish school showed that there was no way that I would be entering this fall, so there was no need for me to go to the pre-postulant week.
It's all very confusing, and your questions are not at all bold!
This extreme confusion about my vocation and the duration of my discernment (4.5 years so far) has caused me to totally surrender my will to the Lord's will.
I feel I will know in a couple of years. Pray for me!

Dear one, You parents arent' asking alot from you, do what they wish. A nursing degree will always open doors for you,, in the convent or in the world(I know I am one). How wonderful that your parents love you that much that they are giving you a valuable education. Also, just because you want to explore religious life, does not mean you cant have a boyfriend. I really feel that you will regret it later on, if you dont explore the dating world. If you have a true vocation, the Lord will speak to your heart. And never forget that your parents have YOUR best interests in mind. Respect them as you would respect a future superior.

be_thou_my_vision

Oh, I am not at all disagreeing with them that I should finish school first... I agree 100%, It's nice to know that I don't have to make that decision (to leave school if I wanted).
I totally agree with you alicemary, I am not breaking up with my boyfriend and I am not worried that I will "lose my vocation." I don't think that happens.
I agree with my parents, I have never fought them, and I know my education is a valuable gift. That's why I am taking it!

You really are an inspiration, I know that you will be successful in whatever path you might take.

be_thou_my_vision

Haha, I hope I will be successful!
That is exactly what Sister Lois said to me a couple of weeks ago.
:)
God Bless you all!

• 1 month later...
be_thou_my_vision

Just FYI, I am visiting the Carmelites again over labor day.
The Lord takes you down strange and unexpected paths... doesn't He?

I <3 Carmelites.

:blush:

Pray to JP2 for discernment! He wanted to become a Carmelite, but decided to become a parish Priest.

be_thou_my_vision

JPII and I have had a few conversations about discernment... lol.
prayers for you.

Edited by be_thou_my_vision

• 1 month later...
be_thou_my_vision

Hi everyone,
I got back from another day visit with the Carmelites.
The dear Lord has shown me this summer that I am called to try religious life. If I rebelled and got married without trying, I would not be fulfilled. I would always wonder about the religious life, and therefore not be able to fully be a wife and mother.
I don't know where or when I am called to go. The idea of Carmel is not so scary. So that's good, but I need to find out if I am called to the active or contemplative life.
There is something undying and rich about Carmel, but I love the SMME spirit and vitality. So it's up to God now, please pray for me friends.
Jenny