An Old School Catholic Message Board

How long do you think you'll spend in purgatory

Resurrexi

How long do you think you will be in purgatory if you make it there?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know how long I will spend there. But I can tell you that if I do get there I will be the happiest one in purgatory!!!

ummm....you forgot the options "as long as God says I need to be there" or "our concept of time doesn't really apply to purgatory, so who knows?"

homeschoolmom

[quote name='morostheos' date='Apr 4 2006, 10:26 PM']ummm....you forgot the options "as long as God says I need to be there" or "our concept of time doesn't really apply to purgatory, so who knows?"
[right][snapback]936011[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:yes:

Brother Adam

I don't think we can even possibly imagine reality outside of the confines of time...

Choose to be a saint.

[quote]Purgatory is not, as Tertullian thought, some kind of supra-worldly concentration camp where one is forced to undergo punishments in a more or less arbitrary fashion. Rather it is the inwardly necessary process of transformation in which a person becomes capable of Christ, capable of God [i.e., capable of full unity with Christ and God] and thus capable of unity with the whole communion of saints. Simply to look at people with any degree of realism at all is to grasp the necessity of such a process. It does not replace grace by works, but allows the former to achieve its full victory precisely as grace. What actually saves is the full assent of faith. But in most of us, that basic option is buried under a great deal of wood, hay and straw. Only with difficulty can it peer out from behind the latticework of an egoism we are powerless to pull down with our own hands. Man is the recipient of the divine mercy, yet this does not exonerate him from the need to be transformed. Encounter with the Lord is this transformation. It is the fire that burns away our dross and re-forms us to be vessels of eternal joy.

--Pope Benedict XVI[/quote]

goldenchild17

Shoot, if I make it that far, I'll be there quite awhile(years and years and years and... well you get the point), but it will all be worth it, every second.

Why do you weep, Didacus? Those in Purgatory are already promised salvation, it's just a matter of purifying the soul to reach Heaven.

I think I'll be in purgatory a while, God willing. :blush: But afterward... :saint:

Church Punk

If God granted, no time, if God not granted his prescription is sufficient for me.

His Grace is sufficient.

[quote name='Paladin' date='Apr 5 2006, 05:47 AM']Why do you weep, Didacus?  Those in Purgatory are already promised salvation, it's just a matter of purifying the soul to reach Heaven.

I think I'll be in purgatory a while, God willing. :blush:  But afterward... :saint:
[right][snapback]936240[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I weep the weight of my sins, which are many. The shame of having bitten the hand of my Creator for which I am truly sorry.

I also weep the tears that I shall justily shed until the happy conclusion.

I welcome God's judgement; I know it to be perfectly just. I fear what I deserve, and lack too much faith to know God's grace enough for my own comfort.

[i]The first good thing about purgatory is that I would not be in hell, which I fear even more.[/i]

[quote name='Didacus' date='Apr 5 2006, 07:25 AM']I weep the weight of my sins, which are many.  The shame of having bitten the hand of my Creator for which I am truly sorry.

I also weep the tears that I shall justily shed until the happy conclusion.

I welcome God's judgement; I know it to be perfectly just.  I fear what I deserve, and lack too much faith to know God's grace enough for my own comfort.
[i]The first good thing about purgatory is that I would not be in hell, which I fear even more.[/i]
[right][snapback]936259[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Fair enough.