An Old School Catholic Message Board

How long do you think you'll spend in purgatory

Resurrexi

How long do you think you will be in purgatory if you make it there?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1610739' date='Jul 28 2008, 04:24 PM']God wants me to skip Purgatory, and He often finds a way to get what He wants.[/quote]

God wants all people to be in Heaven, but that doesn't mean it's happening.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1611022' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:12 PM']God wants all people to be in Heaven, but that doesn't mean it's happening.[/quote]

"God wants all people to be in Heaven" = true
"But that doesn't mean its happening" = also true. Although I think its possible that it IS happening. Not likely, but possible. Hell could be a rather emptyish place. But this stuff is for another debate thread.

I think our angels cringe when we talk about how we're going to purgatory. That's not how its supposed to work. Purgatory is supposed to be an emergency provision, not the "expected way to go."

If a person wants to avoid Purgatory, that person ought to:

1. Ask God for this
2. Give Him permission to make it happen in whatever manner He choses
3. Have confidence in God's power

This is in addition to frequentiing the Sacraments, striving to grow in holiness, etc.

If I died this second, I would have an extended stay in Purgatory. But I didn't die this second, probably because God intends to do some more work on me. I have a firm hope that God won't let me die before He's brought me to perfection. God can't use force on someone against their will. But I've tried to give God permission to use force on me.

I'm not explaining myself very clearly. Oh well.

lilac_angel

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1611212' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:48 PM']"God wants all people to be in Heaven" = true
"But that doesn't mean its happening" = also true. Although I think its possible that it IS happening. Not likely, but possible. Hell could be a rather emptyish place.[/quote]

It's been revealed to many saints that many souls are lost to hell... The Bible teaches that the path to salvation is narrow. Also, various Church approved Marian apparitions, I think, may have had messages that went along with the saints' revelations.

Our Lady of Fatima:

"You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to My Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace. The war is going to end; but if people do not cease offending God, a worse one will break out during the reign of Pius XI. When you see a night illumined by an unknown light, know that this is the great sign given you by God that He is about to punish the world for its crimes by means of war, famine, and persecutions of the Church and of the Holy Father."

Unfortunately, the light showed itself across the world & war she was talking about did break out - WWII...

Just my two cents..

Edited by lilac_angel

Lilllabettt

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1611252' date='Jul 29 2008, 02:07 AM']It's been revealed to many saints that many souls are lost to hell... The Bible teaches that the path to salvation is narrow. Also, various Church approved Marian apparitions, I think, may have had messages that went along with the saints' revelations.[/quote]

There are times the Church needs an emphasis on God's mercy, other times an emphasis on God's justice. I think Our Lady tailored her messages to that. There is nothing in the deposit of faith which indicates with certainty the identity of people in Hell or the quantity of its population. It didn't look too good for Judas, but even he gets the benefit of the doubt.

I don't mean to hijack the thread.

Jesus did not die to give us the hope of going to Purgatory.

It's supposed to be the exception, not the rule.

Lilllabettt

"You do a great injury to God in believing you're going to Purgatory. "

~ St. Therse of Lisieux

lilac_angel

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1611452' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:19 AM']There are times the Church needs an emphasis on God's mercy, other times an emphasis on God's justice. I think Our Lady tailored her messages to that. There is nothing in the deposit of faith which indicates with certainty the identity of people in Hell or the quantity of its population. It didn't look too good for Judas, but even he gets the benefit of the doubt.

I don't mean to hijack the thread.

Jesus did not die to give us the hope of going to Purgatory.

It's supposed to be the exception, not the rule.[/quote]

It doesn't look good for those who openly reject God, either. God is both merciful and just. That is why we have Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell.

True, we are not supposed to aim for Purgatory or even assume that's where we'll end up - we're supposed to aim each day for Heaven and perfecting ourselves. Just shooting for Purgatory is indeed hurting God because there is likely still an attachment to venial sins. However, some (or perhaps many - the Church has many prayers for the souls in Purgatory) souls need the cleansing of Purgatory due to the stains that sin has left on their soul. Sure, a saint who has lived their life in pretty much perfection will likely have not much of a need for Purgatory. Therese was an example of such a saint who likely qualified. Her earthly sufferings became great. Our earthly sufferings have the potential to reduce our need for the cleansing fires of Purgatory, if we suffer in a sanctifying way.

Edited by lilac_angel

White Knight

I'm refusing to give a date or a timespan on my "possible" sentence for purgatory, it could be instant or it could be a long time, we & I simply just dont know, time has no application in eternity, so why would it matter if Your in the state of Purgatory being purifed from all attachment to sin for a week, a day, millions of years, or until the end of time? Your promised Salvation, reguardless if you are only in there for one day, or until the end of time. So why speculate, if your in Purgatory, You are going to Heaven, it doesn't matter on the time.

I believe with the sins Ive commited I'll have to do some fairly a enduring purification process before being eligable for Heaven, The Lord Jesus Himself knows I'm not perfect, and He knows I need it.

However I refuse to give an estimated time for my purgatory, I know I will have to go through it, if I make it there, Lord willing of course. I will be forever greatful, and happy if I make it there.

I trust in the Lord I will make it there though. :cool: :saint:

"You do a great injury to God in believing you're going to Purgatory. "

~ St. Therse of Lisieux

I wonder shy she said that? Does she mean that we are not to make assumptions because that would mean we don't trust that he will take care of us? It's not that I disagree, just curious. :)

dominicansoul

[quote name='Selah' post='1615344' date='Aug 1 2008, 04:12 PM']"You do a great injury to God in believing you're going to Purgatory. "

~ St. Therse of Lisieux

I wonder shy she said that? Does she mean that we are not to make assumptions because that would mean we don't trust that he will take care of us? It's not that I disagree, just curious. :)[/quote]

Probably because we shouldn't be content with "just making it" to Purgatory. We need to run this race with zeal and with passion! We must live to be SAINTS!

I heard from one of the sisters in the convent, that the holy souls in Purgatory do not find humor in us speaking so lightly about our own times in Purgatory...she said this to me after I exclaimed to everyone, "I'm gonna be in Purgatory until the end of time! I'll be turning off the lights of Purgatory!"

Whether that's true or not, it made me think, and I no longer joke or speculate about this...

Edited by dominicansoul

I see. I would also imagine that it would not be funny to them at all. Although, I do not think it's anger, more like pity...we have no idea what we are taking lightly.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1615367' date='Aug 1 2008, 06:44 PM']Probably because we shouldn't be content with "just making it" to Purgatory. We need to run this race with zeal and with passion! We must live to be SAINTS![/quote]

And because "in believing you're going to purgatory" your belief implies that purgatory is the destination. Heaven is the destination; purgatory is simply part of the journey.