An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holding Hands

White Knight

What do you think of holding hands during the Our Father?  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think alot of us older Catholics (I said older, not OLD, mind you) feel uncomfortable holding hands because they never did that at Mass when we were growing up. It's new to us, and possibly we are trying to imitate some protestants, I don't know.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with it, other than the fact that it makes some people feel uncomfortable. And that is probably a good enough reason to NOT do it. :smokey:

I dont hold hands simply because it is uncomfortable personally and it tends to distract me as well....

And I dont like the mass feeling like a social hall, which is what it feels like when I hold hands and right after do the sign of peace.

~Kristina

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Sep 13 2005, 12:02 PM']I dont hold hands simply because it is uncomfortable personally and it tends to distract me as well....

And I dont like the mass feeling like a social hall, which is what it feels like when I hold hands and right after do the sign of peace.

~Kristina
[right][snapback]721782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I never hold hands anymore. I have no trouble refusing old ladies.

I do tend to glare at them, though. >:(

[quote name='White Knight' date='Sep 13 2005, 02:59 PM']The Lord's Prayer right? holding hands while praying the Lord's Prayer and speaking as one?
[right][snapback]721980[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The first question, yes. The second, I dont know about that. I've never heard that phrase before.

"speaking as one?" :idontknow:

Well from what I noticed, Mass is generally people getting together in Church and praying and singing, and taking communion, all as one body, one voice, in a sense.

[quote name='White Knight' date='Sep 13 2005, 03:29 PM']Well from what I noticed, Mass is generally people getting together in Church and praying and singing, and taking communion, all as one body, one voice, in a sense.
[right][snapback]722011[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thats a cool way of seeing it!

~Kristina

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there slightly different styles of the Latin liturgy in other cultures? The GIRM doesn't mention all of these. Should they be discouraged to do it? Or do they have a special mandate?

I'm torn on the issue, because I don't see a big problem with it. Either with the hands or not, it doesn't distract me.