An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holding Hands

White Knight

What do you think of holding hands during the Our Father?  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To me, holding hands is not about being uncomfortable with touching people, or having a problem with praying that way. I have no problem holding hands while praying, and I'd hold hands with anyone... just not at mass!

It's all about where your focus should be at that particular time in the liturgy. During the Our Father you should have undistracted focus on the Eucharist, and not your neighbors. The best way I've ever heard it described was that at that moment in mass, our prayers should be vertical, not horizontal.

[quote] To me, holding hands is not about being uncomfortable with touching people, or having a problem with praying that way. I have no problem holding hands while praying, and I'd hold hands with anyone... just not at mass!

It's all about where your focus should be at that particular time in the liturgy. During the Our Father you should have undistracted focus on the Eucharist, and not your neighbors. The best way I've ever heard it described was that at that moment in mass, our prayers should be vertical, not horizontal.[/quote]

good point. I don't have a problem holding hands when praying, just not during the Divine Liturgy of the Holy and Sacred Sacrifice of the Godly Mass.

[quote] Is it an implementation by the laity? [/quote]

bingo

[quote] And thank you for making it evident why you have the "hello, i do not rep the church" label. You are just like Budge and Eutychus. You erroneously misrepresent what the Catholics really teach. [/quote]

I have the "hello, I do not rep the Church" as a punishment of making an alternate account to bypass suspension, thankyou.

Edited by StThomasMore

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

[quote]To me, holding hands is not about being uncomfortable with touching people, or having a problem with praying that way. I have no problem holding hands while praying, and I'd hold hands with anyone... just not at mass!

It's all about where your focus should be at that particular time in the liturgy. During the Our Father you should have undistracted focus on the Eucharist, and not your neighbors. The best way I've ever heard it described was that at that moment in mass, our prayers should be vertical, not horizontal.[/quote]

:yes:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1044504' date='Aug 16 2006, 08:47 AM']
good point. I don't have a problem holding hands when praying, just not during the Divine Liturgy of the Holy and Sacred Sacrifice of the Godly Mass.
bingo
I have the "hello, I do not rep the Church" as a punishment of making an alternate account to bypass suspension, thankyou.
[/quote]
Dust does not give out the "hello, I do not rep the Church" moniker for breaking the phorum guidelines.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1044615' date='Aug 16 2006, 11:39 AM']
GRRRRr, I went to a funeral Friday with a visiting priest and he told us to hold hands :annoyed:
[/quote]
maybe to express support of each other in getting through the emotionally hard time...

[quote]I somehow dont think wine has enough alcohol in it to kill all the germs of several hundred people drinking out of the same cup. [/quote]

There is of course the small matter of faith in receiving the body and blood of Our Lord....

[quote]Where did this 'holding hands' thing come from exactly? Did it come from the Church? Is it an implementation by the laity? [/quote]

Is it peculiar to the US?!

• 2 weeks later...

I answered that I try to avoid it (during Mass), because it goes against the sybol of the priest extending his hands praying in the name of the Church (he extends his hands praying for us all), and we folding our hands praying in our own names (not to say we are not praying in the name of Jesus, just that we represent ourselves, not the whole Church). But this last Sunday I thought about holding this guy's hand during the Our Father, because he looked very bored and uninvolved, if not sad or depressed.

Edited by una_fide

• 1 year later...

I never hold hands. Ever since I was a small child, I've had a weak immune system and I catch sicknesses easily. That's made me a bit of a germaphobe,I don't like to hold hands, or really even shake hands with people that I don't know,much less hold hands with someone I've only been sitting next to for twenty minutes or so. But I have'nt the slightest idea what to do when someone expects me to hold their hand (Or in the rare case that they try to make my do it)

I kinda like it, but I understand why some may be uncomfortable. I think it should be optional, and no one feel obligated.

i fold my hands in front of me in prayer, close my eyes and look down. that way, there is nothing to grab, and you can't see people's "offers" to refuse them!

haven't had a problem yet! ^_^

[quote name='kateri05' post='1409433' date='Oct 25 2007, 09:40 PM']i fold my hands in front of me in prayer, close my eyes and look down. that way, there is nothing to grab, and you can't see people's "offers" to refuse them!

haven't had a problem yet! ^_^[/quote]
i had someone tap me on the shoulder. :mellow: i pretended i didn't feel it.

The proper position duringthe Our Father is the orans position. Since I know this, I feel that I should follow the correct form. I don't like holding hands but if someone reaches out I won't refuse.