An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holding Hands

White Knight

What do you think of holding hands during the Our Father?  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why do Catholics go nuts over being told to hold hands?

You all act as if youll get cooties from your fellow church members which is weird since you're all drinking out of the same cup when you go get communion.

MissScripture

[quote name='Budge' post='1038775' date='Aug 6 2006, 06:06 PM']
Why do Catholics go nuts over being told to hold hands?

You all act as if youll get cooties from your fellow church members which is weird since you're all drinking out of the same cup when you go get communion.
[/quote]
To go the biological route with this, you would actually be more likely to get something from someone by holding hands with them than sharing the cup, because the alcohol is gonna kill the germs.

I'd rather hold hands than behave in an un-Christian manner.

But that's not Catholic. :idontknow:

MissScripture

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1038835' date='Aug 6 2006, 08:04 PM']
I'd rather hold hands than behave in an un-Christian manner.

But that's not Catholic. :idontknow:
[/quote]
What's unchristian about not wanting to hold hands? Different people have different comfort levels with touching other people. I am very uncomfortable hugging many people, so does that make it unchristian for me to not want to hug them?

Holding hands isn't in the rubrics (not to my knowledge at least), so I don't do it. I don't like submitting myself to the Protestant influences creeping into the Church. :)

[quote]sharing the cup, because the alcohol is gonna kill the germs.[/quote]

I somehow dont think wine has enough alcohol in it to kill all the germs of several hundred people drinking out of the same cup. I always found the wiping the edge with a white cloth thing ludicrous.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1038840' date='Aug 6 2006, 07:12 PM']
What's unchristian about not wanting to hold hands? Different people have different comfort levels with touching other people. I am very uncomfortable hugging many people, so does that make it unchristian for me to not want to hug them?[/quote]glaring. turning your back. ignoring them when everyone else is holding hands.

How about smiling and just nodding while keeping your hands folded?
How about smiling and talking to your priest about it and actually following his instructions?
How about smiling and realizing it's a more of a cultural/regional thing and nothing to get all twisted up about?
How about smiling and realizing it's probably a bigger sin to glare or turn a cold shoulder than 'breaking a minor rubric rule' and holding hands?

I heard that it was a way of showing unity, but aren't we all unified by the Eucharist? This is part of the reason I don't hold hands and refuse to do it. The other part is because I really feel comfortable holiding hands with people I don't know or don't really like. It's not a bad thing, just a personal preference. The Church hasn't specifically said anything about it, so it is acceptable, though I wish people would realize that we are unified by the Eucharist, not eachother.

[quote name='Budge' post='1038858' date='Aug 6 2006, 09:06 PM']
I somehow dont think wine has enough alcohol in it to kill all the germs of several hundred people drinking out of the same cup. I always found the wiping the edge with a white cloth thing ludicrous.
[/quote]

What don't you find ludicrous about the Church's teachings and practices? I think it's pretty ludicrous that you come to a Catholic website and completely trash talk our Catholic faith. Do you have anything better to do than speak negatively about a Church that you know nothing about.

Seeing as I attend an Indult TLM and an Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy, though I would happily attend a The Novus Ordo Mass in Latin, ad Orientem, Communion only on the touge, kneeling for Communion, Communion only from the priest, only males serving at the altar, with the Roman Canon (Eucharistic Prayer One), Decons or Alcolytes or Altar Boys wearing cassocks and not albs, priest in elaborite vestments, with all the smells and bells; I am never faced with the temptation to commit the mortal sin of the sacrilige of liturgical abuse by holding hands during the Pater Noster.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1040714' date='Aug 9 2006, 10:25 PM']
Seeing as I attend an Indult TLM and an Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy, though I would happily attend a The Novus Ordo Mass in Latin, ad Orientem, Communion only on the touge, kneeling for Communion, Communion only from the priest, only males serving at the altar, with the Roman Canon (Eucharistic Prayer One), Decons or Alcolytes or Altar Boys wearing cassocks and not albs, priest in elaborite vestments, with all the smells and bells; I am never faced with the temptation to commit the mortal sin of the sacrilige of liturgical abuse by holding hands during the Pater Noster.
[/quote]
And thank you for making it evident why you have the "[font="System"][color="#FF6666"]hello, i do not rep the church[/color][/font]" label. You are just like Budge and Eutychus. You erroneously misrepresent what the Catholics really teach.

Edited by Anomaly

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1040714' date='Aug 10 2006, 12:25 AM']
[/quote]

must be nice to be more catholic than the rest of us....

The body of Christ imagery is oftentimes used in Sacred Scripture to refer to the community of believers.
It is our father, not my father in the prayer.... That explains why it is appropriate... However, because many
use it in worship of us [instead of Christ] or because it may cause scandal to weaker brothers (see Paul's discussion
of how this should be avoided), it's understandable why one may wish to refrain.

It is too bad that a liturgical act of unity causes so much disunity amongst those who don't understand its biblical and theological roots..... Personally, I only hold hands around 20% of the time, depending on parish, etc. But, it's too bad its such a source of sadness and division.....

:weep:

Edited by HS_Dad

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

Where did this 'holding hands' thing come from exactly? Did it come from the Church? Is it an implementation by the laity?

I personally detest it...but try not to let it bother me. The only thing that really bothers me is when people assume or make you feel obligated to hold hands.