An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about leaving for the monastery/convent

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

Please excuse my ignorance but what happens to the material things when a man or woman enters the monastery or convent? I know that priests are allowed wordly possessions but those taking the vows of poverty are not. (Duh) Do they give it away? Do family members keep it? What happens? :idontknow:

In Sister Lauren's case (as well as Sister Marjorie's), she was young and probably had few things which an older person might have. Even still, what do you do?

:idontknow:

in some cases the family keeps it.

I know of several people who have big auctions and donate what doesn't sell to charity.

Some of them might bring the things with them and donate to the monastery/priory/convent.

I also know of several women who entered, that placed things in storage, with instructions to family/friends to dispose of it when they take vows. The same with investments/property. Some are placed in trust until vows are made and then the proceeds either donated to the monastery or given to family. Sr. Denise seemed to sell it all though!

It's not an ignorant question at all. This is a difficult issue, hughey. You're right that Sr. Lauren really didn't have much to speak of. Sr. Denise, on the other hand, had a car and a house, etc. I suspect that the 'wise' thing to do from a secular perspective would be to sell what's valuable and invest the proceeds, leave them with somebody you trust who will give it back in the event that you return to civilian life. Maybe the order would allow the person to keep it in their name until final profession. :idontknow:

The whole idea gives me the willies though. Taking this approach would seem to be second guessing your own vocation. I'm not sure how healthy a financial insurance policy would be toward one's discernment.

If I was in this situation I would give some away to family and give the rest to the community that I'm joining.

It would be interesting to hear what Sr. Mary Michael as a VD has to say. I'm sure this is a commom question.

photosynthesis

It depends...

I have a LOT of friends from my college days who all entered convents around the same time. That year, I got a LOT of random stuff... clothing, religious statues, electronics, books, money...

most of them didn't have a lot of things to begin with, since they all just graduated college, but I think they left things like cars to their families.

Well I would say, that whatever your friends, family, etc.. don't want then with the rest you either give to charity or sell the belongings and donate the money. Either one.

franciscanheart

Thank you for all of the responses. I've only recently thought of this question and it was nice to hear answers so quickly! :)

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='961681' date='Apr 26 2006, 11:21 AM']
I suspect that the 'wise' thing to do from a secular perspective would be to sell what's valuable and invest the proceeds, leave them with somebody you trust who will give it back in the event that you return to civilian life. Maybe the order would allow the person to keep it in their name until final profession. :idontknow:

The whole idea gives me the willies though. Taking this approach would seem to be second guessing your own vocation. I'm not sure how healthy a financial insurance policy would be toward one's discernment.

[/quote]

Yeah, I can see how that might be second guessing, but it also seems reasonable to keep $, investments, property, in your name until final vows. There are other reasons why one might leave religious life not related to ones vocation. Some have left to care for family members when no one else could do it, some have had to leave for health reasons, etc. Though sometimes this happens even after final vows and you would have gotten rid of it, but that's a different situation.

Also, religious life isn't like marriage in one sense. Until you take final vows you're under no obligation to stay. (NOT that leaving should be taken lightly!) So, to keep things invested, etc until one makes final vows isn't really the same as say a pre-nuptual agreement. I believe many communities wait until you've made final vows to let you give them real estate, investments, etc, but I could be mistaken.

Keeping material things in storage is a little different I think. Other than family heirlooms, which could go to family/close friends, I can't think of anything material that one would "need" to keep in the event that they left. :idontknow:

My husband sold/got rid of a LOT of his stuff when he was living with the Bros and thought he was entering. Every now and again he'll hear a song on the radio and say, "I used to have that CD!" LOL, it's almost like he had this other life that he shed before he knew me. ^_^ BTW, I'm NOT the reason he left the Bros. They sent him back out into the world to fall in love....the rest, as they say, is history. :saint:

philothea0806

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='961681' date='Apr 26 2006, 09:21 AM']
It's not an ignorant question at all. This is a difficult issue, hughey. You're right that Sr. Lauren really didn't have much to speak of. Sr. Denise, on the other hand, had a car and a house, etc. I suspect that the 'wise' thing to do from a secular perspective would be to sell what's valuable and invest the proceeds, leave them with somebody you trust who will give it back in the event that you return to civilian life. Maybe the order would allow the person to keep it in their name until final profession. :idontknow:

If I was in this situation I would give some away to family and give the rest to the community that I'm joining.

It would be interesting to hear what Sr. Mary Michael as a VD has to say. I'm sure this is a commom question.
[/quote]

I am not Sr. Mary Michael but here is my two cents.

I guess I disagree with the "second guessing" the vocation. As we all know, entering seminary or a monastary or convent is further discernment of a person's vocation (until final vows). A person enters believing that this is where God is calling them and to follow and in a way "test" their vocation. There are many reasons that a person may leave and having something to come back to isn't a bad thing if it can be left with family or friends. Having some kind of money set aside has a few benefits as far as I can see.

1) It can cover any unexpected medical expenses that may occur or pay for health insurance (if the person is past the age to be on the parents health insurance policy), if you are in a community that asks you to cover your medical expenses while in formation.

2) In case a person is not called they have something to "fall back on" so they are not a "burden" to their family or friends. I say the last sentence knowing that many families would gladly help their child in this event but sometimes it can come at a big financial cost if it is not expected, or the person may not have any family to go back to. I am not saying you need alot of money but something that could help until you find a job, etc..

3)Also, if a person was realizing that they were not called to a community, having the money would help them from "staying because they have no other place to go," and this I believe allows for a better discernment.

I know a few women who left the community they entered for various reasons. All are living at home and trying to restart their lives because they gave everything away and now rely on the generousity of their families and friends. For some the financial burden is more than others.

I am not being critical of giving everything away, and there is great trust in God that comes with giving all away. But I think there is wisdom in setting some money aside in case a person, or the community they enter decides that God may not be calling the person there, for whatever reason. Then at final vows (or first vows depending on the rules of the community) the money could be donated to the community, to friends and family or even to one the foundations that helps others to pay off loans in order to enter religous life. I do not think that it should be a requirement to have money set aside but if the person has it from selling a car or possesions, etc... it is something to consider.

Maybe this is "too secular" of a view but like I said before just my two cents from my experience and those of friends.

ThyHolyLove

When I find my order I intend to sell my stuff or give it to family/ friends. My pal Sr. Regina Marie of the Nashville Sisters sold some stuff on ebay and used to money towards her health insurance. Very smart idea! Also, what you're allowed to take with you varies on the order/community. In addition to postulant clothes sometimes they let you bring books, religious picture or icon, small statue......

Jason, now Br. Anthony Joseph of the Domincans wrote a little post about what he was leaving and bringing when he entered
[url="http://discernmentgroup.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_discernmentgroup_archive.html#109000201533376774"]Br. Anthony Joseph[/url]

hope that helps!

Church Punk

Ok here is a further question on this.

Is it permissiable to transfer any or all of your previous investments, IE Houses, stocks, and other finacial investments to the Chruch if you were to enter into monastic life.

Or would they investigate first as to what they would be supporting having the investments as some stocks could be in companys that directly or indirectly support abortions and such evils?

As I prepare to enter...into the convent... Some things that I am allowed to take are: 1 rosary, 1 holy card, 1 medal. Such as the problem comes in that I have about 20 of each of those items :) I am gradually giving these things away to friends and family. My clothes I am donating to my home parish and Goodwill services.....as 6 bags of clothes have rolled out of my room already :) I am not allowed to take any family pictures at first...due to the whole thing of detachment and exterior vs. interior....so pictures and letters of such that I have i will put in a box for my mom to keep for me. i will have a small box for my mom, a small box for my dad, a small box for my brother...and a small box for other relatives and friends...of my assorted items that I wish to give to them. Other religious items that I don't know where to give or send will be donated to my home parish. So there's just a brief outlook on where my things are going and things I can bring and such. Also...I may bring my trombone :) :saint:

God Bless,

Ali

Edited by SisterAli

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I would end up giving most of my monetary stuff to my little sister once perpetual vows are made... The material stuff I am hoping to slim down immensly before entering, but keeping a few essential and things of the like...

The Benedictine nuns of St. Emma Monastery provide for an administrator over the assets of their sisters in formation until they make final vows, at which time the sister is free to give them to family or the community.