An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about leaving for the monastery/convent

franciscanheart

From our Constitutions:

Christ, our most wise teacher, when responding to the young man who manifested a desire to achieve eternal salvation, said that whoever wanted to be perfect should first sell all that he had and give to the poor.
His imitator Francis not only fulfilled this in deed and taught it to the others whom he received, but also decreed in the Rule that it should be observed.

Let the provincial ministers, therefore, take care that these words revealed in the Holy Gospel be made known and explained to the candidates who, invited by an interior love of Christ, come to our Order. [b]In this way, at the proper time before their perpetual profession, they may renounce their goods above all in favor of the poor.[/b]
Candidates should prepare themselves interiorly for the future renunciation of goods and condition themselves for the service of all peoples, especially the poor.

Let the brothers, however, avoid involving themselves in any way in these arrangements, according to the Rule.
Moreover, let the candidates be ready to contribute to the entire fraternity their strengths of intellect and will as well as their gifts of nature and grace in fulfilling the duties which they accept in the service of the people of God.

I gave all my goods to the administration of my parents and family and when I made perpetual profession all was given away.

Edited by cappie

Domine ut Videam

I have a question. Say you are a writer, or you have lots of spritual journals, or poems, or just things that you have written throughout the years; that say your sd has [b]specifically[/b] :blush: instructed you to never, ever, under any circumstances to throw away, and to keep somewhere with you very safe. May you take these with you. See reading my old journals i find helpful to my spiritual life becuase it helps me to see where i have failed and where i have triumphed, etc...

Anyways, would we be allowed to bring these types of things with us?

-Yours in Christ
Lauren

Edited by Domine ut Videam

AlterDominicus

I know one thing, I AM NOT leaving without my portrait of Saint Therese the Little Flower! lol. I know she isnt Dominican, but I dont care.

Domine ut Videam

ohhh........i didn't even think of my portrait of St.Teresa of Avila's ecstacy....i love it! I couldn't ever leave it. I'll give it to the convent! :)

passionheart

I find this is a timely thread because I am in this position now. On Easter Monday, I decided it is time to give stuff away. For me it was decision that I am entering. In some ways during Lent, it seemed as if my acceptance wasn't real. Now, with the receipt of the grant and all the fundraising I am doing, I realized I am going so let get moving. Already, I cleaned out my closets and drawers. Some stuff I threw away and some I will give to charity.

I am 43 and I am trying to decided what to do with certain things. Fortuantely, I live with my brother so my rather large library he will have. I told him to go to my room and choose what holy pictures, icons, etc he would like because now the fire sale is on. I am asking people if they would like a rosary and if I can't find anyone who doesn't have 10 or more like myself, I will give them away to an organization that passes out rosaries to those in need. I am keeping my chaplets and I would like to keep my icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. That was my parish and my parish was closed last year on Labour Day.

Next week, I will go down to the American Embassy and ask for information in regards to my visa. My pension contributions must stay in Canada and so I will leave that behind. I am giving my brother power of attorney over my accounts so he can take care of business while away. After all, I will have taxes for 2006.
Even if I leave the monastery, I may not return Canada. So we will see.

Since I have lived a pentiental rule for 4 years, I have lived simply. However, even simply over the years can add up!!

Edited by passionheart

+

For SMME it is my understanding that we are allowed to bring: :flowers:
blanket (we're thrifty)
postulant outfit
crucifix
bible
catechism
one icon or holy picture to hang

? I'm not sure if we may bring our own rosary... it seems likely...

Not being able to bring books will be the hardest! :surrender:

Pax!

[quote name='Veritas' post='962758' date='Apr 27 2006, 11:01 AM']
+

For SMME it is my understanding that we are allowed to bring: :flowers:
blanket (we're thrifty)
postulant outfit
crucifix
bible
catechism
one icon or holy picture to hang

? I'm not sure if we may bring our own rosary... it seems likely...

Not being able to bring books will be the hardest! :surrender:

Pax!
[/quote]
Can you bring anything family related? Some pictures or a small photo album? OLAM Dad, Sister Ali, et al, is this your experience as well--that you're allowed to bring something to remind of your family? (Not that you can't just close your eyes and see them! ^_^ )

[quote name='shortnun' post='963184' date='Apr 27 2006, 03:58 PM']
Can you bring anything family related? Some pictures or a small photo album? OLAM Dad, Sister Ali, et al, is this your experience as well--that you're allowed to bring something to remind of your family? (Not that you can't just close your eyes and see them! ^_^ )
[/quote]
Totally depends on the order, I'm sure.

I think that Sr. Lauren just asked Mother whenever she had questions. For Lauren, she wanted to take some of her music but wasn't allowed. That was her biggest sacrifice. She took a lot of my books with her (the thief!) and she also left a box in her room that she wanted us to bring on our first visit. I'm sure when we do she'll probably think, "What was I thinking???"

HTH

Anybody want to buy a [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/uploaded_images/6c47-704826.jpg"]townhouse[/url]?

I couldn't take it with me to the convent, so we put it up for sale since I haven't lived there for a year. It's hard because that was my place. I [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/uploaded_images/fireplace-752718.jpg"]fixed it [/url] up how I wanted it (down to the [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/kitchen.jpg"]paint colors[/url], [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/bathroom.jpg"]medicine cabinets[/url], [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/couchnolegs.jpg"]furniture[/url], light fixtures and outlet/lightswitch plates), and it was pretty spiffy. I have tons of memories of that place. It's sad because it kind of embodies what I am giving up.

franciscanheart

Here's something else I was thinking about: Do the orders give their candidates a copy of Christian Prayer or do they have them purchase their own? I could imagine this being quite an expense if the order goes through a period of rapid growth.

One of the few things on my list is a 4 volume Liturgy of the Hours set. I already have one, so I have to get the Franciscan supplements. I was going to see if one of my friends could pick a set up for me when they are on sale at the Steubenville bookstore if they still have the end of the year sale.

Edit: My friend, Alyssa, who is a postulant with the FSGM sisters will get a breviary of her own when she is received as a novice. They have a Christian Prayer book before that, but they actually get their own copies when they become novices.

Edited by jgirl