An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about leaving for the monastery/convent

franciscanheart

ThyHolyLove

[quote]FSGM? Someone help me out...[/quote] [url="http://www.altonfranciscans.org/main.htm"]The Franciscan Sisters of the Marytr St. George[/url] aka the Alton Franciscans really awsome order from what I've heard.....

[quote name='jgirl' post='963404' date='Apr 27 2006, 07:04 PM']
Anybody want to buy a [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/uploaded_images/6c47-704826.jpg"]townhouse[/url]?

I couldn't take it with me to the convent, so we put it up for sale since I haven't lived there for a year. It's hard because that was my place. I [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/uploaded_images/fireplace-752718.jpg"]fixed it [/url] up how I wanted it (down to the [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/kitchen.jpg"]paint colors[/url], [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/bathroom.jpg"]medicine cabinets[/url], [url="http://www.iheartnormal.com/jvd/couchnolegs.jpg"]furniture[/url], light fixtures and outlet/lightswitch plates), and it was pretty spiffy. I have tons of memories of that place. It's sad because it kind of embodies what I am giving up.
[/quote]

Sweet place....I would...but I'd only have to sell it again soon... :detective:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='963648' date='Apr 27 2006, 10:13 PM']
Thanks for that! I'll have to look at them. Never heard of em!
[/quote]

Definately very cool and holy sisters! I can't get away from them! (In a very good way, of course!)

franciscanheart

That house should only be owned by people going into the convent haha! It could just be handed off over and over.

PCPA2Be's Mom

I was with Denise during the time she was "disposing" of her possessions.

One thing, Denise had a very specific list of items she was required to bring. There also was a list of optional items.
There were a few last minute items that Denise called about and was able to bring with her, her computer for community use, rollerblades, her statue of St Therese and other religious books. Those items were donated by Denise to the community for all to use. Any extra personal items including clothes that were not on the list were going to be donated to the group.

Denise gave away 95% of her possessions because she honestly dosn't intend to come back. She gladly gave away her furniture (to her brother who is getting married) and many items. She gave sentimental items to friends and family, I personally received a really cool reef tank (salt water fishtank) a few pictures and rosery.
Many clothing items and things that no one wanted went to catholic charities.

Denise also gave a box to her mother to store, a few sentimental items, journals, pictures etc these items are to be destroyed when Denise makes her vows. Or her mother may keep them if she chooses to do so.

Denise did keep some money in an account to be used to emergencies such as heath issue. The expectation is that the money will be given to family or donated when she makes final vows.

I am sure each community has their own rules about what can be taken with.

I know that giving away everything is very difficut, however Denise totally believes that she has been called to spend the rest of her life with the Lord, "stuff"

Hope that this helps
good luck
Deb

[quote name='shortnun' post='963184' date='Apr 27 2006, 03:58 PM']
Can you bring anything family related? Some pictures or a small photo album? OLAM Dad, Sister Ali, et al, is this your experience as well--that you're allowed to bring something to remind of your family? (Not that you can't just close your eyes and see them! ^_^ )
[/quote]

shortnun-

In answer of your question with School Sisters of Christ the King...we are NOT allowed to bring any family pictures at first, once we make first vows I believe then we can bring one family picture from home. As Sister said....it deals a lot with detachment...and exterior vs. interior....we are moving more from the exterior to the interior life...and don't want pictures etc...to be our focus. Makes sense to me!!! Because family can come and visit once a month... except during Lent and Advent. I can go home twice a year. Hope this answers your question :) Feel free to keep asking.

Ali

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='963444' date='Apr 27 2006, 07:36 PM']
Here's something else I was thinking about: Do the orders give their candidates a copy of Christian Prayer or do they have them purchase their own? I could imagine this being quite an expense if the order goes through a period of rapid growth.
[/quote]

I'm not sure on this one with my community....because I have the four volume set myself already, BUT I do know that all Sisters are suppose to have a four volume set. So I'm not sure if they receive that for free when they enter or not....

Ali

FutureSoror

[quote name='HugheyforLife' date='April 27, 2006']
Here's something else I was thinking about: Do the orders give their candidates a copy of Christian Prayer or do they have them purchase their own? I could imagine this being quite an expense if the order goes through a period of rapid growth.
[/quote]

We buy our own set of the Divine Office for the SMME. It would be rather expensive to buy so many at a time!

[quote name='Veritas' post='962758' date='Apr 27 2006, 11:01 AM']
+

For SMME it is my understanding that we are allowed to bring: :flowers:
blanket (we're thrifty)
postulant outfit
crucifix
bible
catechism
one icon or holy picture to hang

? I'm not sure if we may bring our own rosary... it seems likely...

Not being able to bring books will be the hardest! :surrender:

Pax!
[/quote]
The list actually is quite longer than that, but those are the basics. There are actually a lot of bedding items and linens. We are suppossed to bring our own rosary. :) And we can bring any 2 holy pictures/statues we desire. I'm planning on asking Sister if I can bring some books to add to the library... I'm assuming they won't mind.
:)

+

Yes, I realized after I posted how many details (watch, shoes, etc...) I'd neglected. As for linens, I'm surprised to hear that... a recent donation perhaps? Regarding books, I know Sister JA told me that there just hasn't been room and they've had to reject the wonderful libraries of incoming sisters! However, with the new library maybe there is room...? Let's Hope! :)

FutureSoror

[quote name='Veritas' post='965153' date='Apr 29 2006, 10:18 AM']
+

Yes, I realized after I posted how many details (watch, shoes, etc...) I'd neglected. As for linens, I'm surprised to hear that... a recent donation perhaps? Regarding books, I know Sister JA told me that there just hasn't been room and they've had to reject the wonderful libraries of incoming sisters! However, with the new library maybe there is room...? Let's Hope! :)
[/quote]

Well, if that is the case most of my Dominican/spiritual favorites will probably be there already, then. :)

AlterDominicus

[quote name='FutureSoror' post='964788' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:22 PM']
We buy our own set of the Divine Office for the SMME. It would be rather expensive to buy so many at a time!
The list actually is quite longer than that, but those are the basics. There are actually a lot of bedding items and linens. We are suppossed to bring our own rosary. :) And we can bring any 2 holy pictures/statues we desire. I'm planning on asking Sister if I can bring some books to add to the library... I'm assuming they won't mind.
:)
[/quote]

Cant bring books!!! Are you nuts!!!! :rolleyes: I'd die in SMME if I couldnt bring a couple hard core religious books! Ahhhh...I cant live without Amata Means Beloved. Hahaha. But...Sister Joseph Andrew better let me bring my portrait of Saint Therese, I cant live without that.

PCPA2Be's Mom

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='965591' date='Apr 29 2006, 05:10 PM']
Cant bring books!!! Are you nuts!!!! :rolleyes: I'd die in SMME if I couldnt bring a couple hard core religious books! Ahhhh...I cant live without Amata Means Beloved. Hahaha. But...Sister Joseph Andrew better let me bring my portrait of Saint Therese, I cant live without that.
[/quote]

Denise sent boxes of religious books for the library. PCPA was glad to recieve any donations to their library for the use of all in the community. Denise was able to bring two rosaries, her bible, prayer books for her personal use. She also was able to bring her statue of St Therese to donate to the common areas. She brought her required list of clothing, any extra items would be donated to the group so if she brought 2 sweaters instead of the 1 on the list, the extra one would go into the common bin. She donated her computer, to the community. She was aloud to bring a CD player to play religious music, bible on CD etc. She was told not to bring any linen or bedding and Denise had a special comforter she had to leave behind( her security blanket)

She said that giving away "stuff" was actually a freeing feeling.

I am sure that every community has their own list of acceptable items to bring.

AlterDominicus

Speaking of Rollerblades, that IS my entrance plan. Park a block or three away and Rollerblade to SMME hahaha, Sister Carly had a laugh out of that, besides their driveway JUST got paved. Oooo...how smooothhhhhhh :drool: :lol_sign: :lol_grin:

[quote name='PCPA2Be's Mom' post='965737' date='Apr 29 2006, 11:28 PM']
Denise sent boxes of religious books for the library. PCPA was glad to recieve any donations to their library for the use of all in the community. Denise was able to bring two rosaries, her bible, prayer books for her personal use. She also was able to bring her statue of St Therese to donate to the common areas. She brought her required list of clothing, any extra items would be donated to the group so if she brought 2 sweaters instead of the 1 on the list, the extra one would go into the common bin. She donated her computer, to the community. She was aloud to bring a CD player to play religious music, bible on CD etc. She was told not to bring any linen or bedding and Denise had a special comforter she had to leave behind( her security blanket)

She said that giving away "stuff" was actually a freeing feeling.

I am sure that every community has their own list of acceptable items to bring.
[/quote]

And here I thought...that I was CRAZY.....having the feeling of being free since I have begun to give away my stuff. I guess I'm doing something right ...... :wacko: