An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can non-Catholics ask the Saints for intercession?

Andreas E.

Andreas E.

After you guys explained that the Saints can hear us, and are essentially our friends whom we can ask to pray for us, I have asked St. Dymphna to pray for my wife, as she has a number of mental issues, and also to pray for harmony within the family. My wife has a severe case of postpartum depression, which affects everyone.

My question would be, since I am not a Catholic (yet), would my request fall on deaf ears?

There are many documented miracles of saints interceding on behalf of non-Catholics whom have asked their assistance. Your prayers will be heard.

thessalonian

Most definitely you can pray to them.

Edited by thessalonian

Andreas E.

Thank you for your reassuring words.

BTW, I have been listening to a Catholic radio station in the area. Yesterday morning on my way to work, they were singing the rosary. That was awesome! So beautiful. And yes, it does "drill in" what th Lord has done for us, with the "Hail Mary"s being the background rhythm. More and more I begin to understand that Catholics are not worshipping her.

A distant relative by marriage in Germany, my American wife's American 2nd cousin twice removed married a German in the town I was born - small world or what? - is Catholic. We stayed with them for a night on our most recent trip over there. So we asked the same questions I asked here. At the time it did not make any sense, but I am beginning to understand. Her life and the life of another aunt by marriage have been a great witness to Catholicism. Their steadfast humility and service to others are a true inspiration, and have drawn me to the Church.

you don't have to be Catholic to recieve graces or favors from Heaven. Heaven is open to all who are open to it.

heavenseeker

[quote name='Andreas E.' post='990276' date='May 25 2006, 09:19 AM']
After you guys explained that the Saints can hear us, and are essentially our friends whom we can ask to pray for us, I have asked St. Dymphna to pray for my wife, as she has a number of mental issues, and also to pray for harmony within the family. My wife has a severe case of postpartum depression, which affects everyone.

My question would be, since I am not a Catholic (yet), would my request fall on deaf ears?
[/quote]
The siants are there to help with any prayer nomater who you are or what religion you belong to.

Andreas E.

At this point I am still "reformed."

You know, ever since I have started reading my NKJV through "Catholic" eyes, it makes a lot more sense! Bible verses that before I had a hard time understanding now just give me cause to utter a "duh!" While the Fundamentalists (of which I am still officially a part) claim that they base all their theology on a literal interpretation of the Bible, the more I look at it it's actually Catholicism that does that.

The communion of saints is such an awesome and amazing gift. I love being able to know that when I need a prayer, I can ask the saints and they never let me down. St. Joseph is my go to saint.

Andreas E.

St. Dymphna is mine. As she is the patron saint of the mentally ill and family harmony (of which we need a lot right now), plus that special day she is celebrated (what's the name for it anyway?) also happens to be my birthday. I also like St. Andrew (Andreas) - for obvious reasons. How many Saints are there actually in the catalogue?

You know, another thought came to mind, the saints are just like one of those prayer teams you'll find in evangelical churches. And if evangelicals have no problems writing prayer requests on a card to put in the offering basket, would should they have any qualms about asking our heavenly brethren to do just the same?

The more I read and contemplate Catholicism, the more it comes to life. I have never had such a rich and deep "experience". Ever. I am very much looking forward to attending a mass this weekend.

thessalonian

[quote name='Andreas E.' post='990702' date='May 25 2006, 08:20 PM']
At this point I am still "reformed."

You know, ever since I have started reading my NKJV through "Catholic" eyes, it makes a lot more sense! Bible verses that before I had a hard time understanding now just give me cause to utter a "duh!" While the Fundamentalists (of which I am still officially a part) claim that they base all their theology on a literal interpretation of the Bible, the more I look at it it's actually Catholicism that does that.
[/quote] :lol_roll: :thumbsup:

You have been given great grace to see this. So many cannot. :sadder: Praise the Lord.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='Andreas E.' post='990752' date='May 25 2006, 10:28 PM']
St. Dymphna is mine. As she is the patron saint of the mentally ill and family harmony (of which we need a lot right now), plus that special day she is celebrated (what's the name for it anyway?) also happens to be my birthday.
[/quote]
It's called a feast day. Sharing your birthday with a saint that you feel drawn to is very :cool!:

Happy belated (May 15th) birthday. :)

missionseeker

[quote name='Andreas E.' post='990752' date='May 25 2006, 10:28 PM']
St. Dymphna is mine. As she is the patron saint of the mentally ill and family harmony (of which we need a lot right now), plus that special day she is celebrated (what's the name for it anyway?) also happens to be my birthday. I also like St. Andrew (Andreas) - for obvious reasons. How many Saints are there actually in the catalogue?

You know, another thought came to mind, the saints are just like one of those prayer teams you'll find in evangelical churches. And if evangelicals have no problems writing prayer requests on a card to put in the offering basket, would should they have any qualms about asking our heavenly brethren to do just the same?

The more I read and contemplate Catholicism, the more it comes to life. I have never had such a rich and deep "experience". Ever. I am very much looking forward to attending a mass this weekend.
[/quote]

How many saints... that's a good question. lol Thousands and thousands is all I know.