An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can non-Catholics ask the Saints for intercession?

Andreas E.

thessalonian

I think I heard one time not too long ago that there were around 2000 canonized saints. Ever heard of the incorruptables. These are saints who's bodies have miraculously not decomposed. There are around 200 of these. St. John Veinny, St. Philliop Neri, Theresa the Little Flower etc. etc.. Some look as if they are just sleeping. I don't recall that Dymphnia is one of them however.

Edited by thessalonian

MC IMaGiNaZUN

The miracle attributed to Mother Teresa of Calcutta, that paved the way for her beatification, well that happened to a non-catholic hindu woman.

SHALOM

MichaelFilo

Muslims prayed to Mary and got results in Iraq. I assure you, you who believes as a Catholic does, at least partially, can pray to the saints. It's even a good habit to get into.

God bless,
Mikey

avemaria40

I prayed to the saints before i was Catholic and I know they can hear our prayers, even when we're not yet part of the Church

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Andreas E.' post='990702' date='May 25 2006, 09:20 PM']
At this point I am still "reformed."

You know, ever since I have started reading my NKJV through "Catholic" eyes, it makes a lot more sense! Bible verses that before I had a hard time understanding now just give me cause to utter a "duh!" While the Fundamentalists (of which I am still officially a part) claim that they base all their theology on a literal interpretation of the Bible, the more I look at it it's actually Catholicism that does that.
[/quote]

The more you study a good commentary like Navarre or St Ignatius the more you fall in love with Scripture. Even books like Numbers and Leviticus:)

missionseeker

[quote name='thessalonian' post='991152' date='May 26 2006, 03:23 PM']
I think I heard one time not too long ago that there were around 2000 canonized saints. Ever heard of the incorruptables. These are saints who's bodies have miraculously not decomposed. There are around 200 of these. St. John Veinny, St. Philliop Neri, Theresa the Little Flower etc. etc.. Some look as if they are just sleeping. I don't recall that Dymphnia is one of them however.
[/quote]

I don't think so. If I remember rioght her head was cut off and thrown into a bog or something. I might be confused though.

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='Andreas E.' post='990752' date='May 25 2006, 09:28 PM']
St. Dymphna is mine. As she is the patron saint of the mentally ill and family harmony (of which we need a lot right now), plus that special day she is celebrated (what's the name for it anyway?) also happens to be my birthday. I also like St. Andrew (Andreas) - for obvious reasons. How many Saints are there actually in the catalogue?

You know, another thought came to mind, the saints are just like one of those prayer teams you'll find in evangelical churches. And if evangelicals have no problems writing prayer requests on a card to put in the offering basket, would should they have any qualms about asking our heavenly brethren to do just the same?

The more I read and contemplate Catholicism, the more it comes to life. I have never had such a rich and deep "experience". Ever. I am very much looking forward to attending a mass this weekend.
[/quote]

This is very true, the Saints are like the all-star prayer team. They are the holiest of all the members of our family and are the closest to Christ because Christ is present in them in a deep and mysterious way. Because they are such good imitations of Christ, they also pour themselves out for us like Christ does. There is simply no reason not to turn to them for help.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

indescribable

where can i find where the incorruptables. i've wanted to make a pilgrimage to one of their gravesites.and i want to learn more about them- i used them to try to persuade someone on the validity of religion

missionseeker

[url="http://www.marypages.com/IncorruptBodies.htm"]http://www.marypages.com/IncorruptBodies.htm[/url]

thessalonian

There is a book titled The Incorruptables by Joan Cruz. You I am sure can find it at Amazon or Leaflet Missal or most Catholic book stores. It's a pretty popular book so it shouldn't be hard to find.

missionseeker

At my house, my brothers (9,7,3) love stories of martyrs esp. those that had their heads cut off.

We reffer to them as "the beheadeds'

Proud2BCatholic139

This question had me speculating for a second, because I thought about our Blessed Mother.

Our Lady of Fatima calls everyone to pray the Rosary, this includes Protestants. We need to pray for peace and an end to abortion.

Just how our Blessed Mother calls us to pray the Rosary, which is open to anyone, so too, can anyone ask the intercession of the saints. I mean, isn't that what God wants? Conversion? The problem is, my protestant churches do not beleive our Blessed Mother and the saints are not as important. Also, they don't really understand the point in having statues of Saints and our Lady in the home or anyone as most believe we are "worshiping."

Yes, I do beleive it is ok.