An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you support the Crusades?

Resurrexi

Do you support the Crusades?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jesuspaidtheprice

Didn't your mom ever teach you that when you point one finger at someone else you point four back at yourself? For as much as you like to judge others I hardly ever see you make any kind of cognitive point. Christ talked about judging others and the manner in which it is to be done in the Gospels. If you have a Bible, I would encourage you to look it up. If not you can go to www.gospelcom.net. I still stand on my previous point. I highly doubt in the vast empire of telecommunications and the reorientation of Rome to focus evangelization that we will see any more crusades in the near future.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1019318' date='Jul 7 2006, 01:14 PM']
disobedience! how dare you not accept the pope's teachings!?
[/quote]
StThomasMore, you are silly. You go all crazy because not everyone agrees that the Crusades were such a great thing, yet you still refuse to accept things that you ought to authentically accept, especially in regards to the order of the Mass.

Of course, we love you all the same :) But please, get yourself figured out here.

No, I completely love the NO and accept is if it is just like Cam's parish. If it's not like that than I don't like it at all and think it liturgically abusive.

Justified Saint

It would be hard to say that St. Francis ever "supported" the crusades the way STM defines it. Was the Church wrong to make him a saint?

Of course St. Francis supported the crusades. He may not have participated in them physically, but he most certainally prayed for the Christian soldiers that they would succeed and believed that they were just.

Justified Saint

Actually, he did participate in them physically and gave witness to the power of conversion and persuasion against force and violence.

Justified Saint

Sounds familiar and it wouldn't surprise me (Francis was not a pacifist), but what does that have to do with the crusades?

Justified Saint

Are you really only 12? You should let your parents know you say stuff like that.

I am sorry I wasted my time.

goldenchild17

I do support the Crusades, definitely. Sorry, that totally did nothing to contribute to the thread :D

Edited by goldenchild17

Guest Rick777

I'm not ashamed of it if that's what you mean. Those were brave Christian men, I try and pray for them still......you know just in case.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='pyranima' post='1018644' date='Jul 7 2006, 02:25 AM']
most people dont understand the background of the crusades. i like to put it like this: if i came into your house killed your family and kicked you out do you have a right to take back whats yours and have justice? then why dont we Christians?

think of it this way... If someone took over the Vatican and the area around it would we have the right to march to retake it?

**GRABS SWORD AND SHIELD** "To Rome"
[/quote]

What our Lord asks us to do in these situations, is turn the other cheek.

I often have to think about this Dominican sister I saw in a TV interview. She described her habit and the reasoning behind it. At the end, she pointed at her rosary, commenting "And this is our sword!".

So, feel free to grab your sword and shield! You don't even have to go to Rome. It works long-distance. :D (Although Rome is quite a beautiful city worthy of your visit :) )

Like a Child

[quote name='Crusader_4' post='1018452' date='Jul 6 2006, 01:09 PM']
Am I ashamed of the firebombings of dresden, am I ashamed of the Bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima of course I am. Am I ashamed of WWII of course not. Am I ashamed of the sack of constantinople of course am I ashamed of the Crusades of course not. We must be careful not to judge a war or a crusade by the motives of a few men or the incidents of some. I am completly pro-crusade.
[/quote]

I am ashamed of all war, all bombings, all violence. Christ Himself would not "support the Crusades". He tried (perhaps in vain it seems) to teach us a different way. The Gospels are nothing else if not a roadmap to peace.

And I AM a Catholic, not a "Catholic". The word comes from [i]katholikos[/i] --it means "universal". We may not agree on all points. . .but there is room enough in the Church for you and I.