An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are you a heretic?

Resurrexi

Are you a heretic?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JP2Iloveyou

This thread is inappropriate. Anybody remember the story of the Pharisee and the tax collector in Scripture?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1020875' date='Jul 10 2006, 06:19 AM']
I'm a total heretic. But I try hard not to be.
[/quote]
Doubts do not a heretic make. Only outright denial.

Justified Saint

[quote name='pyranima' post='1020841' date='Jul 9 2006, 10:15 PM']
explain
[/quote]

Heretics dissent from the truth in [b]part[/b]. If in whole then there is some other derogatory word for them like heathen or some such variant.

Edited by Justified Saint

she_who_is_not

I am not a heretic according to any of the heresies I can name. However, I have been briefly led into both Arianism (college christian ethics class) and watered down Nestorianism (RCIA) though I rejected that as soon as I got home and looked it up in the catechism.
But my theologian friend says I must be heretical in some way I am not aware of. She thinks we are all heretics. My education does not suffice for a proper answer.

[quote]Heretics dissent from the truth in part. If in whole then there is some other derogatory word for them like heathen or some such variant.[/quote]

Being called a heathen is not derogatory...it's a well known area of modern paganism. :)

As for me, by Catholic standards I'm a heretic in many ways.

Justified Saint

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1022052' date='Jul 11 2006, 03:21 PM']
Being called a heathen is not derogatory...it's a well known area of modern paganism. :)

As for me, by Catholic standards I'm a heretic in many ways.
[/quote]

Except paganism contains and conceals much of the truth, though I can't be so sure of [i]modern[/i] paganism :)

Concealing the truth in modern paganism is looked down upon, for the most part. There are groups that [i]reveal[/i] the truth after a certain time though, and everyone knows what goes on anyway...
How many Gardnerian Wiccans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
That's a third-degree secret.

Justified Saint

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1023586' date='Jul 13 2006, 07:24 AM']
Concealing the truth in modern paganism is looked down upon, for the most part. There are groups that [i]reveal[/i] the truth after a certain time though, and everyone knows what goes on anyway...
How many Gardnerian Wiccans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
That's a third-degree secret.
[/quote]

In regards to concealing and revealing the truth -- I usually give pagans the benefit of ignorance (i.e. they conceal the truth out of ignorance).

[quote]In regards to concealing and revealing the truth -- I usually give pagans the benefit of ignorance (i.e. they conceal the truth out of ignorance).[/quote]

Reasonable enough. I disagree, but there's not much to say other than I don't think we're ignorant. Not most of us anyways. :)