An Old School Catholic Message Board

Islam = a Roach Motel

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='avemaria40' post='1021737' date='Jul 11 2006, 11:55 AM']
When I think of cults, I think Branch Davidians and the like, not Catholicism. Also, if you believe in Catholicism, you would believe that Christ is still very much alive, that the only time He was dead were those 3 days in the tomb. And people can question dogma, how would you expect others to understand it? and what do you mean we aren't told the whole truth about why we are entering? I'm pretty sure it was spelled out in every book, website, and piece of info I was given. I knew very well what I was getting into before converting to Catholicism, and the irony is, I can be pretty skeptical and cynical about religion and always have been. Of course I was given the whole Truth, otherwise I would have never converted. And guess what? I'm proud to be Catholic and I think it was the best decision I have ever made in my short 17 years on Planet Earth.
[/quote]

You may think of the crazy cults, but technically, by definition, Catholicism could be considered a cult. Christ isn't dead, but He isn't exactly here to follow like I am or you are. People question dogma but can never disagree with it and often when I question it and make a point people can't counterpoint and just tell me it's what God said was right. Catholicism is more than what you're told coming into it, it's a life and that is just hard to adjust to sometimes. They could never explain everything that comes along with the religion, no one can about any religion. The whole Truth lies in Catholicism, but everyone just tells you that can't explain The Truth because it's a 'mystery'.

Gosh we like the capital letters a lot to differentiate words... just $.02...

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Era Might' post='1021805' date='Jul 11 2006, 02:16 PM']
So in a Muslim civilization, does trying to get people to become Christian deserve death...
[/quote]
Actually, converting from Islam places your life in danger... and converting others from Islam in an Islamic state will [i]definitely [/i]get you a death sentence

A woman was stoned to death in Nigeria for preaching Christianity about a week ago
And a while back a Christian was almost put to death in Iraq for converting from Islam to Christian and giving Christian instruction to others, but President Bush pressured Iraq to free the man.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1022836' date='Jul 12 2006, 11:01 AM']
The Islamic world is largely stuck, socially and religiously, in the 6th century Arabia of the prophet Muhammed. They are stuck in an Old Testament view of the world, where Justice and religious identity were very prominent.
The Islamic world CAN come to terms with the modern world, just like Christianity did. But it will take a lot of work, especially from within.
[/quote]

I agree
"Justice and religious identity are very important" ...def true - so this would partly explain why in an Islamic state religious law = state law, and Islamic church IS the state

cathoholic_anonymous

My parents lived in Saudi Arabia, the Muslim heartland, for twenty-five years. I was with them there for eighteen of those years. We've recently moved back to Britain.

Saudi Arabia is one of the strictest Muslim nations going. And yes, I did see (and experience!) anti-Christian discrimination there. In the last few years I was dogged by the fear of being shot dead in the street. But for all the vicious comments about 'infidels', all the bomb threats, and all the unpleasant happenings in the marketplace, I have a Muslim friend.

A lot of Muslims do not take their beliefs from the Qur'an. They take the Qur'an and shape it to justify their own beliefs. The idea that 'outside Islam, there is only death' can be interpreted to mean that all converts out of Islam ought to be killed...but that flatly contradicts the following verse from Surah Al-Kafirun:

[quote]Let there be no compulsion in religion. You go in your way, I in mine.[/quote]

The only logical way to interpret the belief that Islam is the antidote to death is to accept that that particular verse speaks of a spiritual death. The word 'Muslim' need not even refer specifically to someone who follows the Islamic religion; it just means 'one who submits'. ('Islam' itself can be translated as either peace or submission - it has components from both words.) The word 'kafir', often translated as unbeliever, literally means 'one who is ungrateful to God'. Consequently there are Muslims who argue that there are ingrates within the Islamic religion and that there are believers who follow other faiths.

Without my Muslim friends, I probably wouldn't be such a strong Catholic today. In the Muslim world it is quite common for someone to break off in the middle of a phone conversation to say, "I need to pray now. Can you call back in fifteen minutes?" God seems to get in on every conversation - Muslims pepper their speech with phrases like "Insh'Allah" (God willing), "Subhan'Allah" (God be praised), and "Astagfir'Allah" (God forgive me). Hearing all this taught me that God is important and that praying matters much more than chatting with your friends on the 'phone. Interfaith dialogue goes two ways - there is a lot we can learn from Muslims and after my experiences in the Middle East I have a tremendous level of respect for this religion.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1024462' date='Jul 14 2006, 01:36 PM']In the Muslim world it is quite common for someone to break off in the middle of a phone conversation to say, "I need to pray now. Can you call back in fifteen minutes?" God seems to get in on every conversation - Muslims pepper their speech with phrases like "Insh'Allah" (God willing), "Subhan'Allah" (God be praised), and "Astagfir'Allah" (God forgive me). Hearing all this taught me that God is important and that praying matters much more than chatting with your friends on the 'phone. Interfaith dialogue goes two ways - there is a lot we can learn from Muslims and after my experiences in the Middle East I have a tremendous level of respect for this religion.
[/quote]
Very true. I used to park at a garage nearby, and one of the attendants who worked in the booth would get on his knees every afternoon about 5 and pray. He would ignore the cars until he was finished.

[quote name='zwergel88' post='1023833' date='Jul 13 2006, 10:46 PM']
Why is everyone always angry with the Muslims?
[/quote]
:idontknow: Some think it is the biggest threat to Catholicism. I don't, although I am sometimes very frustrated with my personal situation.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1024462' date='Jul 14 2006, 06:36 PM']
A lot of Muslims do not take their beliefs from the Qur'an. They take the Qur'an and shape it to justify their own beliefs.

Without my Muslim friends, I probably wouldn't be such a strong Catholic today. [/quote]
I agree. I do pray that one day (soon) Muslims will come to believe in the crucifixion, and that 'Isa was more than a messenger, that he is God.

CatholicCid

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1023579' date='Jul 13 2006, 08:14 AM']
And a while back a Christian was almost put to death in Iraq for converting from Islam to Christian and giving Christian instruction to others, but President Bush pressured Iraq to free the man.
[/quote]

This is what the actual letter from the OP is refering to.

Abdul Rahman was an Afghan who was arrested in Feb (2006) and would have been sentenced to death and executed for his conversion to Christianity if the article had not caught international attention, pressuring the Afghan Govt to release him (I think they called him mentally unfit for trial).
He's now in Italy after recieving asylum from them.

[quote name='track2004' post='1023458' date='Jul 13 2006, 12:27 AM']
Catholicism is more than what you're told coming into it, it's a life and that is just hard to adjust to sometimes.
Gosh we like the capital letters a lot to differentiate words... just $.02...
[/quote]
It was hard to adjust to but I knew from the beginning that it is a life and not just a belief system. Everyone I know in the Catholic Church told me this from the beginning

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]It was hard to adjust to but I knew from the beginning that it is a life and not just a belief system. Everyone I know in the Catholic Church told me this from the beginning[/quote]

Similarly, the first surah of the Qur'an emphasises that Islam is a way of life and not just something you keep for the mosque on Fridays. (There it is referred to as 'the straight path'.) There are Friday Muslims just as there are Sunday Christians, but practising Muslims will quite happily let you know that their Islam is a lifestyle, and not just a set of beliefs - it is not something they tend to hide. The Muslims who tried to convert me used to tell me this on a regular basis - they saw it as one of Islam's selling points. (They've since given up on the conversion attempts. :thumbsup: )

• 2 weeks later...
Lounge Daddy

[quote name='zwergel88' post='1023833' date='Jul 13 2006, 05:46 PM']
Why is everyone always angry with the Muslims? We gotta be nicer to our Middle Eastern pals.
[/quote]

If I am not mistaken ...we have no problem with Muslims - I sure do not
we do have a huge problem with Islam

the supposed religion of peace is a lie
it was founded by a murderer and warrior who spread his religion by force; and his successors took advantage of other nations who used appeasement and pacifism.

This is the next crusade and we are not responding in kind
We may very well lose

Lounge Daddy

[img]http://www.jihadwatch.org/20060722London02.jpg[/img]
LONDON

where is the Muslim outcry?

Lounge Daddy

[img]http://www.jihadwatch.org/20060722Sydney01.jpg[/img]
Sydney

i get a kick out of the Nazi = Jew carp
but then again, these are people who claim the Jewish Holocaust never even happened. these sick... freaking people