An Old School Catholic Message Board

I have the right to go the speed limit.

qfnol31

[quote name='scardella' post='1021735' date='Jul 11 2006, 12:54 PM']
There are also those who drive fast simply because it is more fun and/or challenging.
[/quote]

I can't wait till I can drive fast. Right now, it's kind of scary, lol. Then again, I'm learning stick shift.

Sry for hijacking. Please return to your scheduled program :)

[quote name='avemaria40' post='1021741' date='Jul 11 2006, 11:57 AM']
I can't wait till I can drive fast. Right now, it's kind of scary, lol. [b]Then again, I'm learning stick shift.[/b]
[/quote]

You're awesome. I haven't yet had the chance...

it's fun, but you have to be careful you don't stall on a hill, otherwise you start going backwards and then it's scary, lol

I drive a manual, have for years. Love it.

And I love driving fast ... not because of the patience factor -- just for the fun of it. I do try to be cautious though. You won't catch me driving fast on snowy roads.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1021811' date='Jul 11 2006, 03:20 PM']
Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway. I'm an excellent driver.
[/quote]
:lol_roll:

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1021807' date='Jul 11 2006, 01:17 PM']
And I love driving fast ... not because of the patience factor -- just for the fun of it. I do try to be cautious though. You won't catch me driving fast on snowy roads.
[/quote]

Ditto on that one... I once took a particularly tight curve (w/ broken pavement) at maybe 15-20 miles/hr (speed limit 35) when there was a big puddle across the surface... I spun about 1 1/2 times. I think I might have suddenly let up on the gas, perhaps. It was a freak thing, I think, but nobody was hurt and there wasn't any damage or collisions. It sure was fun, though! I try to remind myself that I only have about half the traction I normally do when it's wet...

[quote name='scardella' post='1021830' date='Jul 11 2006, 03:30 PM']
Ditto on that one... I once took a particularly tight curve (w/ broken pavement) at maybe 15-20 miles/hr (speed limit 35) when there was a big puddle across the surface... I spun about 1 1/2 times. I think I might have suddenly let up on the gas, perhaps. It was a freak thing, I think, but nobody was hurt and there wasn't any damage or collisions. It sure was fun, though! I try to remind myself that I only have about half the traction I normally do when it's wet...
[/quote]
I hit an icy patch once on an interstate ramp on a very snowy Christmas Eve. If there hadn't been snow packed on both sides of the ramp I would've hit the guard rail ... and I wasn't going more than 10 mph. :pinch:

Driving in snow and other less-than-ideal conditions can be fun ... but it's still nerve-wracking from time to time.

Jesuspaidtheprice

There is something about a thread like this when the 4 year old nephew of another forum member was recently hit and killed by a car.

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1021845' date='Jul 11 2006, 03:39 PM']
There is something about a thread like this when the 4 year old nephew of another forum member was recently hit and killed by a car.
[/quote]
Not to denigrate that tragedy, but this thread really doesn't have anything to do with that incident. I don't know why you would bring that up here.

Jesuspaidtheprice

Quite on the other hand, the person driving the car likely wasn't even breaking the law, but Catholics here believe it is perfectly acceptable to break the law in a motor vehicle every time they personally think it is acceptable. Seems quite contrary to how Catholics usually feel about authority.

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1021845' date='Jul 11 2006, 01:39 PM']
[/quote]

I'm sorry if it bothers you, and it stinks that that happened. I think it's safe to assume that nobody in here is advocating or condoning flying down residential streets at 40-50 mph. I'm all for rational laws and rational drivers.

I just think that the laws are far oriented towards anal-retentive/lowest common denominator/making money for police departments. I just think it's perfectly ok to use the full potential of your car on a deserted curvy road on a warm dry day. I'm all for race tracks too. Unfortunately, there's none within an hour's drive of me.

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1021855' date='Jul 11 2006, 02:55 PM']Quite on the other hand, the person driving the car likely wasn't even breaking the law, but Catholics here believe it is perfectly acceptable to break the law in a motor vehicle every time they personally think it is acceptable. Seems quite contrary to how Catholics usually feel about authority.
[/quote]
The Catholic approach to civil law, basically, is "the law was made for man, not man for the law".

Catholicism is a remarkably nuanced religion. You'd be surprised.

Anyway, do what you feel is right. If you feel you have to stay at or below the speed limit on the highway, ease your conscience and do it.