An Old School Catholic Message Board

RomeOPhobic

pyranima

Main Entry: pho·bia
Pronunciation: 'fO-bE-&
Function: noun
Etymology: -phobia
: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

I think alot of Protestants are RomeoPhobics, i think that many Protestants are simply afraid of Catholicism because that has been bread into them. what do you think?

Edited by pyranima

[quote name='pyranima' post='1029477' date='Jul 23 2006, 10:19 AM']
I think alot of Protestants are RomeoPhobics, i think that many Protestants are simply afraid of Catholicism because that has been bread into them. what do you think?
[/quote]
I agree. I recently sent a TOB 10 CD set to a prot friend who's husband is having an affair. She really liked the talk until Christopher West prayed a 'hail mary.' She refused to listen to any more.

I think most people are ignorant of other religions, and afraid to an extent, including Catholics. It's understandable; we just need to do a better job with dialogue.

ilovechrist

[quote name='Era Might' post='1029538' date='Jul 23 2006, 01:26 PM']
I think most people are ignorant of other religions, and afraid to an extent, including Catholics. It's understandable; we just need to do a better job with dialogue.
[/quote]

i couldn't agree more. for an example of this--a quite humorous one really--my roommate and i were discussing things to get before moving into our dorms @ Belmont Abbey in the fall. we noted that on our "sheets of advice" that we can't bring a microwave into the dorm due to it being a fire hazard.

one of our band members, who is Baptist, didn't hear the whole conversation and responded with "WHOA. being Catholic means you can't even own a microwave? you people [b]ARE[/b] crazy!"

:rolleyes:
i love 'em to death... but he just doesn't get it sometimes. and i guess it goes the same for us when they speak of their beliefs.

missionseeker

I agree.

I've been asked questions like "Can you eat cereal" Can you use electricty ect, ect (credit cards, also)

MissScripture

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1029738' date='Jul 23 2006, 10:02 PM']
I agree.

I've been asked questions like "Can you eat cereal" Can you use electricty ect, ect (credit cards, also)
[/quote]

Can you eat cereal? Seriously? That's funny!

Like a Child

I grew up Nazarene (it's a small Protestant congregation) and we couldn't dance, go to movies, rollerskate, date, listen to secular music. . .and come to think of it, I don't think we ate cereal either.

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1029738' date='Jul 23 2006, 09:02 PM']
I agree.

[/quote]
Evidently, someone has the Catholics confused with the Amish.

Weird.

MissScripture

[quote name='Like a Child' post='1030682' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:13 PM']
I grew up Nazarene (it's a small Protestant congregation) and we couldn't dance, go to movies, rollerskate, date, listen to secular music. . .and come to think of it, I don't think we ate cereal either.
[/quote]
I have some friends that are baptist and they made fun of one church they attended for a while (then they moved) because they weren't allowed to dance, but they could "move to music."

[quote name='pyranima' post='1029477' date='Jul 23 2006, 09:19 AM']
Main Entry: pho·bia
Pronunciation: 'fO-bE-&
Function: noun
Etymology: -phobia
: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

[/quote]

It hasn't been BRED into them--they have good reason to fear. Many Protestants were burnt at the stake by Roman Catholics. "Heretics" of all kinds all over Europe: Albigensians in the south of France ("Burn them all-God will seek out His own"), over 350 Protestants burnt by Bloody Mary in England, Calvinists, Lutherans in Europe and Jews in Spain, Jews in MEXICO CITY. Jewish Spaniards, the crypto-Jews, fled Spain to Mexico ahead of the Inquisition and into New Mexico from Mexico City when the Inquisition started burning Jews there. There are descendants of those crypto-Jews in New Mexico who have re-discovered their Jewish roots and, long converted to Catholicism, have converted back to Judaism. The Hutterites vividly remember their tortures and burnings by Catholics, immortalized by engravings which I have seen--horrible--

Fear dies hard. The Inquisition and Bloody Mary are still remembered and will be for a long time. Like the Nazis and the Holocaust will be remembered for many hundreds of years.

Protestants have good reason to be afraid of anyone who will assault their freedom of religion, guaranteed under the Constitution of the United States, which was written by former English who vividly remembered the horrors of European Catholicism. I fear it too, and will fight any assault upon the Constitution.

son_of_angels

As G.K. Chesterton said, an open mind is like an open mouth it's meant to close on something. Believe me when I say that, when dealing with Protestants, the key to evangelism is to believe what one believes with conviction, explain that we believe all truly baptized to be part of the body of Christ, and have fervor in explaining Catholic doctrine.
If Protestants have something to fear, it is the fear of those who are faced with the reality of their own faith, and can't handle it. They need another fear, the fear of judgment and damnation if they do not follow the truth.

"Grant that I may praise Thee, holy Virgin; Give me strength against Thy enemies."

Amen, jkaands! It's naive and unreasonable to think Protestants do not have, or ever had, any reason to fear or reject Rome or Catholics. As if Catholics were always perfect... You must admit, Luther had legitimate beefs against the institutional practices of the Catholic church. Argue one way or the other, but admit the Catholics have their problems that certainly fail to encourge people to become Catholic or remain Catholic.

son_of_angels

Perhaps, but Luther was also an anti-semitical, bipolar heretic who told people to "sin, and sin boldly!" Most of the other heretics from that people follow suit.

The real reformers during that period were in the Council of Trent.

As I said, Protestants DO have something to fear, and that's ok.

Perhaps, but Luther was also an anti-semitical, bipolar heretic who told people to "sin, and sin boldly!" Most of the other heretics from that period follow suit.

[quote name='son_of_angels' post='1031045' date='Jul 26 2006, 05:12 AM']
Perhaps, but Luther was also an anti-semitical, bipolar heretic who told people to "sin, and sin boldly!" Most of the other heretics from that people follow suit.

Perhaps, but Luther was also an anti-semitical, bipolar heretic who told people to "sin, and sin boldly!" Most of the other heretics from that period follow suit.

[/quote]

Nobody said that Luther was perfect. Everyone knows of Luther's imperfections.

Protestests don't worship their founders and reformers. They don't create saints, which I think is a great advantage.

Your protestations are wasted. Roman Catholics should thank the Protestant reformers for the Council of Trent...or whatever.

MissScripture

[quote name='jkaands' post='1031185' date='Jul 26 2006, 10:15 AM']
Nobody said that Luther was perfect. Everyone knows of Luther's imperfections.

Protestests don't worship their founders and reformers. They don't create saints, which I think is a great advantage.

Your protestations are wasted. Roman Catholics should thank the Protestant reformers for the Council of Trent...or whatever.
[/quote]
Actually, many of them do hold Luther in very high regards and gloss over the parts where he was anti-semetic and bipolar (and I've heard OCD, as well), ...They also gloss over the part where he didn't actually want to break completely with the Church.