An Old School Catholic Message Board

60th Birthday of the Bikini

Lil Red

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now that I have the stomach to wear them, I like them. Just don't wear them to water parks, and cover-ups in the sun for those of fairer skin, such as myself, are a very good idea.

homeschoolmom

My last (I guess current) swimsuit is a tankini. But good luck trying to get me to wear it. I'm not a fan of the bikini in general. I only got the tankini because it was actually more modest than all the one pieces.

I don't like them... especially not when they're twice the price of all one-piece bathing suits with only 1/4 the fabric.

CoffeeCatholic

After many many years of lifeguarding and teaching swimming lessons i have 2 things to say:

1) NEVER EVER EVER on a child younger than oh, say, 60. (but seriously, younger than 10)

and

2) Just like condoms, Bikinis fail.

that is all.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1041568' date='Aug 11 2006, 02:05 PM']
indifferent.

If I had the body for it I would wear one. But I don't so I don't.
[/quote]

I'm sort of the same way, since I only swim in a private setting it wouldn't bother me owning one. Even pre-kids I was rather self-conscious about my bod so I wore one pieces and board shorts in public. Now its a tankini and board shorts. lol

[quote]Certain fashions are going to be introduced which will offend Our Lord very much. Those who serve God should not follow these fashions.

--Our Lady of Fatima[/quote]
That about sums up what I think of bikinis.

Oh, in the interests of learning something new every day, did you know the first atomic bomb was dropped on bikini island, whence comes the name "bikini"? Now you do.

i feel the need to move this thread--trouble is i dont know where...

you know, kind of echoing Era---i think they were designed by satan.

Interesting that Life on the Rock was about pure fashion for girls last night..

[quote name='Seven77' post='1041634' date='Aug 11 2006, 05:08 PM']i feel the need to move this thread--trouble is i dont know where...

you know, kind of echoing Era---i think they were designed by satan.

Interesting that Life on the Rock was about pure fashion for girls last night..
[/quote]
I find it interesting that a lot of the original comments in this thread were from women (not to take anything major from that, just an observation). I imagine male and female perceptions of a bikini would be very different. For women it's probably just a piece of clothing. For men it's an occasion of sin.

:(

I think it's about being comfortable while swimming and sun-bathing. (Entirely swimming for me, since I burn up in less than 5 minutes...no joke!) In one piece bathing suits, it starts to feel very restricted after a while, though they do have lots of merits. More skin cover (both for modesty and health reasons), and they don't slip off on water rides, as I saw just yesterday at a park, given, the girl was wearing a tie-bikini.

franciscanheart

They are on occassion for sin for men AND women. Let's not forget that not everyone is heterosexual. It can be an occassion for sins of purity and pride.