An Old School Catholic Message Board

60th Birthday of the Bikini

Lil Red

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

franciscanheart

How are bikinis ever tasteful? (Pardon any negative offense. I surely do not mean it. I am truly interested in the answer.)

btw - I noticed that Lil Red has yet to divulge her own opinion. I'm curious. :detective:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1041667' date='Aug 11 2006, 06:18 PM']They are on occassion for sin for men AND women. Let's not forget that not everyone is heterosexual. It can be an occassion for sins of purity and pride.[/quote]
True. But, I think in general a lot of women don't think about how men will see them. Their intent isn't necessarily to incite lust, it's just not something that comes into their mind. It's like how a non-alcoholic can stare at a bottle of beer and not feel the slightest temptation, while an alcoholic can't even be near it. The non-alcoholic doesn't know what the other feels like, and if he drinks alcohol around him, it's probably not meant to lead him into sin; he just doesn't realize that he's a stumbling block.

I guess some cultures walk around naked, and I gotta hand it to the men of the culture, I guess it doesn't phase them. I wish all men were like that!

franciscanheart

I think it depends on the culture you were given at birth. If you had always seen women naked, I doubt it would be such a temptation to see American girls in tiny skirts.

I just really believe there is sin to be had on both sides. Or at least temptation to sin. It is a potential violation of purity and humility.

I don't like them. I find them immodest and I don't like the idea of people lusting after me (sexual harrassment in the past even though I'm good about modesty :( ) Also, I'm fair skinned and burn easily, esp. on the back and shoulders. I find that underwear is often more modest than bikinis and I love to swim so I would be worried about it coming off in the water.

However, I got the cutest tankini this summer :) It's very modest, the bottom has a skirt attached which covers everything and it is way less cleavage baring than most one piece bathing suits I see. I've had a lot of fun swimming this summer, as well as going to Six Flags for a trip with my youth group :D:

Can you picture Our Lady in a bikini? Probably not, but if you can, do you think it is something that her Son would approve of?

franciscanheart

I'm inclined to board shorts (like Icey), swim shorts, and swim shirts (body gloves). If given a choice between the two bottoms I mentioned, I would go with board shorts in a heartbeat. They aren't as form fitting. In case you haven't seen them...

[img]http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/coacho8/757.JPG[/img]

this is the 'safest' site (as far as modesty of the models) to view both for men and women: [url="http://www.solartex.com/Search.bok?no.show.inprogress=1&sredir=1&category=Adults-Sun+Protective+Wear"]Solartex Sun Gear, Inc.[/url] It also had the best selection of the 'safe' sites.

If you are looking for something well known, [url="http://www.bodyglove.com/index.html"]Body Glove[/url] is good but you should probably only view the products meant for your sex.

missionseeker

I don't like them. Both for modesty and as I see no one has metioned it, who wants to see a 200 lb woman wearing a bikini? (I have seen several) I'm glad you got self confidence and all but come on.

[color="blue"] I don't really like them. I like waring tankinis and one pieces. Bikinis should be for like, wearing under board shorts and shirts when swimming. :idontknow: if they should be used at all.
[/color]

franciscanheart

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1041852' date='Aug 11 2006, 09:46 PM']
I don't like them. Both for modesty and as I see no one has metioned it, who wants to see a 200 lb woman wearing a bikini? (I have seen several) I'm glad you got self confidence and all but come on.
[/quote]
I have to say, missionseeker, that you have lost respect with me. I am completely disgusted at your response. It lacks love of your brethren in all conditions. Such comments are unnecessary and certainly unappreciated. A fat woman is no less beautiful in the eyes of our Lord than a woman that is thin. Your blatant disrespect for someone who, in your eyes, is far from perfect makes my stomach turn. I am truly disappointed.

It sickens me that this is the view of so many phatmassers...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Era Might' post='1041720' date='Aug 11 2006, 06:23 PM']
True. But, I think in general a lot of women don't think about how men will see them. [/quote]
Sadly, I think many do.

I do not approve of bikinis in the least. As a woman, I find them to be very offensive to myself and disrespectful to men. I wear a tasteful tankini with a skirt when I go swimming, and my guy friend never ceases to thank me for choosing that option. He often talks very openly with me about his struggle with women's immodest clothing, especially in the swimsuit department. So, gals, cover up!