An Old School Catholic Message Board

60th Birthday of the Bikini

Lil Red

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pontifite 7 of 10

The woman who wear Bakinis are basicly saying "I don't care if you go to Hell, cas long as I look 'good'."

Edited by Pontifite 7 of 10

I don't like em beacuse I think they are too revealing and can be a serious occasion of sin for dudes. However I think alot has to do with the wearer. If a girl is walkin all over town in one etc --> not good. But if she puts something on over it before and after swimming i guess thats ok

Domine ut Videam

Wow.....these responses are really mixed. I wish that the LT forum was up because we had a HUGE thread going with a debate on the topic of bikinis. It went on and on. And in the end the general consensus that the teens reached was this though: (I would link it, but the site is down for upgrades)

that bikinis are immodest because they are an occasion of sin for males, and because you are blatantly revealing something so sacred to the whole world, your womb; the stomache. There was a huge well backed up arugument about the sacredness of the stomache and how it is a holy temple for women and it should be covered. I can't remember it all.....just something to think about.

I just thought it was cool that this was the most popular topic on the threads for days at LT and that the majority of these teens decided that bikinis were indeed immodest and that they really shouldn't be worn. :D:

Also, the leading guys to sin part. That is just not cool. If we ladies can just wear a more modest swimsuit.....and thus help out the guys in avioding sin.....why won't we? Is it because we are selfish, prideful? Do we want to flaunt our bodies around? We must remember that they are temples of God and that Christ is in every one of us.

I myself just think in regards to swimsuits and other close and modesty that if i were going out with Jesus to hang out..............would I wear it? ;)

-Yours in Christ
Lauren

As I said, I think they're just much more comfortable. I do like those body glove shirts though, I have one of my own. Believe it or not though, there are some tasteful bikinis...hard to find, but they're out there! :)

missionseeker

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1042009' date='Aug 12 2006, 12:41 AM']
I have to say, missionseeker, that you have lost respect with me. I am completely disgusted at your response. It lacks love of your brethren in all conditions. Such comments are unnecessary and certainly unappreciated. A fat woman is no less beautiful in the eyes of our Lord than a woman that is thin. Your blatant disrespect for someone who, in your eyes, is far from perfect makes my stomach turn. I am truly disappointed.

It sickens me that this is the view of so many phatmassers...
[/quote]

I didn't even realise that it sounded that way. I [i]really[/i] should have and I should have thought more about what I posted. It is very uncharitable. I didn't mean for it to sound that way. Although I don;t know how I could have thought it wouldn't. Maybe because I have heard many of my overweight friends say stuff like that? I surely don't mean to imply that fat women are are far from perfect or any less loved by God.

Truly sorry and ashamed.

wow, i always wear a bikini to the beach with my family because i find it much more comfortable. i generally wear a one-piece when i'm with friends or at a pool. and i had voted that i like them! but now iw ish i could go back and change my vote! before this, the only time that i had ever been opposed by bikinis is when i see pregnant women on the beach because in my opinion (and i think in most people's here?), a pregnant belly should not be flaunted to the whole world.

but i guess that now after reading this i'll wear my one-piece more often. i can't stand the feeling of wet clothing, so i don't wear shorts or tee-shirts into the water...but maybe i should!
thanks guys!

......guys. speaking of guys. you should wear tee-shirts while walking up and down the beach because believe it or don't, we girls are just as guilty of lust as you are! :covereyes: just a suggestion. :idontknow:

SeekingHisPlan

I wore bikinis when I was very much younger....say 11 or 12 and swimming with female friends of the same age in someone's home pool.

Now, at 23, I wouldn't wear a bikini. For one, I don't have the body for it. For another, I wouldn't walk around in public, or even in my own backyard in my undergarments. Why are bikini's any different?

i think there are modest tankinis out there, and immodest one pieces. bikinis/tankinis should NEVER be worn by a girl younger than 13.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1041757' date='Aug 11 2006, 08:52 PM']
Can you picture Our Lady in a bikini? Probably not, but if you can, do you think it is something that her Son would approve of?
[/quote]

For the sake of argument, can you picture Our Lady in a t-shirt and shorts?

From this guy's perspective, I don't know that there's a lot of difference between a bikini and a one-piece... if the girl's hot and I'm inclined at the time to check her out, I'm gonna check her out even she's dressed relatively modestly. In fact, sometimes I'm probably more likely to check out the modestly dressed girl either because I feel less guilty about it or I'm generally less attracted to the type of girl who shows off all the goods.

But I don't want to make excuses... and as far as a modest bikini goes, which someone mentioned, I think she meant the type that have more than a little string holding everything together and manage to cover most of the cleavage.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I'm not a fan of swimsuits all together... I just bought a one piece 'old-lady' style swimsuit for when my sister and cousin were begging me to go to the water park with them... My little sister, who is 11 wore a tankini, and still had a misshap, and being 11, uh, not a good thing... my cousin, much older than I am (25 or so I think...) wore a bikini... She had a number of mishaps on the waterslides. This was the first time I had been swiming in years...

And seriously, it is like we are walking around in under wear... We have almost systematically been removing more and more layers of clothing over the years... (Some of the things we wear everyday that are somewhat modest would have been considered underwear some 60/70 years ago) I really am not a fan of modern fashion... I just got myself a few ankle length skirts (with no slits in them) for the fall and beyond and according to both my mom and little sister, I dress like an old lady.

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1043589' date='Aug 14 2006, 08:54 AM']
i think there are modest tankinis out there, and immodest one pieces. bikinis/tankinis should NEVER be worn by a girl younger than 13.
[/quote]
If they shouldn't be worn by girls under 13, why should they be worn by girls/women over 13?
(I'm not following your logic here.)

It's only when they're in their teens and older that females exposing their flesh becomes a source of temptation for most men.

sorry i didn't make myself clear. <_< i don't think bikinis should be worn, because they are immodest (i think tankinis are less so). i [u]really[/u] don't think bikinis should be worn by girls younger than 13 because why would you expose your daughter to that kind of leering by older men?

is that more clear?

franciscanheart

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1043662' date='Aug 14 2006, 12:57 PM']
For the sake of argument, can you picture Our Lady in a t-shirt and shorts?

From this guy's perspective, I don't know that there's a lot of difference between a bikini and a one-piece... if the girl's hot and I'm inclined at the time to check her out, I'm gonna check her out even she's dressed relatively modestly. In fact, sometimes I'm probably more likely to check out the modestly dressed girl either because I feel less guilty about it or I'm generally less attracted to the type of girl who shows off all the goods.

But I don't want to make excuses... and as far as a modest bikini goes, which someone mentioned, I think she meant the type that have more than a little string holding everything together and manage to cover most of the cleavage.
[/quote]
which is why i'm a fan of long skirts and non-tight-fitting shirts :thumbsup:

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1043684' date='Aug 14 2006, 01:45 PM']
I'm not a fan of swimsuits all together... I just bought a one piece 'old-lady' style swimsuit for when my sister and cousin were begging me to go to the water park with them... My little sister, who is 11 wore a tankini, and still had a misshap, and being 11, uh, not a good thing... my cousin, much older than I am (25 or so I think...) wore a bikini... She had a number of mishaps on the waterslides. This was the first time I had been swiming in years...

And seriously, it is like we are walking around in under wear... We have almost systematically been removing more and more layers of clothing over the years... (Some of the things we wear everyday that are somewhat modest would have been considered underwear some 60/70 years ago) I really am not a fan of modern fashion... I just got myself a few ankle length skirts (with no slits in them) for the fall and beyond and according to both my mom and little sister, I dress like an old lady.
[/quote]
ditto... on all accounts. :topsy: (they even think some of my shoes are 'old lady' shoes :rolleyes: oh well)

proud wearer of long skirts since winter 2005/spring 2006 :cool:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1044037' date='Aug 15 2006, 11:10 AM']
sorry i didn't make myself clear. <_< i don't think bikinis should be worn, because they are immodest (i think tankinis are less so). i [u]really[/u] don't think bikinis should be worn by girls younger than 13 because why would you expose your daughter to that kind of leering by older men?

is that more clear?
[/quote]

I agree with that because sadly, people have forgotten how vulnerable children are and don't realize how easily they are taken advantage of. When I was 13 and trying on bathing suits, I was mad that my mom didn't let me get a bikini, but now at 17, I'm grateful that she didn't because I am more aware of the attention (good and bad) girls get from men and I strongly believe we should protect young girls from any potential harm.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1044046' date='Aug 15 2006, 10:27 AM']
which is why i'm a fan of long skirts and non-tight-fitting shirts :thumbsup:

ditto... on all accounts. :topsy: (they even think some of my shoes are 'old lady' shoes :rolleyes: oh well)

proud wearer of long skirts since winter 2005/spring 2006 :cool: [/quote]
Young people dressing 'old-lady' style, unite!