An Old School Catholic Message Board

Out & In ~ RCIA ~ Revolving Doors ~ Evangelism

Eutychus

As odd as this sounds, every Tuesday night I have dinner with the local RCIA director for two smaller parishes. As you might expect, the ongoing discussion is around the Roman church and what I have been discussing online for the past week.

Last tuesday, I was commenting to him, that our local church's new member class, which is hosted every other month, or six times a year, had 33 candidates, as I always do, I ask how many were formerly Roman Catholics, and in line with every other time for the past two years, 60% or thereabouts raised their hands. That means our ONE church is taking in over a hundred ex Roman Catholics a year, and that is only the ones that bother to join, as you know, many come for years and never formally join.

Now we are a decent sized church, evangelical/pentecostal/bible heavy, and we are in the same exact marketplace as my friend the RCIA director. He never believes it when we compare notes, since last year they had TWO candidates, and the year before one.

Interestingly enough, they appointed him Evangelism Major Domo { I really don't remember the title he used } this year too. So we were talking about Evangelism. Oddly, and sadly, the poor man didn't have a CLUE what evangelism WAS, other than to get back lapsed Roman Catholics into the pews. When I started teaching him that evangelism was going out, and getting converts for CHRIST, getting people saved, he gave me that patented "deer in the headlights look" that I always get from Romanists when you try and tell them that Christianity is not a church, but a message and a relationship.

Anyway, knowing he did not have any idea whatsoever what I was trying to communicate, I gave him some generic evangelism materials from this group, who NEVER not ONCE mention any denomination whatsoever in their evangelism efforts.

[img]http://www.livingwaters.com/images/_images_icons/wotmr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.livingwaters.com/images/-images_all/evangelism.jpg[/img]

It should be interesting to see if:

One - he even bothered to look at the videos.

Two- he can understand that evangelism is not church growth.

Three- the goal is salvation, not putting butts into the pews.

[url="http://www.livingwaters.com/"]IF YOU WANT TO SEE THEM IN ACTION, CLICK HERE[/url]

Edited by Eutychus

So your point is? ...Nevermind.

I don't even care enough to respond. Our Lord will always triumph. You can boast about who goes to your Church if it makes you feel good. My faith is in Christ, and you certainly aren't going to disturb it.

Edited by Era Might

[quote] Nobody cares who goes to your Church, because Christ will triumph in the end. If his will is in you, so be it. If it is in the Catholic Church, so be it. [/quote]

His 'church' does not get a capital 'C'. Only the Holy Catholic Church whose current visible head is HH Pope Benedict XVI and the sui juris Churches within Her get a capital 'C'

well, it's incorrect and makes it look like you belive his 'church' is a sui juris Church in the Catholic Church or is the Holy Catholic Church Herself.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Era Might' post='1041631' date='Aug 11 2006, 02:48 PM']
Perhaps you should report me to my Bishop.
[/quote]
:lol: :hehehe: oh.... :mellow:

[quote][u] Nobody cares who goes to your Church,[/u] because Christ will triumph in the end. If his will is in you, so be it. If it is in the Catholic Church, so be it.[/quote]

Apparently the 100+ ex catholics each year do....

... but hey, who cares about THEM?

After all they are lower than Muslims, Muslims are brothers in with the Catholic Church as evidenced by CCC #841, whereas ex-Catholics are just about the only ones that the Catholic Church still considers heretics.

I guess if we were Hindu or Buddhists, the pope would send us greetings each year, and invite us to pow-wows, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

:rolleyes:

[quote]His 'church' does not get a capital 'C'. Only the Holy Catholic Church whose current visible head is HH Pope Benedict XVI and the sui juris Churches within Her get a capital 'C' [/quote]
[size=3][color="#660000"]
[b]OK, you can have the Captial C.[/b][/color][/size]

We will just take 15% of your members, each and every year, and consider it a fair trade, OK?

:lol_roll: :drool:

[quote] Is your patronizing tone a deliberate choice, or is it just the way you naturally relate to others?[/quote]

Five years of interacting online with hard core Catholics, I guess what you see is the residual from all the arrogance and PRIDE one continually encounters ... as I have ON THIS THREAD too...

[img]http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/sharky.gif[/img]

[size=4]WITH A [b]CAPITAL [u]"C"[/u] [/b]nevertheless![/size]

Edited by Eutychus

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1041647' date='Aug 11 2006, 04:34 PM']Five years of interacting online with hard core Catholics, I guess what you see is the residual from all the arrogance and PRIDE one continually encounters ... as I have ON THIS THREAD too...[/quote]So your uncharitable behavior is the fault of Catholics?

[quote] So your uncharitable behavior is the fault of Catholics?[/quote]

Would it be terribly wrong for me to point out that YOU started the name calling?

[quote]Is your patronizing tone[/quote]

Just wondering, just wondering.

WITH A CAPITAL "C" of course! :topsy:

Edited by Eutychus

Mateo el Feo

BTW, that Australian guy (pictured above) is one of so many evangelicals who use the "Amway" tactic of selling religion.

I find it interesting that Eutychus used the term "marketplace" to describe where he lives, as if we should treat our relationship with Jesus merely as a product that needs to be distributed to consumers.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1041647' date='Aug 11 2006, 05:34 PM']Apparently the 100+ ex catholics each year do....[/quote]
They are in the hands of the living God. He will direct them and lead them as and when he sees fit. Your childish boasting is irrelevant to me. My faith is in God, not in how many people do or do not attend your Church.

For future reference, in your "evangelism" excursions, I suggest you not treat people like idiots. Treat us with respect and intelligence, and we will return the favor.

God bless.

Edited by Era Might

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1041651' date='Aug 11 2006, 04:48 PM']
Would it be terribly wrong for me to point out that YOU started the name calling?
Just wondering, just wondering.[/quote]Patronizing isn't name-calling. It is a description.

If you'd like to focus on name-calling, let's start with your use of the term "Romanist."
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanist"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanist[/url]

Eutychus,

I'm sorry that you have had such a poor experience with Catholics in the past. But please don't allow those experiences to taint your view of every Catholic you ever encounter, that would be silly.

This is actually my first on-line encounter with a Protestant, can you honestly say that you have come here in a charitable loving manner? What kind of conclusions are we to draw about Protestants from your behaviour?

Perhaps you should consider the fact that you may be the only Protestant that many people ever have contact with.

In many of your posts it seems as if Catholics are the enemy, well if you honestly believe that, than so be it, but friend, please remember to love your enemy.